king of the blues

BrokenJera
BrokenJera
12/28/2009 6:06 am
i have been considering entering the guitar center king of the blues contest this year. ive been playing for a long while and know my way around but i dont really think i hav much chance of getting past the first round (just being realistic some of those guys are really awsome).

now my problem is i have no where where my focus should be right now. i have been working n a lot of beatles stuff lately, something, dear prudence, blackbird, happiness is a warm gun, to name a few. im not much of a beatles fan but i do love their creativity in writing.

so now for the questions
should i be working on my writing, my style or my technique? i do have a good idea of basic blues and even some advanced stuff, so should i be focused on getting better at my basics or learning how to add more flare to my style? what should i be writing? i generally write a few new chord progressions and maybe a few verses/chorus a week but nothing i really feel to great about (just basic stuff to help get my keys down), i dont sing (i have been asked not to anymore) does that even matter?

i have a million more questions but lets start there. im not even sure its on the right board (maybe song writing).

thanks
They say the END is near, but I'm Tired of waiting.
# 1
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/31/2009 12:30 am
Questios;

What aspect of music brings you the most fulfillment? What is it that you find yourself doing the most of and that makes you want to pick up the instrument?

Let's start there..... :p
Douglas Showalter
# 2
BrokenJera
BrokenJera
12/31/2009 5:55 am
when i first started playing i was really into things like metallica nirvana megadeth iron maiden things like that. but as ive grown as a player ive really got into the blues and classic rock. i get way more out a slow pink floyd solo or a nice bb knig riff than i do out of the speed style. ive really also started respecting groups like the beatles and alot of the jazz stuff ive been listening to (my teacher is really into jazz).

i guess my biggest concern isnt over what to play its just that i dont have any chops as a performer. ive played for small groups and even with a few different setups (entire bands to just drummers and bassist) but never really onstage or gig style. i think every guitar player i know has sat on at least one corner playing songs for spare change (i used to do it for money to buy new strings).

another problem i have is my lesson focus is really heavy on theory and less on application. i know how to play and i know im a pretty good guitar player but my brain gets in the way of where do i go from here.

ive got some time to think about it so no real rush right now.
They say the END is near, but I'm Tired of waiting.
# 3
compart1
compart1
12/31/2009 11:58 am
from a rank novice...
A few of my ideas come from a couple cliches:
"Less Is More"
"Let your fingers do the Walking"
and what I call in my mind is - un-focus to focus..

OH yeah, don't write yourself off before you get there..
Think positive..
Hope you do great..
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.