Every Wah but mine

maser
maser
01/30/2002 11:12 am
Ok, I have been searching for the Wah tone I hear all over the place in Rock/Metal, etc. From Hammet to Via, but I cant find it. I actually use the same Wah that Hammet uses but the problem is, even w/ distorion/overdrive heavy gain...it still sounds like Im playing blues like Clapton or Vaughn. The volume and gain is lost as I go up, which doesn't seem to happen to the aforementioned players. I have personally been to several different tour concerts for Metallica in 90 and 97. At the 97 one I had front row(snake pit stage setup so there are 4 front rows) and I saw Hammet using the full range of his wah he had setup on stage, so I know it cant be a range issue. Im looking for the tone that can be found on the black album. But I just cant. I think I might start whining like a baby cause its so frustrating :)

Ive tried moving the wah before the gain, after the gain, and the next move is to the trash. Ive used every setting the thing has (Its a Crybaby 535Q) Annoying. Annoying. Can anyone maybe give me a hand!

Mai Zure - So overdriven, he sh*ts distortion
# 1
Bardsley
Bardsley
01/31/2002 6:42 am
The Dunlop is a good wah, so it's not that. My suspicion is that Metallica would get a lot of their distortion by overdriving some heavy marshal stacks, or something similar. The only other thing I can think of is that you should try fiddling with the eq on your amp. Also, try using distortion after the wah, then another lot of distortion at the amp itself. There is little substitute for an overdriven tube amp though, which is generally not practical unless you are playing gigs.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 2
guitargod420
guitargod420
02/01/2002 1:16 am
to capture the sound of the black album your gonna need alot of distortion , metallica used Mesa-Boogie Triple reticifier amp and that amp is pretty bad. as far as where you should set your way from the amp go to your distortion and then wah then guitar, and as for the wah pedal i use the same pedal i have my boost at about 3 o'clock and the variable Q at max with the Q Dial all the way clock wise then back one click and i use a boss metal zone , as for kirks set up besides the mesa he also used a ibanez tube screamer, boss SE-50 and he used A Dunlop wah modified with dunlop electronics in a ernie ball volume pedal case, he also used EMB audio remote wahs and EMB/Ernie ball wahs that are custom so its gonna be a little hard to capture his sound i also wanted my wah to sound the same but life sucks

peace

[Edited by fendermonkey77 on 01-31-2002 at 08:10 PM]
# 3
el metallico
el metallico
02/08/2002 3:26 am
i know this is kinda off the subject but you said that your next move of that pedal is to the trash... its actually the wah ive been looking for, for like a couple months... if you would like to sell it, i would be an intrested buyer. thanks
# 4
maser
maser
02/08/2002 6:48 am
I was actually using a figure of speech, Im not really going to put it in the trash. I just have to figure out how to get more than one tone out of the silly thing. I probably do need a heavier system since Im only using a Marshall AVT20 with no external cabs
Mai Zure - So overdriven, he sh*ts distortion
# 5
Bardsley
Bardsley
02/09/2002 4:42 am
If you feel like your tone doesn't change much as you use the dials, you are probably using too much gain. There is nothing better at killing subtle tonal differences than heaps of gain. When I said that Metallica probably use huge amps, I would advise agianst you doing the same uneless you do serious gigging. Your'e never going to get a good overdriven tone with a big amp, because it will be just too damn loud. Check out the discussions that Lordathestrings has had about small tube amps in his tech talk forum.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 6
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/09/2002 5:19 am
I've always liked having two distortions: One for rythm playing that was all out disortion and a good overdrive (to give a volume boost and more sustain) for leads. The "lead" distortion will probably be more co-operative with your wah pedal.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7
Elmo45
Elmo45
02/11/2002 11:31 pm
Have you considered having it hardwire bypass modified?
# 8
joey
joey
02/19/2002 2:35 pm
Originally posted by Raskolnikov
I've always liked having two distortions: One for rythm playing that was all out disortion and a good overdrive (to give a volume boost and more sustain) for leads. The "lead" distortion will probably be more co-operative with your wah pedal.

Hey my man i believe Mr Hammet used a coloursound wah wah on the black album,hence your frustration.There a very old wah wah from the 60's I have two but the only other amazing player that uses this wah is th edge from U2.
hope I could hepl dude
with gratitude joey
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.