I'm still having trouble....

samata
samata
08/18/2010 5:47 am
I sort of alluded to this in previous postings, and got some good advice, but I think I've narrowed down the "problem" now, I wasn't really specific, and it's driving me crazy. My guitar has a LOT of sympathetic vibration and ringing of the strings. The very, very slightest touch on the high E will set the A and low E ringing. And, of course, when I'm playing it, it's not the "slightest touch", and I hear a lot of ringing following me. I've been assured that this is normal harmonics for the guitar and not a problem (so, *I* am the problem... lol)

I've been trying to palm mute the lower strings as I play the upper strings. It's helping. But, I'm not sure what I should be doing in general to "control" this as I play?? Strumming and chords seems to even itself out, but while single note picking the harmonic ringing is really getting to me.

I've searched pretty hard for video help here, but all I can find are the ones that have just a basic mention of muting in the fundamentals videos, or more commonly videos of muting as a "technique" and not to control ringing. So, I suppose the FIRST question is, does someone know a video that will help that I've missed??

And secondly, just HELP! And any advice for this newbie would be very much appreciated!

Thanks
Scott
Quickly advancing from inept to semi-ept
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
08/18/2010 11:25 am
Muting is kind of an art in itself. Although used as a technique to get certain sounds in music, it's general purpose is to stop strings from producing unwanted noise, so it's going to help you stop the unwanted string-ringing.

You can mute with the right hand (palm muting) and also with the left hand by muting adjacent strings with the fingers holding the chord notes, and even with any left over fingers or thumbs. This is trickier than palm muting but I believe all these methods are covered in the tutorials you've viewed.

You just need to continue practicing. Muting is not just a blanket string silencer, it can be very selective in which strings you mute. And it's not easy concentrating on that extra thing while you are trying to learn chords and just getting started.

One little trick (and there is a GT tip of the week on this one) is to use a scrunchie (women's hair ponytail thingy)and slip it over the nut area. Adjust it so that it just deadens the ringing strings. Ultimately, though, you'll want to get the muting techniques down pat.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.