Frustrated Love Affair

Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
07/24/2009 4:04 pm
So, I know this girl. Stratocastina is her name. And I am attracted to her. I didn't used to be, I thought she was like all the others and people just made too much of a fuss about her. She looked pretty fine and all, but...meh. Just another pretty face, right?

Then she came to my place and I started getting to know her better and I fell in love. Trouble is, she just doesn't treat me right at all. Always sending me mixed messages. One day we'll be getting along just great, and I could want no other, willing to give up my friends Les, Paul & Gibby and spend all my time with her... But then, she'll just turn around and put everything in the way of our relationship.

In frustration, I ignore her and return to my old friends for comfort. We have a great time, but every time I see Stratocastina, I am again drawn to her. Eventually I crumble, and again cast aside my good friends, spending time only with Stratocastina, although I know it will likely end in frustration once more.

Like the last time I had her out. I was trying to gently guide her on the Bridge, and she kept sticking things in the way between us. Her reproach was Volumous and I didn't like her Tone. She Switches moods so that it gets in the way. So annoying! I don't know why I am so attracted to her. She seems to like me, too, but on some days I just don't know her at all.

Loving her is like an art unto itself. Dear Abby, I don't know what to do!
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 1
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
07/24/2009 4:33 pm
Does she know that you have other options? Maybe you need to threaten to burn her like a witch if she doesn't play right? Sounds high maint... Life is to short.

Maybe she doesn't like the way you stroke her, maybe she feels your touch is not consistant. Maybe she's just as frustrated as you and doesn't want to perform.
:p
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 2
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
07/24/2009 6:13 pm
My heart is broken. I don't think you're helping! :D
# 3
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
07/24/2009 9:16 pm
Just layn' down the facts man... Truth hurts.
# 4
guitarplayer196
guitarplayer196
07/24/2009 9:24 pm
Originally Posted by: RazboSo, I know this girl. Stratocastina is her name. And I am attracted to her. I didn't used to be, I thought she was like all the others and people just made too much of a fuss about her. She looked pretty fine and all, but...meh. Just another pretty face, right?

Then she came to my place and I started getting to know her better and I fell in love. Trouble is, she just doesn't treat me right at all. Always sending me mixed messages. One day we'll be getting along just great, and I could want no other, willing to give up my friends Les, Paul & Gibby and spend all my time with her... But then, she'll just turn around and put everything in the way of our relationship.

In frustration, I ignore her and return to my old friends for comfort. We have a great time, but every time I see Stratocastina, I am again drawn to her. Eventually I crumble, and again cast aside my good friends, spending time only with Stratocastina, although I know it will likely end in frustration once more.

Like the last time I had her out. I was trying to gently guide her on the Bridge, and she kept sticking things in the way between us. Her reproach was Volumous and I didn't like her Tone. She Switches moods so that it gets in the way. So annoying! I don't know why I am so attracted to her. She seems to like me, too, but on some days I just don't know her at all.

Your better off with a cheap foreign number anyways - lower maintenance
"I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if its the right one and it will probably whip the guy with 20 notes." Les Paul - 2002
# 5
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
07/24/2009 10:24 pm
Originally Posted by: guitarplayer196Your better off with a cheap foreign number anyways - lower maintenance

I hear the asian ones treat you better too. ;)
# 6
JeffS65
JeffS65
07/25/2009 12:00 am
Originally Posted by: RazboSo, I know this girl. Stratocastina is her name. And I am attracted to her. I didn't used to be, I thought she was like all the others and people just made too much of a fuss about her. She looked pretty fine and all, but...meh. Just another pretty face, right?

I've always said that if you have an issue with a relationship that you look at yourself first and understand what issues you may bring to the table before you look at the one you desire to find fault.

Many have desired and been happy with the likes of a Stratocastina. Some have made lifetime commitments to her type. She must not be all that bad. Perhaps the kind of handling you give is not what she desires and specifically, not what she reacts too.

You may treat yours friends Les Paul and Gibby one way but they are the guys you hang out with, you would never want to treat the one whose curves you desire in the same manner.

It is perhaps you that the beguiling nature of Stratocastina has been lost upon and possibly some reflection on your treatment might be of the essence.
# 7
Rykoshet
Rykoshet
07/25/2009 2:06 pm
I used to be like you man, but I've noticed it's all in my head. There's only one sound I haven't been able to make out of her, and that's a very Lucille type sound. She'll never sound like a Paul with 2 humbuckers, but she can come damn close for all intents and purposes.

Take a look at the people who have come before you, and the sound they've been able to get out of it. Jimi, Clapton, Buddy Guy, Iron Maiden, Van Halen, Mark Knopfler, just to name a few. Hell, look at Chris Schlegel and the videos he does with a regular strat with 3 single coil pickups.

If you have the opportunity to spread your love, great, but if you've only got one, learn to love it because it can do some great things if you treat her right.

That said, I might put a humbucker on my lead pickup...but I'm afraid it would give me too much attack and lose some of the bluesiness and almost jazziness that makes them so much fun.
# 8
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/25/2009 10:10 pm
Originally Posted by: Razbo... Like the last time I had her out. I was trying to gently guide her on the Bridge, and she kept sticking things in the way between us. Her reproach was Volumous and I didn't like her Tone. She Switches moods so that it gets in the way. So annoying! I don't know why I am so attracted to her. She seems to like me, too, but on some days I just don't know her at all...

Like any comely wench who aspires to perfection but falls just short, there are surgical options to consider. In this case, clean removal of that troublesome Volume mole next to her bridge. The underlying structure of the remaining two pots must be reconfigured to 1 Master Volume, and 1 Master Tone. The result is that she will respond to your touch, without the capricious diversions you have been plagued with 'til now.

When the work is done, seize her boldly, hold her close, smirk broadly, then spank that lady. She'll love you for it.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 9
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
07/27/2009 1:24 am
Good advice form everyone! I will work on my approach a bit before resorting to surgery. ;)
# 10
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
08/17/2009 12:19 pm
Well, things are working out much better with Stratocastina. I'm glad I didn't go for the surgery! :D It's interesting to me that when I picked up the electric and joined this site, I was almost anti-Fender, but now that single coil sound has got me hooked big time. I just added a "telecaster" to my stable and I love it. (Not a real Fender production, I ebayed parts, and it turned out great.)

I assumed I was going to play rock & metal, which had normally been my thing, but it seems I am drawn more to the Blues, so that also fits. Maybe it's age, I dunno, but that's what kept coming out of my fingers, so I have stopped fighting it.

Now I want a real MIA Fender Strat. I have too many guitars, yet each one has a reason I need it!
# 11
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
08/18/2009 6:26 pm
You know... I find that I really enjoy turning off the distortion, filtering through many of the clean or modulated tones in the Podx3 and just listening to the clean tone of the guitar.. It's a nice change.

But, it also has an added benefit. You can't hide from your slop.

Also, I'm interested in blues as well, but, how it pertains to rock. Some of my favorite rock has blues feel to them. RATT for one, had a lot of bluesy style to their music.

Oh yeah... And putting together mutts is fun huh? Igor turned out better than I could have ever hoped for. It's a rock solid axe with an AWESOME tone and feel.
# 12
Greg Vinson
Greg Vinson
09/06/2009 9:21 pm

LOL!!!!!! If you're as good a story teller with a guitar as you are with a computer keyboard, I'd go see you play anytime. Well done, Cassanova!
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.