View post (Playing by ear?)

View thread

Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/11/2010 11:05 pm
I would direct a message to Lisa and see about that. I know they were giving it away over the holidays, but am not sure if that is still the case.

Honestly, any ear training program will really, really help. It is about developing your ear to recognize pitch relatively and than matching it up against your instrument. I can remember sitting in my room for days on end learning Metallica songs, veering away from tab books and forcing myself to figure it out on my own. A great way to practice just developing the relationship between your ear and the your instrument is to sing what you play. I used to (and still do) this all the time, and this really helps develop your ear.

A wise man once told me "anything you can hum, you can play." This meaning if you can recognize the pitch (as in singing it back correctly), you can than try and find where that pitch is on the your instrument. We all share the same notes, so have fun and work to better your skills at singing the notes on your guitar and I guarantee you will see results.
:cool:
Douglas Showalter