Underrated AND Overrated guitarists

Superhuman
Superhuman
01/26/2006 10:16 pm
Originally Posted by: jiujitsu_jesusKirk Hammett is NOT a crap player. He ain't the special one, true, but neither is he as sloppy as many would have you believe. His soloing on "The Black Album", "Load" and "Reload" is controlled and impressive, and even some of his showier stuff on "...And Justice For All" and "Master of Puppets" is impeccably precise. Okay, so he makes mistakes on some recordings, but he was never purporting to be a technical wizard. He's the lead guitarist in a flamboyant heavy metal band, and his job is to play flamboyant solos that people will remember; and I think he does that quite well.

Superhuman - I agree with you on Clapton and Richards, but Angus Young? Why?

I like Angus and think he is a good player but I can't for the life of me understand why he gets voted into so many top 10 guitarists of all time lists that's all. He ain't bad thats for sure, but is he overated? YES!!!

Cryptic, ok I agree, the St Anger cd is a big steaming dog turd but the earlier stuff was amazing. I actually like the leads on Kill Em All, yes it's cheesy and over the top by todays standards but for it's time it was ground breaking material.

Jolly, I 've never noticed any mistakes in Seek And Destroy, but then again I havent listened THAT closely recently. If there is one there, "I prostrate myself before you and beg your forgiveness" (name that movie)
# 1
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
01/26/2006 11:19 pm
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanI like Angus and think he is a good player but I can't for the life of me understand why he gets voted into so many top 10 guitarists of all time lists that's all. He ain't bad thats for sure, but is he overated? YES!!!

Cryptic, ok I agree, the St Anger cd is a big steaming dog turd but the earlier stuff was amazing. I actually like the leads on Kill Em All, yes it's cheesy and over the top by todays standards but for it's time it was ground breaking material.

Jolly, I 've never noticed any mistakes in Seek And Destroy, but then again I havent listened THAT closely recently. If there is one there, "I prostrate myself before you and beg your forgiveness" (name that movie)

Well, the thing about Hammet is he hits a lot of off notes. When he's tremolo picking you can hear him hit a lot of notes twice that he means to hit only once and such.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 2
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
01/27/2006 12:23 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonWell, the thing about Hammett is he hits a lot of off notes.

Yeah, some of his stuff is sloppy, and he is nowhere near as tasteful a player as Scott Ian or Marty Friedman and the Megadeth crowd. Still, he's managed to create some of the most memorable lead guitar parts in modern rock, despite his sloppiness, and I applaud him for that. And he's great live - few thrash guitarists can wow the audience like Kirk Hammett can.

Superhuman, I agree with you to an extent - in terms of skill, Angus Young cannot hold a candle to other popular guitarists like Jeff Beck or Jimmy Page. But, like these men (and indeed, like Kirk Hammett), he's used what skill he has to compose anthemic guitar solos that are famous the world over. There are plenty who can play with more technical skill or stylistic originality than Angus, but there are few who can reach out to such a huge audience with such impact.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 3
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
01/27/2006 6:28 am
Another guitarist whom I consider overrated (and I'm sure you're all going to flame me for this): Chet Atkins.

Yes, it's difficult to compare him to modern players. Yes, he's influenced so many guitarists it's mind-boggling. Yes, I hate country music with the withering venom of a thousand vipers :D . But really, is his music all that great (or even worth examining)? Was he really all that jaw-droppingly skilful?
I just don't get what's so wonderful about this guy!

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 4
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
01/27/2006 7:05 am
Originally Posted by: jiujitsu_jesusAnother guitarist whom I consider overrated (and I'm sure you're all going to flame me for this): Chet Atkins.

Yes, it's difficult to compare him to modern players. Yes, he's influenced so many guitarists it's mind-boggling. Yes, I hate country music with the withering venom of a thousand vipers :D . But really, is his music all that great (or even worth examining)? Was he really all that jaw-droppingly skilful?
I just don't get what's so wonderful about this guy!

