Underrated AND Overrated guitarists

classicallives
classicallives
01/09/2011 11:31 pm
too say malmsteen is overrated is a groundless claim. his speed is prolific but the depth in which he constructs his music is second to none. someone like blackmore was OKAY but his soloing was dull and listless. that style of blues, funk rock takes no where near the ammount of dedication and tecnhique that classical style playing does, alot of malmsteens songs are derrived and inspired by bach, vivaldi, paganini, especially paganini and his music was largely performed on violin which is tuned in 5th and to play it on guitar is immensly difficlt. his style is broad and solos are full of passion and life, none of the formentioned guitarists even come close to his skill and technique maybe hendrix vai and satch but besides that, no funk prog blues querky guitarist comes close :)
# 1
JonChorba
JonChorba
01/10/2011 5:30 pm
I always thought Lindsay Buckingham was always underrated.
Looking for Guitar Lesson in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? Check out my Guitar Lessons In Arlington website!
# 2
shaniab
shaniab
01/14/2011 4:28 pm
I am going with lalimacefolle on this one, James Hetfield is not only a monster rhythm player ( still don't know how he plays battery and sings at the same time ) but he can EASILY take on Kirk Hammett and win. I am a HUGE met fan and love both of them, but James can beat Kirk hands down, anybody ever here him play Ecstacy of Gold live,

in youtube type in "metallica Ecstacy of Gold live 2009". James plays the solo and KILLS IT!!! He even uses the wah and doesn't overpower the solo with it. He is a really underrated lead guitarist
# 3
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
01/18/2011 4:00 pm
Originally Posted by: classicallivestoo say malmsteen is overrated is a groundless claim.

Its an opinion, not a claim, so its not groundless. Just because something is difficult to play does not mean its good music to everyone's ears.
# 4
Jerry Dylan
Jerry Dylan
01/23/2011 12:14 am
over: I've got to say that Clapton is a little overrated and John Mayer. John isn't that great a blues player and most of the time he is playing Clapton or S.R.V. licks.
Under: Albert Collins and the most powerful blues ever. he is so soulful and always has a great funky Rhythm Section.
also, Jerry Garcia, his pharsing is stunning and his triplet runs are completely unique
Dickey Betts, he has always been in Duane's shadow and he wrote some of the biggest Allman Brothers hits as well as playing some solos maybe better than Duane
As for Jimi I think he is underrated in the sense that he did so much for the electric guitar. We remember him for "Purple Haze" and "Fire" when his best stuff wasn't the hits. Listen to "A Merman I Should Turn To Be", "Who Knows" "Machine Gun", "Bold As Love", and "Voodoo Chile" (the bluesy version) then tell us he was overrated.
Also Jack White is a better guitarist then people give him credit for. I can't listen to Dead Weather or the Racontuers, but the White Stripes had some really great blues stuff.
# 5
JonChorba
JonChorba
01/23/2011 7:37 pm
Originally Posted by: Jerry Dylanover: John isn't that great a blues player and most of the time he is playing Clapton or S.R.V. licks.
Under:
also, Jerry Garcia, his pharsing is stunning and his triplet runs are completely unique

I hear where you're coming from with Mayer, but I disagree solely on the grounds that the majority of people know him as more of a love song writer than as a guitar player. I only knew him as the dude that wrote "Your Body's a Wonderland" than saw him with Double Trouble on Austin City Limits and went, "Wait a second here.."

Totally agree with Jerry though, much respect!!
Looking for Guitar Lesson in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? Check out my Guitar Lessons In Arlington website!
# 6
Jerry Dylan
Jerry Dylan
01/23/2011 7:47 pm
Yeah Jerry should get more credit than he does now.
john is good because he versitale and can write "Your Body is a wonderland" and play with Double Trouble. But I think if you look at him from just the blues side of it he's playing alot of what has already been done. That being said he does it really well!
# 7
Justin.Ferrari
Justin.Ferrari
03/16/2011 8:12 pm
over - yngwie malmsteen - too much 80s flash :P
under - Billy Sheehan (bass) but damn is he good

over - rusty cooley - just too much shred
under - alexi laiho - just the right amount of shred (under-because hes metal)

that is all :) love this forum btw!
# 8
bodomshred
bodomshred
08/22/2011 12:28 am
Overrated: who cares?
Underrated:
Warren Demartini
Shawn Lane
Jari MƤenpƤƤ
Janick Gers
Roland Grapow
# 9
peter.yelverton66
Full Access
peter.yelverton66
Full Access
07/14/2017 1:22 pm
Originally Posted by: Finally someone who sees things the way I do :)[br][br]The last time I posted on a 'greatest guitarists every' board i was the only one who came up with Lifeson. Nice to know i'm not alone in the guitarist-universe.

