View post (Classical vs Steel String)

View thread

TiminOhio
TiminOhio
11/21/2010 12:20 am
Well I don't have to dwell on it because his classical sold out! It was a step up from his original classical which had sold out two months earlier.

I am sticking with the steel string until later, but I noticed that set-up and strings seem to be the most important issue. I have the Rock-On Esteban guitar and all I had to do was loosen the Truss Rod to give neck a little bow - used the business card trick - Cappo on 1st fret behind bar and depressed 13th fret and tap sting at seventh frett. There was little vibration so space needed increased (bow) and business card was to snug between string and fret bar at the 6th and 7th bars. Then I measured the space at the 13th frett which was too high. So I took out my saddle and got this new "fine" grade of hand sanding block from home depot and removed a small amout of material evenly by sanding the bottom of the saddle (about 2x the amount of space you want to decrease at the 13th frett). Having done that it plays very nicely! but I am still not quite sure how to use my guitar tuner to set intonation of each string and sand/file the angle of the saddle on the pin side of the bridge versus the sound hole side. I wonder if these so-called luthiers even do that? Perhaps a good one does.
I'll wait for a better guitar to come along at an "opportunity" price.