Can you suggest songs in A minor?

TubularBlur
TubularBlur
08/13/2009 9:51 am
Hi everyone,

I've been jamming with some friends recently and were all recent starters on the electric guitar. We've decided to focus our sessions on to playing a song together. To make things easier we'd like to play something in A minor.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a decent rock song that we can play? A song with something interesting for rhythm and lead guitar would be ideal. Old or new, we're quite open minded.

Many thanks and much appreciated.
# 1
Ben Lindholm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Ben Lindholm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/13/2009 2:39 pm
Oh there are so many! Depends a little on how skilled you are but here are a few:

House of the rising sun (The Animals) - fairly simple repeating chord progression that you can use to practice soloing

Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin) - a way more complicated song of course - but the chords in the solo are a lot of fun to jam over - Am - G - F - F

Tribute (Tenacious D) - another great jam song that kind of started off as a Stairway to Heaven ripoff (try to find the earlier versions of the song and you'll see)

Oye Como Va (Santana) - This song is not in A natural minor, but A dorian minor - just replace the F (b6) in the natural minor scale with F# (6) to get A dorian.

Save Tonight (Eagle Eye Cherry)

Hit the road Jack (Ray Charles) - I think the original might be in Ab minor but most people play it in A minor when jamming.

Well, let me know how your jam sessions turn out!
# 2
TubularBlur
TubularBlur
08/15/2009 12:27 pm
Thanks Ben. Wow! Tenacious D?! I'm a big Jack Black fan so I guess it could be worth a try.

We're getting together again on Wednesday so we'll see how it goes.

Cheers.
# 3
Ben Lindholm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Ben Lindholm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/15/2009 10:26 pm
Yeah man, no problem. Tenacious D have a few really good songs so definately worth checking out.

Good luck with the jam on Wednesday!
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.