ooooh, LIFE WITHOUT BIULDINGS!!!!! Listen to em...

educatedfilm
educatedfilm
02/13/2002 12:37 am
Right, I'll probably get into trouble for this.. So I'll delete this in a few days...
http://www.audiogalaxy.com/list/searches.php?SID=e2811b097d0bc228b96c1c6ec81639fd&searchType=0&searchStr=life+without+buildings
Listen to "NEW TOWN", "PS Exclusive" and "JUNO"... I'm all excited cos they're one of my faviourite new bands, and usualy nobody ever hears em, so end up looking like a rambling fool (no soo far from the truth).. those songs are the easiest to enjoy at first, the others are more acquired, her voice gets irratating after a while, but then you begin to like, a bit rob plant in that respect...

The giutar parts are very simple, and almost child like, the music is very melodic in general.. but it's the vocals that do it, the strange child like sound, that conjurses up words that throw you about (I mean it's difficult to follow what she is talking about), and sometimes she throws in some serious questions that maybe even gets a little philisophical... I would say New town is probably one of the best love songs i've heard...
Definetly worht a listen... please have a listen, and give me some honest feed back, but dont just say "it sucked", tell me why you think what you do... BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HURRY!!!!!
# 1
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
02/13/2002 12:49 am
I've just relized how clever the front cover of "love trinity" is...

Those rings that look like they've been drawn by a three year old... I Think they're the first/second formants for human voice, which conincidently follows the features of the womans face (lead singer i think) pretty cool eh?... better than some of the stuff I saw at the tate gallery..
<>

[Edited by educatedfilm on 02-12-2002 at 06:52 PM]
# 2
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
02/14/2002 10:35 pm
any one bothered to listen?
oh well, you can take a horse to water, but you cant make it drink....
# 3
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
02/15/2002 5:10 am
Well, I went to the trouble of downloading "New Town". (heh, I kinda felt sorry for you, cause nobody else had posted . . . )

What can I say . . . I'm certainly glad I didn't go to the trouble of downloading more. This has gotta be one of the worst things I've ever heard. (it's even worse than Nivana, hehehe) How this song could be over 6 minutes long boggles my mind. It's the same old cliche alternative rhythm with a maddeningly repetitive guitar and bass going over and over. I don't know what those vocals were supposed to be, or if they were even supposed to be vocals, but they were terrible. It was like she was trying to sing but couldn't quite pull it off and ended up with a hodge-podge of repeating noises.

Anyway, there you have it. (heh . . . you asked)
# 4
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
02/15/2002 12:29 pm
fair enough, did you listen to the lyrics though? (they are pretty difficult to discern)
I just thought you know, poeple might like something that was something that needed listening to, to get, something with depth and charecter... the reason i like this is because the melody is very simple and honest, and there's concepts in there (as opposed to 3 minutes of whinging about relationships)... um she can sing, like on 14days, but on this track she doesnt, it kinda verges on singing, but not quite... yeah the giutar is very simple (as i said before), but for me it works... the seems fond of harmonics on other tracks though... I wouldn't call it cliche cos i haven't heard stuff that uses that type of playing (not that simplified anyway)...
hmmm, looks like i was wrong... then again just might not be your thing...
thanks for you time though :)...
# 5
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
02/15/2002 4:08 pm

No, it's definitely not my thing. It might be someone else's thing, but it's not mine. I like my music a little more complex (ya know, music that you have to listen to a few times for it to grow on you)

I meant the drum rhythm. It's a slightly overused 90's alternative rhythm. I called it cliche because I've heard it a million times. (if you want to hear some original rhythms, check out Sevendust. Those guys can do more stuff with a 4/4 than you could imagine)
# 6
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
02/15/2002 6:33 pm
I have heard some sevendust stuff it ok (pretty good)... I do listen to like at the drive in, tool, primus, swerve driver, primal scream, (and other more comlicated) stuff, but i really cant abide (this is purely my oppinion) bands like hoobstank, nickel back, linkin park (all PRS bands)... stuff wich is really thin on top, and tries to be as rock as possible whilst coming danerously close to pop.. :)
some times you listen to stuff like this cos it's difficult to follow when you start, but then it really grows on you, and the lyrics are pretty clever at points... it kinda stops you from getting that feeling of your brain cells getting more and more lonely..
Have you listened to it again? (have you figured out the rough ball park of the meaning of the song? I say rough ball park, cos even i haven't figured out exactly what it's about)
Thanks again for yer time christoph :), better than no one saying anything..

