Free Waves GTR Solo software


Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Joined: 03/05/00
Posts: 4,722
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Joined: 03/05/00
Posts: 4,722
01/28/2009 9:03 am
If you go to this link you can get a free, one year licensed copy of GTR Solo


http://www.wavesgtr.com/html/product_gtr_solo.html

info:

GTR Solo delivers the sound of real amps, cabs, stomps, and mics—in your computer. Just plug in, fire it up, and experience precision models of amplifiers by Fender®, Marshall®, Vox® and others. Then take it to the next level with awesome distortion, modulation, and ambient effects.

These are the same GTR sounds top guitarists, producers, and engineers are using on their most important tracks.
# 1
jonathanp12
Full Access
Joined: 01/20/09
Posts: 80
jonathanp12
Full Access
Joined: 01/20/09
Posts: 80
01/29/2009 12:54 am
Hi Kevin,

It looks a good product. Never heard of it. I am pretty new to guitar world. So that software emulate perfectly 10 different guitar amplifiers but pratically, what we can do with it? :confused: Can I use it to jam along by example? I read on their Web site but I don't have found the answer to my question.

Thank you
[FONT=Verdana]Jonathan Poulin
Quebec Canada[/FONT]
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Joined: 03/05/00
Posts: 4,722
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Joined: 03/05/00
Posts: 4,722
01/29/2009 2:05 am
Generally, what I use stuff like that for is to adjust the final sound on a recorded guitar track.
For instance, I'll record a guitar track with a certain sound using my Boss GT-8 Multi-Effects Unit. Then later when I'm mixing the song down, I'll find the guitar doesn't sit properly with the other instruments. Or in the case of overdrive sounds, it's too harsh and fuzzy sounding.
So I run it through Amplitube in my case (same type of thing) and try different emulations until I find something that makes the guitar sound more like it was coming from a real amp instead of being recorded direct.

You can also use it beef up bass synth parts or sample bass tracks. Most bass samples sound pretty cheezy by themselves.

For special effects you could run a vocal track through it or any other instrument if you're looking for something unique.

You can also use it live, however you need a really fast computer or soundcard with zero latency.
# 3
Mark1237
Registered User
Joined: 03/09/08
Posts: 47
Mark1237
Registered User
Joined: 03/09/08
Posts: 47
01/29/2009 4:48 am
What exactly is needed to connect your guitar to your computer?
# 4
jonathanp12
Full Access
Joined: 01/20/09
Posts: 80
jonathanp12
Full Access
Joined: 01/20/09
Posts: 80
01/29/2009 4:54 am
Originally Posted by: Kevin TaylorGenerally, what I use stuff like that for is to adjust the final sound on a recorded guitar track.
For instance, I'll record a guitar track with a certain sound using my Boss GT-8 Multi-Effects Unit. Then later when I'm mixing the song down, I'll find the guitar doesn't sit properly with the other instruments. Or in the case of overdrive sounds, it's too harsh and fuzzy sounding.
So I run it through Amplitube in my case (same type of thing) and try different emulations until I find something that makes the guitar sound more like it was coming from a real amp instead of being recorded direct.

You can also use it beef up bass synth parts or sample bass tracks. Most bass samples sound pretty cheezy by themselves.

For special effects you could run a vocal track through it or any other instrument if you're looking for something unique.

You can also use it live, however you need a really fast computer or soundcard with zero latency.


Kevin, thanks for the answer.
[FONT=Verdana]Jonathan Poulin
Quebec Canada[/FONT]
# 5
jonathanp12
Full Access
Joined: 01/20/09
Posts: 80
jonathanp12
Full Access
Joined: 01/20/09
Posts: 80
01/29/2009 4:57 am
Originally Posted by: Mark1237What exactly is needed to connect your guitar to your computer?


By example you can use an interface like the one here.
[FONT=Verdana]Jonathan Poulin
Quebec Canada[/FONT]
# 6
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Joined: 03/05/00
Posts: 4,722
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Joined: 03/05/00
Posts: 4,722
01/29/2009 5:02 am
Originally Posted by: Mark1237What exactly is needed to connect your guitar to your computer?


hmm.. it depends on the computer. I'm not that familiar with Windows stuff but you might need to install a soundcard. Those usually have either 1/8" or 1/4" inputs that you can connect to directly or with an adapter.

