first time recording

Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
02/26/2009 7:39 pm
what can you use on a standard computer to record yourself playing?

Ive never tried to record myself but have some chords that I want to try to play some basic leads over....
and just wondering what I can use without having to buy anything?

any suggestions?
# 1
IzzyPhoreal
IzzyPhoreal
03/01/2009 8:55 pm
Originally Posted by: Itsmesillywhat can you use on a standard computer to record yourself playing?

Ive never tried to record myself but have some chords that I want to try to play some basic leads over....

any suggestions?

Hi Itsmesilly,

First of all, its kind of hard to get something worthwile for nothing. That being said, there are some freeware programs out there that can do a fair job, but professional recording software (such as Sonar by Cakewalk) is the way to go.

Another way to go is to buy a quality sound card that comes bundled with software. I've bought several Sound Blaster cards which came with light versions of Cakewalk software. I bought an Alesis mixer one, and it came with Cubase.

Speaking of mixers, if you are really serious about recording quality tracks, then a good mixer and a good microphone (such as the Shure SM-58) are a must. You can always plug straight into the sound card, but that doesnt yield very good results.

Let me know if you need more info.

Keep on pickin'
Izzy
# 2
grandpadad
HappyHere
grandpadad
HappyHere
03/16/2009 11:54 pm
Hello
I used "Audacity" a freebie .. to transfer my LP's to digital then to Itunes, then Ipod. I think it should work for your purpose also. It,s free and it's uncomplicated to use.
Another look into, if interested.
Grandpadad
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/17/2009 2:13 am
Originally Posted by: Itsmesillywhat can you use on a standard computer to record yourself playing?

any suggestions?

On a Mac, there's software included when you bought it called GarageBand that allows you to record as many tracks as you want.
It also comes with an assortment of drum beats and instruments that you can use to compose with.
To get the sound of the guitar into the computer you'll need a 1/4" mono to 1/8" stereo adapter to plug it in back. The sound will be a little dry without any effects or an amp & speakers to help color the sound, but it's still useable.

I'm not totally familiar with Windows PC's, however, there are several free applications available for multi-tracking as well as some really low priced alternatives if you want something a little extra.
You might have to buy a 1/4" to USB cable in order to plug the guitar in on a Windows PC though cause I don't think they have a 1/8" audio/video connection on the computer itself. The least expensive thing I've seen is something like this for around $40 that allows you to plug into the USB port:

http://www.x-tremegeek.com/templates/SearchDetail.asp?productID=13525

Double check to make sure it works with your operating system though before buying one.
# 4
Superhuman
Superhuman
03/24/2009 2:58 pm
For starters, you can download a copy of Reaper for free at www.reaper.fm
IF you like it you are asked to pay the $50 licence fee - this is optional but you really should do if you get into the software. The free version is uncrippled with no bugs or restrictions and it is genuinely as powerful as ProTools or Cubase/Nuendo (professional grade recording suite). Its got a steep learning curve but stick with it and you will be at industry standard in no time - tip, make sure you use the Reaper forums, they are way more helpful than the user manual!
# 5
Tommy S.
Tommy S.
03/25/2009 11:35 pm
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanFor starters, you can download a copy of Reaper for free at www.reaper.fm
IF you like it you are asked to pay the $50 licence fee - this is optional but you really should do if you get into the software. The free version is uncrippled with no bugs or restrictions and it is genuinely as powerful as ProTools or Cubase/Nuendo (professional grade recording suite). Its got a steep learning curve but stick with it and you will be at industry standard in no time - tip, make sure you use the Reaper forums, they are way more helpful than the user manual!

Some great advice man. I'm going to check out Reaper. I currently use FL Studio to record my music via a MIDI controller (From keyboard to PC). Works like a charm, but I am at the forefront of delving into guitar-based recording.

This will help me a ton!
# 6
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
03/29/2009 7:14 pm
Looking for a jump start if anyone has a quick answer to my woes. I am attempting my own first time recording and I can't seem to get things working at all. I've been surfing forums & reading manuals and I'm getting a tad frustrated because I'm not finding the right answer and I'm not even sure which part is the problem.

I picked up a DigiTech RP 250. I downloaded and installed all the firmware upgrades and the X-Edit software. I got the USB cable and attached the RP 250 to the PC and even watched as Windows told me it found and installed a new MIDI device. PC patch editing is very cool and the pedal is otherwise working awesome! Since the editor works, I think I can assume that part is fine.

