lesson evaluation

Dana McCoy
Dana McCoy
01/01/2011 9:51 pm
I replied to the GT survey. I would like to hear what what suggestions some folks are making. I am particularly interested in the concept of "evaluation" as it relates to completion of a lesson. This is obviously a "self" evaluation. How does one determine at what point one has "completed" a lesson? I understand that this is very relative to the individual, but I am interested how some of us approach this.

One of the down sides to On-line learning is the absence of instructor "critique" which I would think would be vital to say the beginner or younger student especially, that doesn't know how to evaluate themselves and/or able to determine whether they have actually "completed" their lesson. Seems like this could possibly invite frustration and short term participation.

Just a thought.....Can anyone relate?

dmacsong aka Dana McCoy
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
01/02/2011 12:24 pm
Originally Posted by: Dana McCoyOne of the down sides to On-line learning is the absence of instructor "critique" which I would think would be vital to say the beginner or younger student especially, that doesn't know how to evaluate themselves and/or able to determine whether they have actually "completed" their lesson. Seems like this could possibly invite frustration and short term participation.

I agree with the sentiment. :) I've experienced it and have seen many folks post similarly. Usually the response is that when you understand the lesson, you can move on. Even if you can't do it perfectly, the idea is that you will continue to practice it, but are still ready for new information.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
Dana McCoy
Dana McCoy
01/05/2011 5:45 pm
I understand...I've always believed that anyone that REALLY wants to learn to play... "will play until their fingers bleed!" which is saying the same thing a different way. I'm just thinking that with the diversity of learning types, there would be corresponding "systems" of approach for the different personality types. I guess what GT is trying to provide is a number of general tools that any learning type can utilize, in developing their own system of learning guitar, thereby creating their own means of "tracking" their progress.

Sorry, I am just thinking out loud as someone who is trying to create their own system of tracking..... just about there I think....:) :)
# 3
chapmandb
chapmandb
01/06/2011 5:46 pm
I said basically the same thing: it would be nice to be able to grade yourself (A, B, C, D, F) after each chapter, at least then you could remember how well you felt you picked up the lesson and could go back later to redo the lower grades later. I personally get to a point where I feel comfortable that I've the general idea down, that I can play it decently (at least a few times without messing up), and then I move on. If I get to a point that is too difficult then I go back and redo a couple of lessons, then try the difficult lesson again, then rinse and repeat.

Right now I'm stuck on the faster transitions between chords (80-120 bpm) and learning the annoying B min, F min and G min (I stink at any chord that requires you to lay down a finger over multiple strings), so i'm just doing those mixed in with random older lessons so my hand doesn't fall off. Hopefully barre chords will be my salvation.
# 4
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
01/14/2011 8:59 am
I know what you mean... it would be great to have some sort of evaluation feature to the site, just to make sure you're on track. But I suspect that would be an added expense, and I think the monthly rate for this site is super reasonable.

I approach basically like Razbo is describing, but I do try to make sure I'm not building on poor technique. For instance, I won't let the fact I'm struggling to master a chord stop me from moving ahead and learning a new finger picking style. But if that lesson calls for using that same chord I'm struggling with, then I know its time to focus on getting that chord down pat. I also try to make sure that in the end, I can do the lesson perfectly just so I don't leave any unfinished business. I find it helps to keep a journal, taking notes of what needs improvement so I know what to focus on next practice.
# 5
Shen Li
Shen Li
01/14/2011 5:16 pm
@Slipin Lizard: Keeping a journal is exactly what I do, too !

I also did the survey and what I would like to see is a feature to mark lessons / tutorials as completed. Maybe even show it somewhere in my individual profile, the things I have already mastered (or think I have mastered :P ). That would not only help me keep track of what I have already done and still need to do, but it's also a nice incentive I think, getting all the checkboxes green ... Hey most guitarists are collectors anyway (Gear Acquisition Syndrome anyone?) :)

just my 2 cent

greets!
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.