Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

shatterd
shatterd
01/10/2010 7:19 pm
I've owned several modeling amps including the Line 6 Spider III, Line 6/Bogner Spider Valve, Roland Cube 60...and now this Peavey Vypyr Tube 60.

I have found this Vypyr to be my favorite of all the modeling amps I've tried.

It sounds great both clean and dirty, and is loaded with accurate amp models and good sounding effects. There's also plenty of gain for the heaviest of metal.

This amp will cover any type of music from country to jazz to blues to rock to prog metal to 80's metal to death metal etc etc. ....and it will do each of them very well.

Here are the amps modeled with this amp....Diezel, Krankenstein, Mesa Rectifier, Peavey 6505, Peavey JSX, Peavey XXX, Peavey Classic, B-Kat(BadCat), British Vox AC 30, Marshall Plexi, Twin Reverb, Vintage Tweed/Hot Rod Deluxe. All amps are modeled with a clean and dirty channel. I have found these models to sound very close to the amps they model. My favorites are the Rectifier and JSX models...probably because I prefer hard rock and metal.

You'll also find lots of effects and stomp boxes on board. These sound really good and are very usable. The stompboxes have a nice analog character to them as opposed to a digital quality you find in other modeling amps. Included is a Tube Screamer, Zakk Wild XR, Phaser, chorus, flange, fuzz, auto wah, octaver, tremolo and many more!! Also onboard you will find delay and reverb effects.

You can set up your own tones using the amp models, stompboxes, and effects...and then save them in one of the preset banks. You might also consider getting the Sanpera II foot pedal(sold separately) so you can control the amp from the floor. The footpedal allows you to access your custom presets and control all the effects. This would be great for any live gig.

The Vypyr Tibe 60 has a 6L6 tube section that includes a 12AX7 tube. You get a really nice tube vibe from this amp. These tubes are not just for show, they really effect the tone of the amp.

This amp is a 60 watt combo and has a single 12 inch speaker. It's very loud and should be fine for playing live gigs in small to medium venues.

The amp as a USB record out jack on the front panel. You can use a USB cable and plug the amp directly into your computer and record direct without an interface. There's also a headphone out jack and a aux. input for MP3 players.

I give this amp 5 stars out of 5. I've owned it for about 2 months and would not want to trade it or sell it for another amp at this time. I'm really happy with my purchase. I paid around 450 dollars for this amp.

The Vypyr is available in solid state models in the 15, 30, 75, and 100 watt range. The Tube models are available in 60 watt 1x12, 120 watt 2x12 combos, and also in a 120 watt head. Prices vary with wattages.

I have never played one of the solid state versions but I have read many favorable reviews on them and also have heard some impressive sound clips on youtube. If you can't afford the Tube Vypyr don't be afraid of trying the Solid State version in the 15, 30 or 75 watt range. These are pretty affordable and offer a lot of bang for the buck.

Here are a few clips for you to check out the Tube Vypyr 60 watt...same one I have.

Here's a demo of the JSX amp model. The amp is mic'd in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2uyQ0yhL58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a2HtWDG0vw&feature=related

Here's a nice video that covers the compatible Sanpera footpedals that control the amp from the floor(sold separately)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BW2LDc2r_Y&feature=related

This amp would be great for playing live, band rehearsals, garage jams, and bedroom practice. It does sound pretty good at lower volumes.
# 1
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
01/10/2010 10:39 pm
Does it have any kind of computer user interface for adjusting models, tones and what not?