[Edited by educatedfilm on 02-15-2002 at 12:36 PM]
# 7
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
02/16/2002 5:13 am

I'll agree with you on Linkin Park. Definitely "thin on top" . . . just a bunch of white suburban boys whining about how much everything "sucks". Gimme a break . . .

What's PRS?
# 8
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/16/2002 4:34 pm
Paul Reed Smith.

Carlos Santana, Larry LaLonde (Primus), Mike from Incubus, and lots of other people play them.

As well as a lot of nu-metal bands.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 9
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
02/16/2002 5:37 pm

Uh . . . ok. I don't quite see what that has to do with anything though. Care to enlighten me, Ed?
# 10
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
02/16/2002 10:46 pm
hmm, it's nothing to do with the giutar it self.. but it seems to be a common factor, and it kinda embodies that childish thinking, "as soon as i get some money I'm gonna get me a kick ass PRS" regardless of wether there's better giutars (for the same MASSIVELY INFLATED PRICE!!! i know they've got mahogeny bodies an' all, but that giutar is sooo over hyped it aint true..) ... just keep an eye out, and watch what giutars the crap bands play... I mean a good giutar is no substitute for good music...:), and it's also a giutar with an image...
End then it's just one of these quirky little things I notice... like the fact nu-metal bass players seemed to ashamed to even think about 4 string... they've all got 5 (or 6 in the case of alien ant farm) string... but that maybe down the style and the fact it's good for the fact that even bass players a de-tuning by a step or more these days... sorry about the fact that i rant alot these days... I'm still upset with cakewalk...
# 11
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
02/17/2002 12:31 am
Originally posted by educatedfilm
hmm, it's nothing to do with the giutar it self.. but it seems to be a common factor . . .

Well dude, Limp Bizkit plays Ibanez (at least that Borland clown did), so that kinda shoots that theory down . . .

Did you get Cakewalk figured out? (uncheck "stretch from tempo")
# 12
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
02/17/2002 2:08 pm
haven't sorted out cakewalk yet.. cos the pc has been formated and had Windows xp put on.. oh yeah an the whole pc has been upgraded... I'll go install cakewalk now actaaully, oh hold on the speakers dont work on this stupid pc, cos the power supply is normally take from a male socket, which isn't there :( :(... but thank's VERY VERY VERY much christoph, i think what you talking about sounds right... (i'll take that back if it doesn't work.. lol)..
hehe my theory was never super strings or (bloody m-theory which made me lose sleep cos what the f- are the other 7 out 11 dementions?) anything, it's just summit i noticed (with the bands I dont like anyway.. so that's: link'n park, hoob stank, lost prophets (great name though), incubus (i'll get linched for that), Nickle back , Sum 41 etc)
# 13
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/17/2002 3:56 pm
incubus (i'll get linched for that)

::Belts Ed with a five string::

Ok, I'm happy now.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 14
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
02/17/2002 4:05 pm
f- me, that hurt!!!... right this is war... I hope you got some vasilne, for your five string, cos i'm gonna stick up your ---

[Edited by educatedfilm on 02-17-2002 at 10:19 AM]
# 15
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
02/18/2002 12:23 am

Incubus? Yeah, I'll agree with you. They're not anything special.
# 16
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
02/18/2002 12:38 am
hmmm... it's strange that me and you agree on things but form 180 degrees...well, it's a like a black and white photo and it's negative... some of the patches are complete opposites.. but that bland grey tone turns up on both... :) still no one else listen life with out biuldings... oh well... at least i dont feel like an arse now that this thread has got to 3 pages...:)
# 17
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/18/2002 2:27 am
That's ok, I'm still right.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 18
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
02/18/2002 5:09 am
. . . at least i dont feel like an arse now that this thread has got to 3 pages...:)

LOL . . . true.

By the way dude, if you like that "Life Without Buildings" stuff then you might like Garbage. They're sorta like that, except they use a lot of industrial sounds. Oh yeah . . . and they don't suck.

# 19
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
02/18/2002 12:10 pm
yeah i do like garbage... well their ealier stuff anyway... but For industrail You really need to listen to Primal Scream (if you like industrail u'll love "exterminator", cheesy name i know... but great album... especially "swastica eyes" or "kill all hippies" which is a film reference by the way, but some murderous base lines for that song).. If you start getting into industrail it is easier to get into some of the better dance acts like the chemical brothers, orbital, underworld... thanks for posting guys... I think i got enough pages to feel semi-respectable, lol
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.