girl guitar player

chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
01/08/2002 2:55 am
Natalie Merchant used to have a female guitar player in her band, she was really good, sort of bluesy meets classic rock.
# 1
Bardsley
Bardsley
01/08/2002 7:22 am
Well, this is one of those posts designed to attract females to the guitar world, at least at first. Rask, just yesterday I was listening to Ani Difranco's "Living in CLip" live album again, very cool bass lines were filling the car. As for why we rarely see females playing lead guitar like Satch or Vai, or metal players, ask yourself this: "how many females are in the audience?" You see the audiences of shred concerts being made up almost entirely of guys, and maybe you come to realise that it's a style of music that appeals mainly to a particular gender. Traditional Bulgarian folk singing has a small audience too, but I rarely wonder why it is that no guys I know can sing like that.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 2
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
01/08/2002 8:36 pm
Originally posted by Raskolnikov
Sara Lee!

I've been noodling on some B 52s stuff a lot lately. And I love her work with Ani Difranco.

Hey! Sara Lee makes food! I think i got some in my refrigerator!

Well, i think its hard for girls to play Acoustic guitars because, well, if a girl with big breasts wanted to play sitting down, she'd have to flop her breasts on the top of the guitar which would put her right hand in an akward position. The fingers being little is also one bad thing.

"i am not a sexist pig"
lol thats hilarious
# 3
nechako
nechako
01/08/2002 8:48 pm
A guitar neck is a phallic symbol. Check out the neck and head stock of a fender strat and the way a lot of 80's shredders played them, notice similarities to other activities men perform? Ripping solos lay you back, warm love songs by women invite you in. What you think?
# 4
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
01/08/2002 8:54 pm
in my opinion, the best love songs were written by Robert Hunter, the Grateful Dead lyricist. ok ok so the dead didnt have any REAL REAL love songs by today's standards, but they had some slow songs that had love in them.

I am really suprized at the Men/Woman Ration for Keyboard. If i remember right, there are more men keyboardists than woman, and personally i think women do a great job at keyboaring ( but not guitar )
# 5
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
01/08/2002 11:31 pm
Originally posted by nechako
A guitar neck is a phallic symbol. Check out the neck and head stock of a fender strat and the way a lot of 80's shredders played them, notice similarities to other activities men perform? . . . What you think?

I think you're exactly right.
# 6
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
01/09/2002 12:33 am
I own a steinberger... Am I normal, doctor?
# 7
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/09/2002 1:17 am
Originally posted by nechako
A guitar neck is a phallic symbol. Check out the neck and head stock of a fender strat and the way a lot of 80's shredders played them, notice similarities to other activities men perform? ...
The term 'wanker', as applied to guitarists, becomes self-explanatory! :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 8
Bardsley
Bardsley
01/09/2002 7:26 am
Of course, the guitar body, particularly when related to the bodies of cellos and other stringed instruments, would often be seen as a female form, with a slim waist and large hips. Anyone who has seen that classic portrait of the nude woman from behind, sitting down with the two f-holes painted on her back will know what I mean. But yes, the guitar neck is often used as a phallic symbol - particularly among 80s rock/shred etc -, this could have something to do with guys feelings of inadequacy? Maybe it's just that guys find it too hard to keep their hands out of their pants for a whole set...
As for that comment about women not pl;aying acoustic guitar because of their breats, do you actually know any women? Have you actually seen a woman hold a guitar? If you had, you might realise that it's not really problem, breasts are not like annoying air balloons that hinder movement, are you going to suggest that they can't play sport either?
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 9
friskynibbles
friskynibbles
01/09/2002 10:34 pm
As a psychology student, I find this thread hilarious. Interesting argument...
# 10
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
01/10/2002 1:25 am
Originally posted by Bardsley
Of course, the guitar body, particularly when related to the bodies of cellos and other stringed instruments, would often be seen as a female form, with a slim waist and large hips . . . But yes, the guitar neck is often used as a phallic symbol . . .

So a guitar is sort of like a female body with a penis on top?

Originally posted by Bardsley
As for that comment about women not pl;aying acoustic guitar because of their breats, do you actually know any women? Have you actually seen a woman hold a guitar? If you had, you might realise that it's not really problem, breasts are not like annoying air balloons that hinder movement . . .

Hmmmm . . . about the whole "breasts getting in the way thing" - I've seen acoustic guitars that have a cutout in the back.
# 11
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
01/10/2002 2:47 am
get outa here -lol- are you serious christoph?
# 12
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/10/2002 5:20 am
Originally posted by Lordathestrings
Alannah Myles

Somebody who holds up live please! (We are talking about the woman who re-did "Black Velvet," right?)

