Just Wondering(does acohol give you super human Guitar skills)

SoS
SoS
12/30/2001 6:07 am
My parents had a party last night alcohol, dressup, Guitar player the lot!
well i had some mates around and we got totally pissed and when the party was over (the cops had came once) the dude who had been playing told my mum to tell me to come out and have a little jam!.
Anyway mum came in pissed as a Dog tellin me to grab my electric guitar and go outside and play stuff with the dude
It was never raking as hell cause there was still about 50 people there and i was trying to play all these songs trying to follow in time when he was saying the chord and i was so pissed i dunno what each chord sounded like. Soon enough we had songs cranken like Papa Roach and stuff until the cops came around and busted us for nosie pallution
AND the thing is after we finished everyone was comin up sayin how BEUTIFUL i played and some people wherent even pissed so does alcohol GIVE you super Human Guitar Skills or WHAT????????
IF THIS DIDNT MAKE SENSE ITS BECAUSE I WRITE THIS WHEN I HAD MY HANGOVER :(
{SOS}
# 1
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
12/30/2001 10:38 am
alcohol actually lowers inhibition. So what you do not want to do when you're conscious you might do when kind of drunk. That's why people drink, smoke pot, or used to take LSD when they wanted to create their songs.
There are actually ways to get into those states without taking drugs (I consider pot AND alcohol like drugs, maybe the worst ones). Check out Steve VAI's article on his site, there's plenty of advices to create without health hazard...
# 2
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/30/2001 6:18 pm
Short answer: No.

Long answer, maybe a couple of drinks is enough to loosen you up a little and let go, anything more makes you clumsy and sloppy. You're also more likely to decide that something pretty stupid (like lighting the carpet on fire or detuning two octaves, turning your amp all the way up, and playing with WAY too much uncontrolled delay) is actually a rather cool idea.

I hate trying to play when I'm too drunk.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
xxxmudshuvelxxx
xxxmudshuvelxxx
12/30/2001 6:56 pm
straight edge gives me my guitar skills
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/30/2001 7:42 pm
I'd like to say I have clear memories of the booze-fueled gigs I've done, but that whole period is kind of a blur. Some of the things Rask mentioned are stirring dim recollections.

This brings to mind a scene in the film "Crossroads" where the young fella was pumped because he thought they had played so well at a bar. Old 'Blind Dog' explained to him that the audience were simply in the mood to party, and had only heard their alcohol.

Sound familiar?
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 5
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
12/30/2001 8:48 pm
Yeaaaaaaaaaaah and then the kid kicks steve VAI ass.....
# 6
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
12/30/2001 9:23 pm
Drink up! jk lol. usually if the audience is drinking, and ur not, if what you think sounds decent, to them sounds SO INCREDIBLY AWESOME. so dont drink ( or just have one beer or two) and if they audience is drinking ( but also paying attention to the music) they will LOVE IT probably.
# 7
Branislav
Branislav
12/30/2001 10:50 pm
No
but if you drink just a little (not enough to get dizzy or something) you could have some funny ideas and you could sound better because of "special fealing", but not faster...Many songs were created that way (I know for shure for Deep Purple's "Black Night". More alcohol you dring you will play slower and less precisely.

This is from my own expirience :)
Keep Rockin',
Branislav
http://www.stormbringer.1444.net
# 8
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
12/31/2001 6:49 am
i've gotten drunk a few times (im 14) but ya know they were pretty good times til i ran into a tree after ding-dong ditching. Me and a friend got WAY wasted, we were eating chips afterwards, then we went out later that night, dinged his doorbell ( luckily they werent home lol) and it was wierd, we were running ( or tryiing at least ) and we fell at the SAME time, 10 feet a way from each other! weird! we were all laughin and ****, then we got back up and started runnin again, he was a few feet a head ofme, all of a sudden THUMP i was on my ass. i look to the left of me, heres this tree to the left of me , i knocked it outta its roots and everything. my whole body hurt for a few days after that one.
# 9
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/01/2002 3:01 pm
A friend of mine filmed my band playing an open mic once when he was absolutely blasted. You can see at one point on the video where he side stepped into a post in front of the stage: The camera pans left... staggaring a little but generally fine, then all of a sudden the cammera is going up down, sideways, then he kinda bounded around the post... and proceded to film my drummer's crotch...

That may well have been one of the nights he ended up getting dragged off the stage still singing "Swing Low Sweet Charriot."

The basic point here is that a little alcohol may help you loosen up, but it won't help you play better. And to be quite frank, you can loosen up without the alcohol and too much alcohol turns you into a faint shell of the player you are sober.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.