View post (I'm still having trouble....)

View thread

samata
samata
08/18/2010 5:47 am
I sort of alluded to this in previous postings, and got some good advice, but I think I've narrowed down the "problem" now, I wasn't really specific, and it's driving me crazy. My guitar has a LOT of sympathetic vibration and ringing of the strings. The very, very slightest touch on the high E will set the A and low E ringing. And, of course, when I'm playing it, it's not the "slightest touch", and I hear a lot of ringing following me. I've been assured that this is normal harmonics for the guitar and not a problem (so, *I* am the problem... lol)

I've been trying to palm mute the lower strings as I play the upper strings. It's helping. But, I'm not sure what I should be doing in general to "control" this as I play?? Strumming and chords seems to even itself out, but while single note picking the harmonic ringing is really getting to me.

I've searched pretty hard for video help here, but all I can find are the ones that have just a basic mention of muting in the fundamentals videos, or more commonly videos of muting as a "technique" and not to control ringing. So, I suppose the FIRST question is, does someone know a video that will help that I've missed??

And secondly, just HELP! And any advice for this newbie would be very much appreciated!

Thanks
Scott
Quickly advancing from inept to semi-ept