I can think of lots of kick ass female musicians who I've seen, but can't remember their names simply because it wasn't quite my kind of listening. Also, speaking of vocalists, Joan Osborn comes to mind. You all need to hear some of her live stuff if you haven't allready.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 13
Bardsley
Bardsley
01/10/2002 7:05 am
Yes, the guitar is transexual! lol. Of course, when people start treating objects as memebers of the opposite sex, or extensions of their own, it seems like something wrong is going on. It's like I've always been wary of people talking about their cars as women, though it seems everyone (male and female alike) seems to do it. Of course, treating objects as women can't be as bad as treating women as objects...
# 14
Psycho Amram
Psycho Amram
01/10/2002 7:12 am
nver thought the post will go THAT far...

so what do you say bout drummers that they got two... you know what i mean... and a whole set of babes around them that they f***em one by one 10 times a sec?
man maybe i should have buy drums... ;)
God sent meat,
and the Devil sent cooks.

Excuse me while i keep this eye
# 15
mamamalabass
mamamalabass
01/10/2002 3:40 pm
Originally posted by Raskolnikov
Sara Lee!

I've been noodling on some B 52s stuff a lot lately. And I love her work with Ani Difranco.

I actually know of a lot of up and coming female bassists.

Of course, playing bass ties in with the whole "songwriting" aspect of music; you have to pay a lot of attention to how what you're playing relates to the song as a whole.
have axe will definitly travel
# 16
mamamalabass
mamamalabass
01/10/2002 3:48 pm
Originally posted by PonyOne
Unfortunately, I think that many of the girl bands out there aren't really into the music so much as making the point that they are girls who play electric guitars and rock.

Sadly, as guitarists like Lita Ford, the lead singer/guitarist of Handsome 3some, and a host of others have showed us, girls/women can be proficient, talented and unique guitarists. But I think a lot who would make some really great rock are discouraged by the fact that rock is male-dominated, and worry that they'll have to either be sex objects or bitch about political causes to be heard or taken seriously.

I hate Kittie, the all-girl rock band who went on Family Values. They sound like a retard chorus! They're not good musicians, and the when the lead singer growls, it embarasses me, and I don't even have anything to do with them. a lot of girls need to realize is that music by the likes of Static X, Filter, and a host of other rock bands, require a deeper voice; at the very highest, a low tenor. And most girls are sopranos or mezzo sopranos. Even a girl with a deep voice (usually Alto) is gonna have a hard time playing songs of that nature because they just can't get the low growl & grind that a really big testosterone-pumped dude can.

A month or two back, there was a female musician who posted a message up asking for female musicians, and I was nice & gave her a few pointers on starting a band. Somewhere in the post I said "I respect your cause" meaning "I respect that you want to start a female rock band." And she jumps all over me about how she doesn't have a CAUSE and maybe I should ASK before I assume.

I ended up making some really scathing remark informing her that she was the one who needed to ask, not me, and that she should practice not being so touchy & overreactive. She never posted again.

Sadly this attitude mimics that of many female rockers I've met: "I'm a bitch, I'm a lover, I'm a child, I'm a mother, I'm a snner I'm a saint, I do not feel ashamed" and all men should stand down as she proceeds to make bad, thoughtless drivel about how we're all pigs. She and her friends are gonna take back the airwaves and smack it to all us guys! Womyn unite!

If more girls and women could take an egalitarian mindset and just form a band cause they like making music, not to make a point about anything.

That said, most of the better girl bands I've heard voiced their instruments arond the sound of the vocalist's voice. If Kittie traded their ESP's for Jaguars, it'd probably help a little...
i agree with you about kitty
# 17
mrcrowley
mrcrowley
01/10/2002 5:54 pm
The whole point of this thread was: Are there any good girl guitarists out there?

My answer is: The lead guitarist from L7 is amazing. She can shred like a maniac, and her solos are creative too. She's the fastest female rock guitarist I've ever heard.

Education is a whip, and I'm being flogged.
# 18
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
01/10/2002 6:55 pm
Originally posted by chris mood
get outa here -lol- are you serious christoph?

LOL! I was just taking Bardsley's reasoning to its final insanity.
# 19
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
01/11/2002 2:10 am
yeah thats right!

You tell that to a girl with massive breast implants, eh?
;)
hah

[Edited by Incidents Happen on 01-10-2002 at 09:15 PM]
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.