You are definitely not alone. I have always thought Lifeson was way underrated. Beyond his playing, you can't play with arguably the greatest drummer in rock and top 5 greatest bassist in rock without being pretty darn good. Some people think you can hide behind other great players, but actually you would stand out more if you weren't on the same level.

# 10
Scott Hann
Scott Hann
07/15/2017 5:11 pm

I have yet to see anyone list Prince as an underrated guitarist, so I'll throw his name out there. Neil Giraldo is overshadowed by his wife's fame (Pat Benatar), but is a solid guitarist in my opinon. And here's one probably no one has thought of: Andy Griffith. Ever hear him play fingerstyle guitar on his show? Not bad! Also Roy Clark of "Hee Haw" fame.

Overrated for my money is Lenny Kravitz. He appears to be trying to be someone he isn't. Eric Clapton, although very sound technically, isn't someone I find particualrly innovative either. Regaring Jimi Hendrix I'm on the fence. To me, he's the KISS of guitarists. How much substance remains after all the smoke and mirrors (pedals, performing style, dress) is open to interpretation.

# 11
Dan809
Dan809
07/16/2017 12:48 am

Just managed to run through this entire thread... Wow. A lot of varying opinions.

One thing that struck me as very odd was someone claiming Paul McCartney was an overrated guitarist. Why did his name even come up? He mostly plays bass, piano, and is known for his songwriting. I don't believe I've ever seen anyone claim that he's a guitar virtuoso. He may have played acoustic guitar on some of his solo stuff, but I don't remember ever seeing a six-string in his hands as a Beatle. His bandmate George Harrison on the other hand was definitely underrated as a guitarist.

As for overrated vs underrated, I'm not a huge fan of shredding, so not much of the Satch/Vai/etc stuff appeal to me. Overrated? I'll leave that to others.

Hard to say too many guitarists are underrated, but one that strikes me as flying under the radar of a lot is Joe Walsh (solo, James Gang, Eagles). His solo stuff and his band work, his lead and his slide work, the guy makes anything he's playing sing - Tele, Strat, LP, Gretsch, or his more recent guitar, a custom Carvin - doesn't waste notes. To me, most of all, he does this and appears to be having fun doing it and doesn't take things too seriously (listen to Life's Been Good - you might be able to find the film clip somewhere). Saw him on two Eagles tours of Australia and really regret not being able to go the last time they were out here in 2015.

While I won't say he's underrated, John Fogerty (Credence Clearwater Revival) surprised me when I saw him live a number of years ago. Strapped into a Music Man of some sort and shredded like Vai. His CCR and solo stuff though was good at fitting the song.

Dan George

Brisbane, Australia

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1996 Maple Sunburst Fender Standard Stratocaster (Mexico)

2006 Ebony Epiphone Les Paul Custom

2008 Maton EM325C Acoustic

2010 Maple Sunburst US Deluxe Stratocaster

2011 Vox AC15C1 Valve Amp

Zoom G9.2tt Effects Set

On Order:

Hagstrom Super Viking

Boss Katana 100

# 12
wolfsmg
wolfsmg
07/17/2017 7:26 am

None of the guitarists that make me want to learn to play guitar seem to make any of the "greatest lists" (okay, maybe a few). So I feel that a lot of my favorites are underrated. Most of favorites are on my list because they make solid music.

Daniel Ash - Yes, he experimented a lot, but he was willing to push his boundaries.

Steve Kilbey, Marty Wilson-Piper, Peter Koppes - The second I heard their playing as The Church, I was hooked and "Under the Milky Way" is on my "Learn to Play" list.

Robert Smith - I feel that he wrote solid songs.

Nuno Bettencourt - He seems to make a lot of older lists as an "Honorable Mention", but I love his range of playing.

