Classical vs Steel String

TiminOhio
TiminOhio
11/13/2010 4:54 pm
I recently purchased an Esteban guitar - acoustic steel string which for the money seems an excellent value to me so far, especially since I am combining Esteban's teaching DVDs with Guitar Trick's lessons.

But Esteban had his classical (nylon string/wider neck) on special and I was wondering if I should have started on a classical before the steel string....although my fingers have toughened up already, but I don't want to wait too long as the guitar will sell out since it is on special.

What do you think....and what is your brief experience that supports your view please.
# 1
hunter1801
hunter1801
11/13/2010 8:13 pm
Depends on the music you want to play. The sound is the main difference. You can learn on any guitar.
# 2
samata
samata
11/13/2010 8:57 pm
Well, I'll preface my reply with "I've only been playing 3 months, but...."

I have both a steel scouting and a nylon classical. And, I enjoy playing both of them. Sometimes, I like playing the acoustic with (or without) pick, and really "getting those strings humming". And, other times, I like to pick up the classical and quietly pluck away classical tunes. It's a different kind of playing.

It's like asking "should I get a hot rod, or a 4 x 4?" Both are different, both have their advantages, and frankly, I enjoy having both.
Quickly advancing from inept to semi-ept
# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
11/13/2010 9:02 pm
Originally Posted by: TiminOhioI recently purchased an Esteban guitar - acoustic steel string which for the money seems an excellent value to me so far, especially since I am combining Esteban's teaching DVDs with Guitar Trick's lessons.

But Esteban had his classical (nylon string/wider neck) on special and I was wondering if I should have started on a classical before the steel string....although my fingers have toughened up already, but I don't want to wait too long as the guitar will sell out since it is on special.

What do you think....and what is your brief experience that supports your view please.

I would not jump on the deal.

My wife got the Esteban guitar before I met her. She never played it much. It was not a comfortable fit (size) for her. I just played it for the first time last week. It is a decent guitar. If you were going to get another guitar, I would save and move up the chain a little. It's not that the Esteban is a bad guitar at all but it does what that value of a guitar would do, get you started.

For my wife, we decided we may go with a Taylor Baby (smaller for her - it's a 3/4 scale guitar). Gotta say, it was a blast to play. Very easy to play and to get used to the instrument. Only $300 too.

Point being, don't go for a deal because it's a deal. You have the bug and it appears you may be 'hooked'. It might be the time to move up the scale and do your playing growth a favor.

Side note - The female host of the Esteban (Shannon) informercial...I used to go to college with her and worked at the college radio station with her. Works on HSN too...Wild little world, isn't it?
# 4
TiminOhio
TiminOhio
11/21/2010 12:20 am
Well I don't have to dwell on it because his classical sold out! It was a step up from his original classical which had sold out two months earlier.

I am sticking with the steel string until later, but I noticed that set-up and strings seem to be the most important issue. I have the Rock-On Esteban guitar and all I had to do was loosen the Truss Rod to give neck a little bow - used the business card trick - Cappo on 1st fret behind bar and depressed 13th fret and tap sting at seventh frett. There was little vibration so space needed increased (bow) and business card was to snug between string and fret bar at the 6th and 7th bars. Then I measured the space at the 13th frett which was too high. So I took out my saddle and got this new "fine" grade of hand sanding block from home depot and removed a small amout of material evenly by sanding the bottom of the saddle (about 2x the amount of space you want to decrease at the 13th frett). Having done that it plays very nicely! but I am still not quite sure how to use my guitar tuner to set intonation of each string and sand/file the angle of the saddle on the pin side of the bridge versus the sound hole side. I wonder if these so-called luthiers even do that? Perhaps a good one does.
I'll wait for a better guitar to come along at an "opportunity" price.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.