Pick up a DVD and watch him play "Stars and Stripes Forever."
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 5
ozzfest080605
ozzfest080605
02/01/2006 12:22 am
Did anyone ever hear of the metal band CORONER they are so underratted for a great band

RIP
DIMEBAG-PANTERA
RANDY RHOADS-OZZY
JIMI HENDRIX-JIMI HENDRIX
CHRIS OLIVIA-SAVATAGE
KURT COBAIN-NIRVANA
and anyone else I forgot ;)
# 6
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
02/01/2006 5:36 am
Dude, you forgot Cliff Burton! :( How could you? *sniff*

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 7
eclecto69
eclecto69
02/03/2006 2:29 am
Overrated:
Yngwie Malmsteen: A little bit goes a loooooong way with speed, wide vibratos, and did I mention speed? I do like some of his work (Blitzkrieg, Black Star), but after a while it's just a yawn, and sometimes downright ghastly, especially his non-instrumentals (I am a Viking)

Underrated:
JEFF BECK: One of the very few guys who can play a guitar without sounding like he's playing a guitar. Can take a jazz tune and make it rock, and vice versa. And no one can match his tone versatility (due in part, it must be admitted to a wide range of effects pedals). Three words: Blow by blow
# 8
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
02/03/2006 5:43 am
You're absolutely right on both counts. Jeff Beck rocks!

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 9
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/03/2006 7:50 am
Originally Posted by: Superhuman"I prostrate myself before you and beg your forgiveness" (name that movie)

Ace Ventura When Nature Calls. It's the part where he keeps stepping on Greenwalls shoe until he finally gets pissed and says something.

For the record I really don't care for Hammet that much either.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 10
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
02/03/2006 9:16 am
wut is up with malmsteen always puckering like a girl for the camera......i cannot stand him :mad:
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 11
eclecto69
eclecto69
02/04/2006 5:26 pm
Originally Posted by: z0s0_jpwut is up with malmsteen always puckering like a girl for the camera......i cannot stand him :mad:

that's so true!!! hahaha :D
# 12
Rsam16
Rsam16
02/04/2006 7:15 pm
For everybody here who says Clapton is overrated,
Watch this video

"Have You Ever Loved a Woman"(Blues in C)

That is some Crazy Blues Playing
C'mon You gotta admit that it's pretty Impressive.
[FONT=Century Gothic]RSAM16[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]GuitarTricks Resident Eric Clapton Fan[/FONT]
# 13
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
02/04/2006 8:12 pm
Yeah, Clapton is a damn good player. I suppose I'm just bored of him because I've grown up with my Dad's crusty old Eric Clapton CDs on high rotation as background noise!

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 14
alucard0941
alucard0941
02/05/2006 5:50 pm
Originally Posted by: ozzfest080605Did anyone ever hear of the metal band CORONER they are so underratted for a great band

RIP
DIMEBAG-PANTERA
RANDY RHOADS-OZZY
JIMI HENDRIX-JIMI HENDRIX
CHRIS OLIVIA-SAVATAGE
KURT COBAIN-NIRVANA
and anyone else I forgot ;)

oh dude, Criss Oliva is one of the most underrated guitarist ever. He's definitly one of the highlights of eighties shredders.
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 15
alucard0941
alucard0941
02/05/2006 5:54 pm
Actually, I like alot of Malsteen's songs with lyrics. It makes me want to sing in high pitches with no pants :p
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 16
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
02/06/2006 3:19 am
Originally Posted by: alucard0941Actually, I like alot of Malsteen's songs with lyrics. It makes me want to sing in high pitches with no pants :p

Why would high pitches have no pants in the first place?
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 17
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
02/06/2006 3:32 am
Originally Posted by: alucard0941oh dude, Criss Oliva is one of the most underrated guitarist ever. He's definitly one of the highlights of eighties shredders.

SIRENS!!!!!!! Savatage was one of my fav's :cool:
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 18
alucard0941
alucard0941
02/06/2006 3:47 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonWhy would high pitches have no pants in the first place?

the singer never wears pants, it was only funny if youve ever seen Malmsteen and band in concert.
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 19
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
02/06/2006 3:57 am
Originally Posted by: alucard0941the singer never wears pants, it was only funny if youve ever seen Malmsteen and band in concert.

I know, I'm just poking a bit of fun at your misplaced modifier.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.