View post (first time recording)

View thread

Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/17/2009 2:13 am
Originally Posted by: Itsmesillywhat can you use on a standard computer to record yourself playing?

Ive never tried to record myself but have some chords that I want to try to play some basic leads over....
and just wondering what I can use without having to buy anything?

any suggestions?

On a Mac, there's software included when you bought it called GarageBand that allows you to record as many tracks as you want.
It also comes with an assortment of drum beats and instruments that you can use to compose with.
To get the sound of the guitar into the computer you'll need a 1/4" mono to 1/8" stereo adapter to plug it in back. The sound will be a little dry without any effects or an amp & speakers to help color the sound, but it's still useable.

I'm not totally familiar with Windows PC's, however, there are several free applications available for multi-tracking as well as some really low priced alternatives if you want something a little extra.
You might have to buy a 1/4" to USB cable in order to plug the guitar in on a Windows PC though cause I don't think they have a 1/8" audio/video connection on the computer itself. The least expensive thing I've seen is something like this for around $40 that allows you to plug into the USB port:

http://www.x-tremegeek.com/templates/SearchDetail.asp?productID=13525

Double check to make sure it works with your operating system though before buying one.