Slipping pick!

happyjuicegirl
happyjuicegirl
01/15/2010 2:19 pm
This is going to sound daft I know, but when I use a pick, it seems to slip in my fingers and ends up turning itself round so its in the wrong position! Do I just grip harder and risk that harsh tone, or do I get the sandpaper out on them? I'm using 1mm Jim Dunlop picks. Any ideas? :)
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
01/15/2010 3:24 pm
I've heard of a few resolutions for this. One is to use a pick that already has a "treaded" grip. Jim Dunlop used to make them, but I'm not sure now.

I have heard of people actually gluing some sand paper on it, or applying something else to help the grip (like glue which you run some grooves into as it's drying). I've even heard of using "wall tack" (that gummy rubber stuff to hang posters up on your wall).

I used to have the same issues, and swore by the treaded Jim Dunlops at the time. After a while, though, you should get used to managing that without any aid. It'll just be one more thing your fingers should start getting a feel for when you play.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/15/2010 6:04 pm
This is another one of those strange things that I think differs from player to player. I have a fairly loose grip on the pick. So much so that I am often very, very surprised I do not drop it more often. However, I do loose it at a gig from time to time due to a mixture of a loose grip and more over, my palms get fairly sweaty.

I try to think of it like holding onto a writing utensil. You want to have a grip but not so tight that you develop more unnecessary tension in your picking hand. There are different kinds of picks out there that will help with this sort of thing, but I don't know if I would apply sandpaper or anything like that. However, I do see this kind of thing as a case by case basis and I would just search for whatever works best for you. Just don't grip crazy hard, as you want as little tension as possible. I use Dunlop Tortex H3 picks that have a nice grip that doesn't slip from my hands. However, even as a professional this happens from time to time. Fear not, this happens to all of us.

Best of luck! :D
Douglas Showalter
# 3
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
01/15/2010 6:37 pm
Originally Posted by: Douglas Showalter...but I don't know if I would apply sandpaper or anything like that.

At least not beyond the grip part. Although that would be good business for string makers I suppose. :)

Actually I misreferenced, too. The advice was to roughen up the pick with sandpaper, not stick some on it.

http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27364
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 4
happyjuicegirl
happyjuicegirl
01/15/2010 6:50 pm
Thank you, at least its not just me!!! :)
# 5
Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
01/16/2010 1:31 am
I also have issues at time with gripping my pick. I have MS and when I am having difficulty my right hand/arm suffers....so after I was getting tired of dropping and losing my pick I took that gummy stuff called "ticky tack" or "fun tack". Its like clay/gum kind of but never dries out....anyway...I put a little of that on a pick on both sides and it helps out amazingly. My fingers mold right into the stuff and I have a nice custom fit that isnt going anywhere...and its tacky too so even if I open my fingers. Helps me when I need it....Its also great for putting on the end of a pencil and sticking in the sound hold of an acoustic to retrieve picks!
# 6
jcotter13
jcotter13
01/16/2010 2:16 pm
Try some Dunlop Tortex or Gator Grip picks. They're texturoughly so you can keep a good grip on them.
# 7
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
01/16/2010 11:01 pm
Hey happyjuicegirl,
Like Douglas said it happens to all of us from time to time. I have used the gator grips, even made x's, and lines with the old pocket knife to rough them up some.

The gator grips were alright, but I went through at least 3 a night. Seemed like the tip would wear down, and I would have to grab another one.

Try a temporary fix now, something with grips, or rough up what you're picking with a little. Eventually you'll get used to it, and you won't need to do this. You may still lose your pick sometimes, but it won't happen as often.

Have a great weekend, and let us know if we can do anything else to help you.
# 8
GuitardedGeezer
GuitardedGeezer
01/16/2010 11:12 pm
I use Snarling Dog's Brain Picks (I know, weird name) from Musician's Friend. comes 12 to a pack, and the pack is a nice little tin that is really convenient. I think they are available in 5 or 6 thicknesses and they don't cost much. All of them have raised bumps for a good grip. Good stuff.

GG
# 9
JeffS65
JeffS65
01/17/2010 12:08 am
Originally Posted by: happyjuicegirlThis is going to sound daft I know, but when I use a pick, it seems to slip in my fingers and ends up turning itself round so its in the wrong position! Do I just grip harder and risk that harsh tone, or do I get the sandpaper out on them? I'm using 1mm Jim Dunlop picks. Any ideas? :)

I think advice to give would also depend on what kind of stuff you play. I think the kind of pick and grip 'style' would depend on what you play. When I strum acoustically, I use a different pick that when I'm playing more metal-like.

However (watch for corniness coming :eek: )...In the words of a certain .38 Special some decades ago...'Hold on loosely but don't let go. If you cling to tightly, you're gonna lose control'...

Ok, I know it's was doofy but I think it applies. Grip too tightly under any circumstances and all you're doing is increasing the reactive nature of striking two things together. In that old science deal of 'action creates and equal and opposite reaction', if your grip is such that when you strike the string that both the string and the pick end at a point where neither is willing to give, it is your grip that will lose since it is the weak link in the chain.

