Scotish bands... some of the most sincier and sweet bands i've heard...

educatedfilm
educatedfilm
01/16/2002 11:41 pm
When I say this I'm reffering to bands like Ballboy, The vaselines and Idlewild... They're very intresting.... They seem to have that "special" feeling.. it's hard to explain... they all sound a little sad, and down... but it's not in an american colledge kid, who's just bored and depressed and doesn't really know why ( Sum 41 ahem)... some thing more serious, but you feel sympathetic with them rather than get you down...
I dont really know the what the point I'm trying to make is... but there is something you get from certain folk bands, and these scottish bands and that really steps outside of riffs and studio production... Someone somewhere must have a clue as to what I'm talking about...
All this kinda came into my head when I heard Nickel back on the radio, and they said it had been in the charts in the Us (oh yeah that's another thread I wanna talk about) for like weeks... and although it had the catchy course and all the rest... It didn't feel sincier... it didn't feel real... I mean it's similar that thing taht bon jovi's sound suffer's from...
If you dont know what I mean... then download anything like "captain" by idle wild (for their more agressive and angst filled era, and compare it to any famous angst guitar band), or "when I argue I see shapes" for their more melodic period... or "Jesus dont want me for a sun beam" by the vaselines (this version, I feel, is better than the nirvana version)...
All these records have some slight "imprefections", not things wrong as such... but things which give character... Like slightly off key, but emotional vocals...

Sorry about this long post... It's late and I'm talking jibberish...
# 1
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
01/17/2002 12:31 am

Educatedfilm is back!!! You disappeared for a while there man.
# 2
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/17/2002 12:45 am
Originally posted by educatedfilm
( Sum 41 ahem)...

::SMACK!::

They're Canadian, DILLWEED!

Ok, Beavis and Butthead impersonation out of the way...

Yeah, there's a big reason I don't listen to much radio, and that reason is that most of what the radio plays annoys the hell out of me.

Generally speaking, I have a nice collection of CDs that follow me around and over 1,100 mp3s on my computer that live on random play for when I'm home.

I suggest the following American bands: [u]The Refreshments[/u] (look for Nada, Banditos, Mekong, European Swallow, or Down Together), [u]Clutch[/u] (The Elephant Riders, Animal Farm, Texan Book of the Dead, Drink to the Dead (the demo version if possible), Big Fat Pig, Raised by Horses, Ship of Gold, The Dragonfly, Basket of Eggs, Rock and Roll Outlaw, Wishbone, or hmmm.... how's about A Shogun Named Markus), [u]Scissorfight[/u] (Balls Deep, or The Gibbetted Captain Kidd (if you can't get into their New Hampshire woodchuck (northern redneck) shtick, you'll never "get" these guys), [u]Rolling Buck 7[/u] (Love Dumpster, Box Car Jackson, The Hemsley Suffle), and if you're especially lucky (and these guys will be hard to find): [u]Bruce[/u] (The Pofis Shuffle or Prepare Me).
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
Peter Barlow
Peter Barlow
01/17/2002 3:51 pm
I don't know if you guys get any of this stuff out in the states, but Scotland does have some great bands. Try getting hold of some stuff by a band called mogwai. They are post rock band that produce instrumental "noise". I know that is a pretty stupid description, but it is deffinitely worth getting hold of some stuff. (Mogwai fear satan and Like Herod) are great tunes.
Go to:
http://www.abandcalledmogwai.co.uk

# 4
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
01/18/2002 11:45 am
yeah mogwia are wonderful... they're one of the few bands left who still do 25 minute long songs (check their session for Steve lamaque).. "Come and die young" was a cool album... but they've changed... they've become grown up and become cultured like on tracks like "stanley kubrick", which is pretty good... but not like the old days...
I was trying to remeber american bands with that "special" sound... Straight away... I remembered REM's two albums "murmer" and "up"... but the band have distanced them selves from both, which is weird (considering it's their best stuff)... but really I'm struggling... cos It's hard enough to find out about the type of bands I'm talking about, when they're from the country your in, let alone from abroad..

DOH! looks like I was quick to asume wrongly about SUM41.. Ok, I'm a dumb ass...

Christoph: yep:D... I had major exams... And I've finsihed today! normally i'd be happy... but It's not very sunny, and I've got a nine month long "holiday", which is actaully pretty daughnting...

Just remembered... some of Grandady's stuff like "he's simple, he's dumb, he's the pilot" is one of those tracks.

[Edited by educatedfilm on 01-18-2002 at 06:54 AM]
# 5
Peter Barlow
Peter Barlow
01/23/2002 9:59 am
Yeah mogwai did kind of change. There last album Rock Action did get a bit of a bad review because it wasn't mogwai enough. But it's definately worth checking out there latest EP My Father My King it's a return to the good old days.
Educated Film are you a Brit then, listening to The Evening Session?
# 6
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
01/23/2002 10:37 pm
yep... but we're a minority here...
# 7

01/24/2002 4:47 pm
I know what you mean educ. A band I also really like is the Cranberries (they're from Ireland). It's got that melancholy, bittersweet kind of appeal to it as is typical amongst music from Ireland and Scotland (I guess because it has its roots in celtic music).
# 8
Stuart Braithwaite
Stuart Braithwaite
01/25/2002 2:26 pm
Hmmmm yes I agree.
# 9
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
01/28/2002 6:02 pm
yeah... the cranberies area ace... I've got zombie and some other tracks, but I've not managed to get much more.. they had an album out year before last didn't they?... god I feel soo old...
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.