Playing by ear?

kjpro
kjpro
02/11/2010 4:52 am
Hi all,
Been playing for a while and i practice alot, but just can't seem to grasp how to play by ear. It really fustrates me sometimes, i mean here on gt all i do is learn new guitar trick and thats excellent. However just wish i could take up my guitar and play any song i hear.
My 10 years old son can with his keyboard and it just makes me wonder if am really ever going to learn how.
Is there something am missing out on, is there any method, tool or lesson that teaches how to play by ear?
What is the trick? After 3 years i really need to know. help, help, help please
Thanks
Ken.
# 1
chainsaw936
chainsaw936
02/11/2010 1:24 pm
Ken-

Developing the ear is an art that will take time...more for some people than others. There are several programs designed to train Aural Skills and I currently use Ear Master. You can download a trial and I just purchased the license version because I see improvements since using it. Give yourself at least a month of using it 3 times a week for twenty minutes and I bet you see some changes. Good luck
# 2
drf46
Guitar Tricks Instructor
drf46
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/11/2010 1:49 pm
Hi Ken,
Like every other skill; the time it takes to develop ones' "ear" is relative. Maybe I'm a slow learner but it's taken me decades while others seem to train their ear much sooner. The ear training programs available today may accelerate the process. Eventually you will develop your ear. Hang in there Ken.
sincerely,
Doug
# 3
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
02/11/2010 2:59 pm
Hmm, was Lisa's Ear Training app still available? That would be a good start.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 4
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/11/2010 11:05 pm
I would direct a message to Lisa and see about that. I know they were giving it away over the holidays, but am not sure if that is still the case.

Honestly, any ear training program will really, really help. It is about developing your ear to recognize pitch relatively and than matching it up against your instrument. I can remember sitting in my room for days on end learning Metallica songs, veering away from tab books and forcing myself to figure it out on my own. A great way to practice just developing the relationship between your ear and the your instrument is to sing what you play. I used to (and still do) this all the time, and this really helps develop your ear.

A wise man once told me "anything you can hum, you can play." This meaning if you can recognize the pitch (as in singing it back correctly), you can than try and find where that pitch is on the your instrument. We all share the same notes, so have fun and work to better your skills at singing the notes on your guitar and I guarantee you will see results.
:cool:
Douglas Showalter
# 5
JeffS65
JeffS65
02/13/2010 1:31 am
Originally Posted by: Douglas ShowalterA wise man once told me "anything you can hum, you can play." This meaning if you can recognize the pitch (as in singing it back correctly), you can than try and find where that pitch is on the your instrument. We all share the same notes, so have fun and work to better your skills at singing the notes on your guitar and I guarantee you will see results.
:cool:

To add to Doug's hum method: What helped me without realizing it right away was that for no reason I can ever recall, after I would tune my guitar, I would strike each open string note and kind of sing the note name (ie - E, A,D, G, B and E). I don't know why I ever started that but I still pretty much do it. I think it help drive the note in to my head.

There isn't really magic to knowing how to use the ear, it's a matter of finding how your brain literally makes a connection of the sound, to the note name to the place that note is made on the guitar.

Once I realized I did this and it actually did something for me, I picked a couple of key/frequent notes to do this with (example - 6th string open G or a 5th string barred E at the 7th fret etc).

I had a pretty good ear for what sounded right and wrong but honestly, there were guys way better than me to pick apart a cover song. I never felt overly skilled at it.

The only other thing I can think of that made it a challenge for me to learn by ear is that I think I would often pre-decide how something was played. Instead of sitting down and letting my ear be the driver, my analytical head always wanted to figure out the pattern first. Moral: Don't overthink it. I would guess that's why your ten year old doesn't struggle with it.
# 6
kjpro
kjpro
02/14/2010 6:40 am
I'm definitely going to give it a try, actually i think that am already into the habit of picking every note after tuning. Don't think i call them out loud thought, just pretty much say them to myself.
# 7
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/14/2010 10:40 pm
I agree. I have all of my students sing the notes out loud of the open strings. While some are more than willing than others to comply (LOL!), it really helps develop a great relationship between the ears and the instrument. Sing everything you play! Literally! You don't have to be a great singer by any stretch, however; this will undoubtedly help you develop the relationship much better.

And also; don't over think it (as mentioned before.) Simply sing with your instrument and be patient, as the progress will happen. If you try and force it your analytical sense will get in the way. Like I said, we all share the same notes my friend.
:D
Douglas Showalter
# 8
compart1
compart1
02/15/2010 3:24 am
Hi Doug..
The lyrics can't be any simpler.. Reminds me of Grade school when we had to do "Do Re Me Fa So LA Ti Do"
# 9
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/15/2010 3:26 am
Originally Posted by: compart1Hi Doug..
The lyrics can't be any simpler.. Reminds me of Grade school when we had to do "Do Re Me Fa So LA Ti Do"

I don't understand. What do you mean by this?
Douglas Showalter
# 10
chrisweyers
chrisweyers
02/15/2010 5:55 pm
Hi Ken, great suggestions here so far. But here's another idea:

Hook up your iPod or whatever you got to some speakers, plug in your amp, and start learning some easy songs! Bands like AC/DC, Green Day, and The Offspring are good starters.

I did this when I decided to start learning by ear, it only took me a week to get through most of the songs on Back in Black
# 11
kjpro
kjpro
02/16/2010 1:58 am
Originally Posted by: chrisweyersHi Ken, great suggestions here so far. But here's another idea:

Hook up your iPod or whatever you got to some speakers, plug in your amp, and start learning some easy songs! Bands like AC/DC, Green Day, and The Offspring are good starters.

I did this when I decided to start learning by ear, it only took me a week to get through most of the songs on Back in Black

This sounds like fun, wow. Gonna get started like now, will let you all know how progress goes. Did I mention that i love gt? you guys are great.
Any news on the ear trainer app by Lisa?
# 12
recordist
recordist
02/16/2010 8:10 pm
wow...I can't even imagine how frustrating that must be...I've always been a by ear kind of musician...but music is just 2nd nature to me...it's like part of my genetic make up...
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.