Macs already have the soundcard built in and you just need to use a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter to plug it in.
Although for best results you might want to get an external firewire box like the M-Audio Firewire 410 or something similar.
With that you take your guitar and either plug it in directly to the 410 which is then plugged into your firewire input. This will give you a lower latency than the built in soundcard.

There's other ways as well. Some companies make specific USB guitar cables that you just plug in.
# 7
jonathanp12
Full Access
Joined: 01/20/09
Posts: 80
jonathanp12
Full Access
Joined: 01/20/09
Posts: 80
01/29/2009 5:23 am
Originally Posted by: Kevin Taylorhmm.. it depends on the computer. I'm not that familiar with Windows stuff but you might need to install a soundcard. Those usually have either 1/8" or 1/4" inputs that you can connect to directly or with an adapter.

Macs already have the soundcard built in and you just need to use a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter to plug it in.
Although for best results you might want to get an external firewire box like the M-Audio Firewire 410 or something similar.
With that you take your guitar and either plug it in directly to the 410 which is then plugged into your firewire input. This will give you a lower latency than the built in soundcard.

There's other ways as well. Some companies make specific USB guitar cables that you just plug in.


So Kevin what about those interfaces like the one here? I answered to Mark1237 saying it's a way to connect a guitar to a computer. That's what I read at the supplied link above.

And for the USB guitar cables, do you mean I can connect my guitar to my computer with it and record tracks that can be used with the GTR Solo software by example?
[FONT=Verdana]Jonathan Poulin
Quebec Canada[/FONT]
# 8
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Joined: 03/05/00
Posts: 4,722
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Joined: 03/05/00
Posts: 4,722
01/29/2009 5:40 am
Yep. Or you can use something like this:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/04/28/music-thing-the-usb-lightsnake-and-other-ways-to-connect-your-a/
# 9
jonathanp12
Full Access
Joined: 01/20/09
Posts: 80
jonathanp12
Full Access
Joined: 01/20/09
Posts: 80
01/30/2009 1:10 am
Originally Posted by: Kevin TaylorYep. Or you can use something like this:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/04/28/music-thing-the-usb-lightsnake-and-other-ways-to-connect-your-a/


Cool things that USB cable!

And the interface here seems more profesionnal I think and producing a nicer sounds. Is it right?
[FONT=Verdana]Jonathan Poulin
Quebec Canada[/FONT]
# 10
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Joined: 03/05/00
Posts: 4,722
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Joined: 03/05/00
Posts: 4,722
01/30/2009 2:04 am
Originally Posted by: jonathanp12Cool things that USB cable!

And the interface here seems more profesionnal I think and producing a nicer sounds. Is it right?



I'd assume so, I can't say for sure because I haven't tried either one but this one was made specifically for the GTR3 so they're meant to work together.
# 11
Mark1237
Registered User
Joined: 03/09/08
Posts: 47
Mark1237
Registered User
Joined: 03/09/08
Posts: 47
01/30/2009 2:59 am
Thanks for the answers.
# 12
jonathanp12
Full Access
Joined: 01/20/09
Posts: 80
jonathanp12
Full Access
Joined: 01/20/09
Posts: 80
01/30/2009 10:36 pm
Originally Posted by: Kevin TaylorI'd assume so, I can't say for sure because I haven't tried either one but this one was made specifically for the GTR3 so they're meant to work together.


Ok and it appears like good products.
[FONT=Verdana]Jonathan Poulin
Quebec Canada[/FONT]
# 13
light487
Forum Administrator
Joined: 07/14/07
Posts: 849
light487
Forum Administrator
Joined: 07/14/07
Posts: 849
01/30/2009 10:51 pm
I use this one and have never had any problems with it:

http://ikmultimedia.com/stealthplug/features/
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator


GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 14
jonathanp12
Full Access
Joined: 01/20/09
Posts: 80
jonathanp12
Full Access
Joined: 01/20/09
Posts: 80
01/30/2009 11:17 pm
Originally Posted by: light487I use this one and have never had any problems with it:

http://ikmultimedia.com/stealthplug/features/


Thanks for the reply. Nice bundle there.
[FONT=Verdana]Jonathan Poulin
Quebec Canada[/FONT]
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.