Buongiorno!

darionapoli74
darionapoli74
07/31/2010 6:41 am
Hi everyone, glad to have joined what seems to be a wonderful site and community! After about 16 years in the US, I now live, teach and gig here in Italy (for now at least). I've played several styles, from blues to rock and jazz but in the last few years have focused on gypsy jazz and regularly perform in this style. I hope to learn a lot, help whenever possible and make great connections,
Dario

http://www.youtube.com/user/darionapoli74
http://www.myspace.com/darionapoli74music
# 1
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
07/31/2010 8:34 am
Hey Dario,
Welcome to GT, you'll like it here. I'm mostly known for country, and bluegrass on here. I play many styles though, including some Django stuff. I never got to meet him, but I have an LP of him and the great Stephane Grapelli. I actually got to play "Minor Swing" with him at a party once. He and a fiddle player named Dr. Earl V. Spielman were good friends, and I played alot with Earl. We used to play at these parties all night with 60 - 2500 pickers, and we played many shows with a 5 or 6 piece band too. Earl said he was going to have a party, and we never knew who would show up. John Pell a teacher from Belmont in Nashville was a regular, and many other great players. In some cases it would be full bands, our group was called New River Band. Those sure were some great times, thanks for letting me relive that. Stephane stayed all night and played bluegrass with us, and of course we played swing too.

I actually learned about Django from Tony Rice, and then did a little studying about him. I'm glad you joined, and I'm hoping you'll let yourself play some bluegrass too. I recently got in from a show, just winding down and reliving a great memory thanks to you. I'll catch you on the boards, and hopefully we can chat about guitar pickers.
# 2
darionapoli74
darionapoli74
08/01/2010 7:18 am
Wow, that was great to hear, must have been great to play with Grappelli! I can only imagine... Well, it's my pleasure to meet you, I don't play bluegrass, at least not yet but am good friends with Don Stiernberg and Steven Briggs (bluenightrecords.com) who do. We used to play in Chicago. I also got to jam with Beppe Gambetta a couple of times, in any case, thanks so much for sharing those experiences with me, it was a thrill to listen to. Good luck with your upcoming shows and yes, we'll talk soon, ciao!
Dario
# 3
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
08/01/2010 10:01 am
Hey Dario,
Those parties were a blast, got to jam with so many great players. David Grisman was another, and also Sam Bush, Bela Fleck, and this Could take a while, lol.

Just kidding, definitely don't want to type that much. When I lived in Nashville, we were always going to jam sessions in between tour dates. There was this one jam we used to go to called the "Full Moon Bluegrass Festival", we would get there just before nightfall and break out the instruments. More than once I've found myself saying let's just play one more the following afternoon. I don't get to play bluegrass as often now, it's a real treat if I get to play it these days. Mostly picking on the electrics now, classic, and southern rock, some blues, western swing, classic, and new country, rockabilly, even some of those tunes from south of the border.

You've done some jamming too, bet it was great to pick with those guys. I'm pretty sure I have a friend that is on their label, have to check with him and see if that's the name of it.

We encored on our last show last night, so I'm still pumped up from the performance. I'm sure we'll chat more about guitar pickers in the future. Enjoy the rest of the weekend, and keep on picking.
# 4
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/01/2010 2:19 pm
Welcome, Dario!

I love Gypsy Jazz. So glad to have you with us here at Guitar Tricks.

Best wishes, Lisa
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 5
darionapoli74
darionapoli74
08/01/2010 5:05 pm
Ah, I love David Grisman, got to see him and meet him in Chicago, and Sam Bush, they both played with Don Stiernberg.
Hi Lisa, great to meet also, looking forward to the connections on thus site, ciao!
# 6
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
08/04/2010 7:36 am
Hey Dario,
We'll talk more about musicians I'm sure, met these guys when I was strictly an acoustic player. Co founder and lead man in a bluegrass band, that had a rep for being a little over the edge in our music. I've picked with many others since I got the first tele in 94, and still got to play bluegrass at the parties, and jam sessions too.

I started out as a traditionalist, and only played bluegrass for years. When I started writing songs, some of them didn't fit in the realm of traditional bluegrass. I had many influences in music, and that really shows in my originals. I'm not a big fan of opera, and only care for rap with a live band. Anything else may be found on my music player, Flatt & Scruggs, The Falla Guitar trio, Merle Haggard, Prince, Django, Ozzy, Metallica, and all things in between. I'm a fan of guitar, all styles, clean or screaming, fast, slow, funky, swinging, you get the idea, lol.

Keep in touch, and let me know if I can help you with anything.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.