Anyone Who Is In/Has Been In A gArage Band I Need Your Advice On A Problem....

Erik2005
Erik2005
01/10/2002 5:12 am
Hello all,

I have a little garage band with my brother on drums, me on eletric, and my friend on electric also, and our problem is this: My brothers drums are so loud that my ears feel like they are bleeding! You can barely hear the guitars playing and it hurts my ears so much that its almost not even fun to play. I have a Fender Champ 12 Amp (its a tube amp and has 12 watts), and i am turning it up pretty loud. Im pretty sure there must be a solution of some sort, I dont see how any garage band could have had this same problem and handled the beating to their ears without going deaf after two weeks! I know there must be some to play without feeling like im blowing my ears out. I am aware that there is ear protection, but how do you enjoy the music if you can only hear it muffled (I have tried it)? Anyways my bro plays a Tama Rockstar with Tama heads, im just wondering if were doing something wrong. I got a PA System for Christmas (this one http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=020109210115216063121107778361/search/g=live/detail/base_id/51142) and it has 200 watts. It is soley for voice but we tried it out tonight and I had the master and the volume for the mic a little over half (just to where it wouldnt feedback, cant go any higher without it feed backing everytime I sing into the mic, dont have a whole lot more space to move the speakers back) and its loud wihtout him playing, but once we get going we run into the same problem, you can hear the vocals, but they aren't nearly as "infront" as they need to be, they sound drowned out in the background. How can i fix this its driving me nuts, there is no way someone could take this ear abuse days at a time! =)! So anyone who can give me some advice and tips on what to do about the drums I would deeply appreciate it (I have also told him to play softer, but he says he cant, and I understand that beating on the drums and trying to be quieter would have to be really hard when the music is moving really fast, is he wrong?) Sorry for the long post everyone! Thanks in advance! (Also, is 200 watts enough if were jsut using vocals on it, or should I purchase a more powerful PA, it seems like it should be plenty...)

-Erik
# 1
Psycho Amram
Psycho Amram
01/10/2002 7:01 am
i know what youre talking about i had the same problem
your bro isnt wrong my drummer played softer when i asked but you lose enthusiasm when you see your buddies suffer like this
find a device that reduce the sound to the normal DB into your headphones and turn your amp as high as you want and about the vocals... ya i just scream
God sent meat,
and the Devil sent cooks.

Excuse me while i keep this eye
# 2
John O'Carroll
John O'Carroll
01/10/2002 2:07 pm
The drummer HAS to learn to lighten his touch. It will make him a better, more versatile drummer. Or, suggest ( demand ? ) that he use some kind of sound muffling device. There are these thin plastic rings that go on the drum skins that effectively cut down some of the volume. And he could stick a pillow or blanket or something in his bass drum to deaden that sound a bit. These may help, but the drummer has to learn a lighter touch. Your PA should be enough for a "garage band" type of application - it could do small clubs and bars too. Gotta get that drummer under control.
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/10/2002 6:16 pm
We could get into a long discussion about what type of music has the best drummers, but I just want to point out that jazz drummers are able to contribute to their bands while using light sticks, or even brushes.

When rock'n'roll was getting started, the drum kit was usually one snare, one high-hat, and a small kick-drum. The monster kits we see now, being played with sticks that look like baseball bats, came about as a response to the guitar and bass players who were getting bigger amps.

Your champ is really all the guitar amp you are ever likely to need. The PA amp should be more than adequate for small clubs. Your drummer will need to make some adjustments.

First, he should change to a lighter gauge of stick. Then, he will need to adjust the tension on his drum heads to match the sticks. This may mean changing the heads to lighter, thinner, skins. He may well find that he prefers this new setup, because it will be much more responsive, without having to hit the drums like he's trying to kill a mastodon!

It will be something like the changes a guitar player goes through, in moving from an acoustic to an electric. A skilled touch, and finesse become very important. As John O'Carroll has pointed out, this will make him a better drummer.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
trebledamage
trebledamage
01/10/2002 10:37 pm
You may also want to consider sound proofing the room you play in. There are inexpensive ways to sound proof a room, provided that the person who owns the room will let you do it. The sound proofing will absorb some of the extraneous noise or ring that you get from the drums and the cymbals. You should also try moving the drums further from the rest of the band if you have the extra space.
:cool:
# 5
Parrot Head 1970
Parrot Head 1970
01/13/2002 5:05 am
Ear Plugs, Ear Plugs, Ear Plugs!!!!!!!

There are two reasons that all touring musicians are wearing their monitors in their ears!!!!!!!!

One so they can hear them clearer and two so they can hear!

Ask Ted Nugent.(make sure you talk into his good ear)

Get some foam ear plugs. You'll find you actually hear better in a loud environment.

All the best!!!!!!! :cool:
# 6
Erik2005
Erik2005
01/13/2002 6:47 am
How much are the monitors that you can put in your ears? Can anoyne give me a link to a set, and do they protect the ears also? Thanks!

-Erik
# 7
mamamalabass
mamamalabass
01/14/2002 4:57 pm
LISTEN TO LORDOFTHESTRINGS!!!!!That is excellent advice for you and I couldn't have said it any better.
# 8
blackrose
blackrose
01/14/2002 9:09 pm
heres some advice- tell the drummer to stfu and save $ on gear.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.