1000 - You knew I'd do Something Like This

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/22/2002 11:55 pm
Well, what do I have to say for myself? What insights can I offer? How did I get here? Why shouldn't you stop reading now and go back to practicing? Well, let me try and sort this all out.

It's taken me two years to get here, which as message boards tend to go, is pretty slow. In that time I've seen people come and go, trollers and overzealous Metallica fans chased off, I remember 1000 posts in the Open Discussion area being a big deal, and I've seen the site grow. Two years, one thousand posts... Hell, there's some kid on Pantera's board with over 10,000 posts and he racked them up in about two months. But if you were to break down his posts I'm sure you'd find that none of them say much of anything. Now I don't have a whole lot to say either but atleast I take my time about it.

Yet I still can't seem to figure out what tone I should take here. I could say so many things with this one little wink of spotlight before things go back to normal discussion, the "OOoo 1000!" factor has worn off (like it's that big a deal in the first place). I could give shout outs too all who've helped me out but I'd forget people and that would suck. I could talk about how I got here (my friend and sometimes poster Atomic Mass Unit showed me a thread, and if I remember correctly I felt compelled to argue with somebody). I could talk about how excited I am to pick up my Sunn 1200s tomorow, I could share my thoughts on world politics or modern farming techniques and ethics. Should I thank everybody for their input and thoughts having such an impact on my life? Maybe it would be best to give suggestions to improve the site, or possibly offer up my wisdom on the "low tuned, often fewer stranged" member of the guitar family. But I'm not going to do any of that. Nope.

I'm going to plug my band.

The Bocce Wagon. We rock more than thou!
http://homepage.mac.com/macbooy/FileSharing1.html
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
02/23/2002 12:30 am
I feel stupid having started a thread dedicated to this moment, now... Hmm, so what's it like? you seen so many come and go... or is just *shrug*?
hmmmm... 1200watts... THAT'S NOT A F_ING AMP! THAT'S LIKE A PORTABLE EARTHQUAKE GENERATOR....
(i'm downloading northfield special... f-me!!! you can play bass... hmmm, thier is a whiff, niegh, a suspition of Les Claypool in your style... :)... it's better than standing, sorry that was ok like, but seths voice on the first part that he sings didn't go down to well here... is that you singing in there as well?...cool.. I'm impressed)..
did this place ever get political in the old days?..
Why did you join?(be more specific)... I remember why i joined... sigh, t'was the august of the year of the last.. and i were looking for the music for tony hearst "gallery" part of the show (i used to watch this as a kid, and loved it), and I asked...and got nothing, so I was gonna leave... and then i got political... and before I knew it, i was caught... I was moderator...
Some cool phrases written in dressing rooms for those early days bands...(made me smile, but that shows you really...)
"[put the name of heavy metal band here], heavier than a death in the family"
"if tis not heavy, thou art gay"
# 2
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/23/2002 12:36 am
I do the main vocals in NS. Seth did the backing stuff just to make the studio version a little different. Also the noodly, delayed guitar part with some hacking and coughing behind the disclaimer is me. Seth was responsible for most of the background noise there though. As for Standing, that's the song I'm most proud of right now but I can tell you that Seth isn't happy with the vocal part... he's a perfectionist to the core. I like it though, I think it's some of my best lyrics and bass playing. As for the Claypool influence... Yep, it's there. No denying that.

You'll find The Jailbait Song funkier, longer (over nine minutes), and generally groovier. Also features my original bass solo (the recording is old).

The Political stuff is new.

As for why I joined? Probably a combonation of boredom and feeling like I had something to offer. Whatever the reason, I'm still here.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 3

02/23/2002 2:15 am
Congrats on 1000 Rask. I can't remember off the top of my head when I joined, but I think it was around the same time as you. I remember you from the beginning. You're right, many have come and gone, few have stayed loyal. Remember Josh Underwood? heh... that was a saga and a half. Or how about James_hetfield_is_jesus, or something like that? That was ugly... yup... good times...
# 4

02/23/2002 2:16 am
Actually it seems I signed up a few months before you, and you still double my posts! Impressive...
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/23/2002 2:52 am
an axeman's axeman! :D

While we're waxing nostalgic, do you remember Carlo? He who invited all and sundry to "eat my dirty nappies"?

My first e-mail exchange with rask was to compare notes on our censored replies to above-named piece of vulture vomit.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 6
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/23/2002 11:08 pm
Carlo was something else... hehehehe

As for the number of posts "impressive" isn't the word I'd use. I'd use "obsessive."
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 7
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
02/24/2002 12:10 am
I'm trying to remember the incident that happended when i came... um... cant think of many.. just being outed as an arab by skee1, which was kinda funny really, although, i did a little down about it (no, believe me i do have a life out side this place).. and then we had this group hug moment, when he appologiesed and asked me to come back.. awhh, the good old days... oh and my argumet with christoph, when he jamp in the middle of a raging debate between me and zepplin (not a good idea)... i appologied to him though after that, and we get on ok now...
Ps: email me the carlos thing if you've still got it... sounds funny...
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.