I totally agree with Dan809, Joe Walsh is a very underrated player. I've also had to explain to fellow guitarists that Paul McCartney was mostly a bassist (although he is one heck of a writer).

My overrated list would mostly include shredders (but I grew up listening to classic rock then switched to 80s "progressive/alternative" and "gothic" rock. (Not that modern "gothic" rock garbage.)

What is this "strumming" of which you speak?

Fender Squier Affinity HSS Stratocaster "Kelli"[br]Epiphone Les Paul Special-II LE "Callie"[br]Rogue RA-090 Concert Cutaway Acoustic-Electric Guitar "Theresa"

# 13
JeffS65
JeffS65
07/19/2017 9:21 pm

Don't think I ever added to this thread.

Underrated -

-Steve Stevens (Though a rock guitar player worth his salt would probably not argue it either)

-Neil Geraldo (Pat Benetar). Seriously, there is genious in his playing. Not from a technician's standpoint but his ability to phrase and adapt styles is really something.

-Nancy Wilson (Heart). Go ahead, just whip up that acoustic intro to Crazy On You and tell me that isn't something...

Overrated -

Harder to do cuz who really wants to rip on another guitarist...Well, LOTS of guitarists do but they shouldn't. Maybe Vinnie Vincent (if anyone recalls him)..Was in Kiss and Vincent Vincent Invasion. Good songwriter but that tone and the almost atonal overplaying was not my bag.

# 14
Matthias Hornstein
Matthias Hornstein
07/22/2017 10:25 pm

I think Danny Gatton is underrated or lets say at least unknown to a lot of people...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyjtW-rvWoQ

# 15
Medalleon
Medalleon
08/08/2017 3:04 pm

I don't know how well known he is on the world stage, but there is a local guitarist who I think is amazing... John Butler.

I remember watching on in awe many times back when he was still street busking in Fremantle, Western Australia. The guy has serious talent and now passes on his knowledge to up and coming new artists through his production company.

Check him out on his beaten up old 11 string electric acoustic... one of his older tracks "Ocean" https://youtu.be/jdYJf_ybyVo

# 16
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
08/24/2017 2:23 pm

Just found this discussion, and I just have to say it..... NEIL YOUNG IS NOT A GUITAR PLAYER!!!!!!!! A good preformer, a voice for reason in a world gone mad, and a great song writter, but one of the worlds 100 best guitar players????!!!!! Maybe in an Elvis oriented universe......

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 17
ghostjf13
ghostjf13
09/02/2017 9:50 pm

Underrated: Bill Nelson of Be Bop Deluxe. Frank Marino of Mahogany Rush. Rick Derringer. Listen to his Guitars & Women album.

Overrated: Eric Clapton. He was a pioneer and certainly great in his day, but he reached his peak years ago and has flatlined since. By his own admission he goes weeks without touching a guitar these days. Jack White. I had to laugh when I saw some writer's top 100 guitarists that left out Steve Lukather but included Jack White. And finally, The Edge. He owns his own style but that;s about it.

# 18
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
09/14/2017 10:44 pm
Originally Posted by: ghostjf13

Underrated: Bill Nelson of Be Bop Deluxe. Frank Marino of Mahogany Rush. Rick Derringer. Listen to his Guitars & Women album.

Overrated: Eric Clapton. He was a pioneer and certainly great in his day, but he reached his peak years ago and has flatlined since. By his own admission he goes weeks without touching a guitar these days. Jack White. I had to laugh when I saw some writer's top 100 guitarists that left out Steve Lukather but included Jack White. And finally, The Edge. He owns his own style but that;s about it.

I used to agree with the comment that Eric Clapton was overrated until I heard the album Me and Mr Johnson which was recorded in 2004, then my opinion about Clapton completely changed. His playing on that recording is incredible. I rate Robert Johnson as a highly skilled guitarist in the purest of forms and Clapton managed to record an entire album covering his songs and do it justice in many ways. I'm still not a fan of his other recordings but that album alone shows how talented he really is.

# 19
OnTheRopes
OnTheRopes
10/23/2017 12:49 pm

Under rated, for me Definitely Tony Bourge of Budgie

Rory Galagher I wouldn't say was under rated but sometimes over looked

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.