Music Theory – Grade 2, part 1

ren
ren
06/25/2009 10:27 pm
Music Theory is a vast subject, and one that many guitarists could use more than they do. It is true that some of our heroes cannot read a note of music, but I imagine if they had, they could and perhaps would have achieved even more. Hopefully, the four parts of grade 1 came together for you and the test last time went OK. If you find at any point that what you're reading isn't holding together, please go back and review grade 1... there's nothing worse than being lost in this stuff.

Hopefully music is starting to make a little more sense, let's start to build on the foundations of grade 1 with grade 2...

The Bass Clef

As per grade 1 part 1, most guitar music is written in the treble clef. However, not all instruments use this clef and for the purposes of understanding the theory, we must add another,
the Bass Clef:

Notice in bar 2 of the 2/2 example that 2/2 and 4/4 are similar but that, the structure remains fundamentally different. Also three quavers in 3/8 would usually be beamed together, I have not done this to clearly show the note type for you. When beaming notes, remember to beam to beats so the 3/8 semiquaver (eighth note) example is correct. You would not beam 6 semiquavers into 2 groups of 3 in 3/8 because you need to emphasize and separate the 3 beats of the bar.

And that brings grade 2 part one to a close. Next time, I'll be bringing you 3 new major keys and 3 new minors – up to key signatures of three sharps or 3 flats... until then, take time to go over the material above, go over the material in grade 1 so you can tie it all together and please PM me if you have any questions...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 1
Jim Blake
Full Access
Jim Blake
Full Access
06/27/2009 12:39 am
In your grade two theory lesson. You illustrate various notes in 2/2 time.
In the last measure of your illustration you have sixteen eighth notes beamed in fours. How would you count such a measure. 1 e & d, 2 e & d etc... for each beamed group doesn't work because you end up with four counts in a two count measure. Am I making any sense?
# 2
ren
ren
07/28/2009 8:03 am
HI Jim,

Yes, I know what you mean. FOr the purposes of counting while learning and getting the note groups in your head and under your fingers, I would probably count as you suggest as if in 4/4 time.

What I actually do in face to face lessons is count it as:

1,2,3,4 1,2,3,4 2,2,3,4 2,2,3,4 so as to emphasise the 2 main beats of the bar. Whether that actually helps I don't know, but I'd suggest counting it as 4/4 whle you get used to it.

If I'm not making much sense send me a PM for further clarification :)

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 3
ren
ren
07/28/2009 8:03 am
HI Jim,

Yes, I know what you mean. For the purposes of counting while learning and getting the note groups in your head and under your fingers, I would probably count as you suggest as if in 4/4 time.

1,2,3,4 1,2,3,4 2,2,3,4 2,2,3,4 so as to emphasise the 2 main beats of the bar. Whether that actually helps I don't know, but I'd suggest counting it as 4/4 whle you get used to it.

# 4
Jim Blake
Full Access
Jim Blake
Full Access
07/28/2009 2:12 pm
Originally Posted by: renHI Jim,

Yes, I know what you mean. For the purposes of counting while learning and getting the note groups in your head and under your fingers, I would probably count as you suggest as if in 4/4 time.

You make an abundance of sense and thanks for the clarificaton. I have often wonder how to correctly standardize the 'cut time' count. Thanks lots.
# 5
gavin_rossdale
gavin_rossdale
05/04/2011 5:03 am
nice lessons..this simple lessons inspires us beginners to learn music more than what we know now..
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.