View post (Underrated AND Overrated guitarists)

View thread

fuzzb0x
fuzzb0x
09/14/2017 10:44 pm
Originally Posted by: ghostjf13

Underrated: Bill Nelson of Be Bop Deluxe. Frank Marino of Mahogany Rush. Rick Derringer. Listen to his Guitars & Women album.

Overrated: Eric Clapton. He was a pioneer and certainly great in his day, but he reached his peak years ago and has flatlined since. By his own admission he goes weeks without touching a guitar these days. Jack White. I had to laugh when I saw some writer's top 100 guitarists that left out Steve Lukather but included Jack White. And finally, The Edge. He owns his own style but that;s about it.

I used to agree with the comment that Eric Clapton was overrated until I heard the album Me and Mr Johnson which was recorded in 2004, then my opinion about Clapton completely changed. His playing on that recording is incredible. I rate Robert Johnson as a highly skilled guitarist in the purest of forms and Clapton managed to record an entire album covering his songs and do it justice in many ways. I'm still not a fan of his other recordings but that album alone shows how talented he really is.