View post (Peavey Vypyr Tube 60)

View thread

rfwright78
Full Access
rfwright78
Full Access
07/28/2011 9:16 pm
How does the Spider IV 75 compare with a Peavey VYPYR? I currently have a Spider III 30 watt w/FBV MKII express pedal. It just has the factory presets for the four channels that I can tweak to my specifications (through various eq, fx, drive etc.). I don't particulary care for the sounds, especially the insane, and it is somewhat difficult to get a clean country sound. My local store has them both, but I had never seen a vypyr until earlier this week. I have seen mixed reviews for the vypyr's reliability, but I am interested in the 60w vypyr. How easy is it to dial in tones, presets with the 75 spider? Also, it appears that I will need to get a shortboard to "unlock" many of the spiders features....at least ones I would want to use. This is also true for the vypyr....in order to open up the 400 banks, you must get a sanpera II pedal, otherwise your stuck with 12 presets (which is probably more than enough). Thanks for your responses!
updated questions: Have you had reliability issues with the vypyr? Do you think it is better, worse, or about the same as spider IV? Finally, is it worth the extra money for the tube vypyr, or is the ss close to the same?