Underrated AND Overrated guitarists

whim73
whim73
05/23/2020 5:51 pm

As far as I'm concerned Rory Gallagher couldn't be rated highly enough. I think Mark Knopfler often gets overlooked too....just listen to Sultans of Swing on The Alchemy album. Bliss. Paco De Lucia.....that guy could play!

Might The Edge be a little overrated?

# 1
hunter.kane
hunter.kane
07/11/2020 11:03 pm

Under I'd say Malcom Young, Hillel Slovak (listen to early rhcp if you don't already know any he was really talented), Ritchie Blackmore, and Billy Corgan, listen the Geek USA solo.

Overrated, these could be controversial so don't kill me, Eric Clapton, and Kurt Cobain, Don't get me wrong I love nirvana but Kurt was not a humongously talented guitarist, he was very creative and a master of less-is-more, but he wasn't that Great, as for Clapton it's already been said

# 2
Tinpan
Full Access
Tinpan
Full Access
09/16/2020 10:36 pm

Wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fszhF3hu2Tc

# 3
1jumbomojo
1jumbomojo
09/23/2020 12:44 pm

Angus Young is over-rated. He was never considered among the greatest until recently.

Jeff Beck is considred great, and may still be under-rated. One reason: If you think about it, virtually every one of his many instrumentals is basically a solo, start to finish. How many guitarists could pull that off AND still wind up with pieces people would want to listen to.

Michael Gurley (formerly of Dada, now guitarist in The Kiefer Sutherland Band and in his own band) is incredibly under-rated. The band itself deserved much more attention than it received, but listen to his guitarwork on some of their albums, e.g., American Highway Flower. (I'm only familiar with his work in Dada, and saw them live multiple times.)

The guy writes guitar parts that were distinctly original, included solos that involved whatever effects, technique, etc., were needed to fit Dada's songs perfectly, and his guitarwork was always musical (in my book meaning that they were entertaining and sounded good: They left you wanting to hear more.) Check him out.

Dada was an incredibly talented trio: Guitar and vocals (Gurley)r, bass and vocals (Joie Callo and drums and vocals(Phil Leavitt). They are so talented that Callo and Leavitt started their own act (the 7Horse Band), and write and play great rock songs... as a duo! Check them out, too.

Guitarsr

# 4
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
09/24/2020 1:44 am

Glad to see someone else likes Dada. American Highway Flower is one of my favorite albums.

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 5
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
10/01/2020 9:16 pm

Beverly "Guitar" Watkins. Underrated and unknown. Phenomenal blues guitarist

https://youtu.be/QgfAvOR6tAQ

2021 Iris CH

2021 G&L ASAT Classic Tribute

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.