[Edit: New info]
I have output from Reaper. I can get the sample project out put thru my amp, so it's working in one direction at least. Just not recording.
[end edit]

I then installed the Reaper software and am unable to pick up the signal from the device. I've got the DigiTech recognized in the Reaper software and I can select it, but it does not seem to pick it up.

I've been trying different selections in Windows Recording & Playback options. I don't know if I just haven't hit the correct combination yet, or if I'm still missing a link or what. I have absolutely 0 experience with this

I doubt it is Reaper or the pedal since both those parts appear to "see and be seen"; I think it's something in Windows I have not set right, but that's only a guess.

I thought I'd throw out this plea for help while I continue sifting the various forums & manuals. Am running Windows XP sp3 and I only have an integrated sound card at the moment.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 7
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
03/29/2009 7:54 pm
Nevermind, I found it. I leave these posts for anyone else who might follow 'cause it's stupid confusing =P.

In Reaper I had selected for input: MIDI -> DigiTech -> Channel. That might be possible in some way but for me I instead had to select Stereo, not MIDI. We'll see.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 8
Brad Litton
Brad Litton
04/03/2009 3:21 am
Originally Posted by: Tommy S.Some great advice man. I'm going to check out Reaper. I currently use FL Studio to record my music via a MIDI controller (From keyboard to PC). Works like a charm, but I am at the forefront of delving into guitar-based recording.

This will help me a ton!

What up Tommy!? Good to see you here!

Anyway, I've been just using Garageband lately to do a lot of recording. Once I got used to the midi and stuff, it's been really, really, really awesome. I can't believe that Apple just gives out such an awesome program for free pretty much. I've been working on a new song this week and so far everyone I have let listen to it says, "What group is that? That's awesome!" They can't believe that it's just me with drum loops, midi, and my guitars in my room, lol!
# 9
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
04/03/2009 5:15 am
I agree with Grandpadad,

Audacity (PC) is real basic and easy to record with and it's free. When I demoed this month's giveaway, the X3 Live, I used Audacity to test the computer interface because I wanted to see if anybody could make a recording on a computer without spending any money...I should post the demo...maybe on the GT MySpace page..hmm.
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 10
realheaven09
realheaven09
04/03/2009 9:15 am

any suggestions?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello, I used AvRack to record the sound. It can find in windows 2000.
or you can use WavePad / AudioTime.
But Adobe Audition is better for professional audio editing environment.
thanks.
# 11
daleone
daleone
04/03/2009 1:06 pm
Some very good ideas. I'll try all of them, then decide. Thanks
# 12
dragonshade
dragonshade
04/09/2009 9:12 am
Unless you have a top notch computer, TOP notch sound card, and a very good program you will suffer latency recording to your computer (a half to full second delay) which makes it impossible to do well, and is so frustrating.

A tip... save $100.00 or so and buy a Boss Micro BR off ebay. It is a guitarist's dream. A digital 4 track recorder (really has 32 tracks) with full amp modeling, a basic drum machine with hundreds of loops that you can arrange together for complete songs, a metronome, a "trainer".. where you play along with mp3's but it takes out the guitars and leaves you playing with the drums and bass, and the capablity to record CD quailty music (and has a line in for a mic, and a built in mic. too).

To give an idea I'm posting a short song (original) that myself and friend in Australia did. He also has a MicroBR and we did a collaboration via email. I wrote the riffs, and recorded them straight into my BR by the metronome, sent the file to him, he then added another guitar, and bass. He also programmed ALL drums in the MicroBR. What I mean by this is all the drums are loops in the BR that he arranged to go with our guitars, this is easy to do when you record with a metronome. EVERYTHING you hear was done in the little machine. Guitars plugged straight into it, not a single amp used in any aspect.

Get one, you can't go wrong... much better than struggling to record on a computer, and very cheap. Best muscial investment I have ever made.

Ray
# 13
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
05/01/2009 3:27 pm
To be honest and truthfull, I was using the M audio black Box with a USB connection and it was no end of grief
I admitted defeated after 2 years and bought a behringer pe -amp mixer, I'm using the audio output of the black box straight into the mixer and on into the mic input - i've completely done away with the USB connection
I use another output from the mixer as a monitor (amp )
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.