View post (Peavey Vypyr Tube 60)

View thread

hunter1801
hunter1801
07/30/2011 6:51 pm
Originally Posted by: rfwright78I picked up a vypyr 60w today, and so far, I am really satisfied. It is 3:11AM as I type this....just got done fiddlin' around with it. I am very happy. I spent a few hours comparing it with the 75w vypyr in the store, but the tone is much better on the 60w. It seems to have more depth...if that makes sense. I also compared it with the line 6 spider IV 75w which is what I was going to purchase until I found the 60w vypyr earlier this week. I was not overly pleased with the tone of my spider III 30w, but I figured I'd give it a try b/c everyone raves about the improvements and all of the tones available on the IV series. I am sure that there are alot of things that you can do with the amp, however, I found the lcd navigation menu to be cumbersome. I am sure that I could figure it out with time, but all of the options seemed like overkill to me. Furthermore, alot of the presets were not great and I believe that I could dial in better tones much more efficiently on the vypyr that I purchased. I also like that ease of working with several knobs on the front of the amp, rather than cycling through the lcd. I have heard that it is easier if you use the computer to modify your tones, but who wants to set at a computer while playing guitar....(unless of course they are using GTs). I would also like to point out that I contacted Peavey at a phone number on their website and within moments after one really quick automated phone message, I was on the phone with a real person. He answered all of my questions regarding the vypyr and was quite courteous. They also have a large forum on which many of their employees are active and comunicate with customers unlike what I found on line 6 which seems to be mostly other customers. I was also presently surprised to find out that the vypr comes with a 2 year warranty that is upgraded to 5 years when you register the equipment on the Peavey site (within 90 days of purchase). This is a huge deal.....line 6's gear is only warranted for 1 year. If you can influence your wife to let you make the purchase, I would recommend it. I was fortunate enough to pick mine up at a steal for $299.99 new from my local music store.
I will continue to post more updates regarding the amp...good and bad! I am also going to get the sanpera II pedal to open up other possibilities with the amp.

:eek: There is a severe shortage of paragraphs in here