I was HIGHLY considering one of the Vipers for a while, but I decided to fix my old vintage amp instead. I must admit, my wife helped me in that decision. Or... MADE the decision for me.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 2
shatterd
shatterd
01/11/2010 10:08 pm
To answer your question....no I dont think so. It's a pretty straight forward amp. Peavey uses the term.....WYSIWYG...or what you see is what you get. But the amp is very tweakable and you can dial up so many tones. It is a great sounding amp and pretty simple to operate.
# 3
rfwright78
Full Access
rfwright78
Full Access
07/28/2011 9:16 pm
How does the Spider IV 75 compare with a Peavey VYPYR? I currently have a Spider III 30 watt w/FBV MKII express pedal. It just has the factory presets for the four channels that I can tweak to my specifications (through various eq, fx, drive etc.). I don't particulary care for the sounds, especially the insane, and it is somewhat difficult to get a clean country sound. My local store has them both, but I had never seen a vypyr until earlier this week. I have seen mixed reviews for the vypyr's reliability, but I am interested in the 60w vypyr. How easy is it to dial in tones, presets with the 75 spider? Also, it appears that I will need to get a shortboard to "unlock" many of the spiders features....at least ones I would want to use. This is also true for the vypyr....in order to open up the 400 banks, you must get a sanpera II pedal, otherwise your stuck with 12 presets (which is probably more than enough). Thanks for your responses!
updated questions: Have you had reliability issues with the vypyr? Do you think it is better, worse, or about the same as spider IV? Finally, is it worth the extra money for the tube vypyr, or is the ss close to the same?
# 4
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
07/28/2011 9:56 pm
Funny this post re-appears. I've been in amp hunting mode. Still thinking about one of these.... Still don't NEED one though. Just having a case of the "I WANT"
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 5
rfwright78
Full Access
rfwright78
Full Access
07/30/2011 8:25 am
I picked up a vypyr 60w today, and so far, I am really satisfied. It is 3:11AM as I type this....just got done fiddlin' around with it. I am very happy. I spent a few hours comparing it with the 75w vypyr in the store, but the tone is much better on the 60w. It seems to have more depth...if that makes sense. I also compared it with the line 6 spider IV 75w which is what I was going to purchase until I found the 60w vypyr earlier this week. I was not overly pleased with the tone of my spider III 30w, but I figured I'd give it a try b/c everyone raves about the improvements and all of the tones available on the IV series. I am sure that there are alot of things that you can do with the amp, however, I found the lcd navigation menu to be cumbersome. I am sure that I could figure it out with time, but all of the options seemed like overkill to me. Furthermore, alot of the presets were not great and I believe that I could dial in better tones much more efficiently on the vypyr that I purchased. I also like that ease of working with several knobs on the front of the amp, rather than cycling through the lcd. I have heard that it is easier if you use the computer to modify your tones, but who wants to set at a computer while playing guitar....(unless of course they are using GTs). I would also like to point out that I contacted Peavey at a phone number on their website and within moments after one really quick automated phone message, I was on the phone with a real person. He answered all of my questions regarding the vypyr and was quite courteous. They also have a large forum on which many of their employees are active and comunicate with customers unlike what I found on line 6 which seems to be mostly other customers. I was also presently surprised to find out that the vypr comes with a 2 year warranty that is upgraded to 5 years when you register the equipment on the Peavey site (within 90 days of purchase). This is a huge deal.....line 6's gear is only warranted for 1 year. If you can influence your wife to let you make the purchase, I would recommend it. I was fortunate enough to pick mine up at a steal for $299.99 new from my local music store.
I will continue to post more updates regarding the amp...good and bad! I am also going to get the sanpera II pedal to open up other possibilities with the amp.
# 6
hunter1801
hunter1801
07/30/2011 6:51 pm
Originally Posted by: rfwright78I picked up a vypyr 60w today, and so far, I am really satisfied. It is 3:11AM as I type this....just got done fiddlin' around with it. I am very happy. I spent a few hours comparing it with the 75w vypyr in the store, but the tone is much better on the 60w. It seems to have more depth...if that makes sense. I also compared it with the line 6 spider IV 75w which is what I was going to purchase until I found the 60w vypyr earlier this week. I was not overly pleased with the tone of my spider III 30w, but I figured I'd give it a try b/c everyone raves about the improvements and all of the tones available on the IV series. I am sure that there are alot of things that you can do with the amp, however, I found the lcd navigation menu to be cumbersome. I am sure that I could figure it out with time, but all of the options seemed like overkill to me. Furthermore, alot of the presets were not great and I believe that I could dial in better tones much more efficiently on the vypyr that I purchased. I also like that ease of working with several knobs on the front of the amp, rather than cycling through the lcd. I have heard that it is easier if you use the computer to modify your tones, but who wants to set at a computer while playing guitar....(unless of course they are using GTs). I would also like to point out that I contacted Peavey at a phone number on their website and within moments after one really quick automated phone message, I was on the phone with a real person. He answered all of my questions regarding the vypyr and was quite courteous. They also have a large forum on which many of their employees are active and comunicate with customers unlike what I found on line 6 which seems to be mostly other customers. I was also presently surprised to find out that the vypr comes with a 2 year warranty that is upgraded to 5 years when you register the equipment on the Peavey site (within 90 days of purchase). This is a huge deal.....line 6's gear is only warranted for 1 year. If you can influence your wife to let you make the purchase, I would recommend it. I was fortunate enough to pick mine up at a steal for $299.99 new from my local music store.
I will continue to post more updates regarding the amp...good and bad! I am also going to get the sanpera II pedal to open up other possibilities with the amp.

:eek: There is a severe shortage of paragraphs in here
# 7
rumbled
rumbled
09/25/2013 7:37 pm
I've just aquired Vypyr 30, so am in the experimental stage. I'm very impressed!
Samick Greg Bennett Royale, Epiphone SG, Tanglewood LP HV58 and Strat copy, Hondo II Professional, Hofner Shorty.
Peavey Vypyr 30 Modeling amp.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.