If you grip with a little give (like Doug said), your pick is going to not want to push back at you like it does now but will want to follow the path that you are strumming (ie upwards or downwards).
# 10
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
01/17/2010 11:27 am
There have been some good points made here, and I also use different picks sometimes. When I pick an acoustic I use a Dunlop Tortex .88mm, When I play electric it's a Clayton USA .63mm. The reason for this is, I'm a hard player. Really rough on strings, and guitars. I'm a little easier on it now, learning the hybrid picking along with everything else gave me more control. Sometimes I'll practice with a heavier pick too, it's a 2mm as thick as a nickel. I only practice leads with that though, if I strum it would rip the strings off.

I used to play bluegrass shows with a 1mm for the longest time, broke on average 6-8 strings per 90 minute show. I had to lighten up my pick, and I had to lighten the stroke. Now I can vary the stroke, and add heavier strokes to drive a song. I had to do the same thing on electric, for me the lighter my stroke is the more speed I have. The other thing with an electric is how light the touch is with that fret board hand too. I want to lighten my touch even more in that area, no problem if I'm practicing something. When I'm on stage, it's a totally different story. On some songs I have a light touch, on others the stage presence takes over. When this happens I play heavier at times, depending on what I'm playing. If I'm chicken picking I tighten the grip some, if I'm flat picking the grip will be looser, playing rock rhythm I would loosen the grip.

What you said at first was correct, you said it depends on what stuff you play. I think I read in a previous post that she was into the metal, so I'm thinking that a lighter stroke may be what she needs. With a really heavy pick like a 1mm, coming down to hard can knock a pick loose. The other option may be to use a lighter pick. These players that use a thick pick, not only know how to play, they've been playing long enough to develop technique and control. I bet if you asked them, most learned with a lighter pick than what they use now. It's really up to them, but if I have a beginner using a thick pick, I let them know what can happen. To coin another old phrase "somethings gotta give" and it could be the string, or the pick depending on their stroke. I also explain that a thinner pick will be easier to use until they develop technique. They give a little more, so even if you are a heavy player you're not ripping the strings off.

If I were happyjuicegirl, I would work my way up to the 1mm. Being fairly new to guitar, a thinner pick might be the answer for right now. I've been winding down from the gig, and it's time to sign off now.
# 11
pennyanmurph
pennyanmurph
01/17/2010 5:16 pm
You might want to try Gorilla Snot. I have heard it works pretty well, though I've never tried it myself.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gorilla-Snot-Gorilla-Snot?sku=428010
# 12
happyjuicegirl
happyjuicegirl
01/21/2010 9:55 am
Wow! So much advice! Thank you all so much! It does seem to be a common issue, I think time may just resolve it for me, but I might try a thinner pick too just to feel the difference. For the record, I play acoustic guitar, not electric, if that makes any difference. :)

I wonder who thought of the name Gorilla Snot......!!!
# 13
Kwote
Kwote
01/26/2010 3:53 am
Try V-Picks! They're awesome and don't hardly slip at all.

http://www.v-picks.com/
# 14
a-jguitar
a-jguitar
01/27/2010 10:02 am
Hi there!

I´ve had the same problem for years but solved it about six months ago simply by drilling a large (8-10 mm) hole in middle of the area where the fingers meet the pick.

This works for me ´cause the edges of the hole kind of grabs the skin of the fingers. As a result the pick stays in a comfortable position without excessive finger pressure trying to squeeze to hard on the pick.

BTW I don´t even bother to smooth the the edges of the drilled hole – it works even better that way.

Happy strummings,

A-J
# 15
happyjuicegirl
happyjuicegirl
01/27/2010 4:14 pm
I'm handy with power tools....this could be fun.;)

Thanks for all the tips.:)
# 16
Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
01/28/2010 7:14 pm
I put holes in my picks too, but it was originally so I can keep a few on my key chain and be assured I'll always have a pick on me. It was after that I realized the comfort factor too!
# 17
des14
des14
01/29/2010 10:10 pm
i have these star picks that has a hole in the center which gives it better grip or get picks like tortus even though they are my practice picks they are very good
# 18
PickNease
PickNease
03/09/2010 1:43 am
Hi, happyjuicegirl

I can't agree more with GuitardedGeezer, when it comes to using Brain's, Snarling Dog picks. (from Musicians Friend) I have been having the same problem for years. I have tried all kinds of picks and tricks and nothing worked until I started using these picks. They are amazing. I can hold them as lightly as I want and they just do not slip.

PickNease
# 19
guitarjock
Full Access
guitarjock
Full Access
03/19/2010 2:03 am
Try a bunch of different picks, see what works for you. I finally ended up using these PickBoy picks with a sandpaper type grip on them.

I also remember seeing a lesson suggesting you practice all upstrokes on just one note or an open string. The theory being that most players upstrokes are weaker and not as in control as their downpicking.

Just keep at it. Good right hand technique takes a lot of practice.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.