Lost Our Way (back home)

333maxwell
333maxwell
01/23/2009 2:29 am
Here is a little alternative country ditty I just finished
if anyone is interested. It's kinda sappy but heartfelt
all the same. I know it isn't everyones cup of tea,
but I never really liked tea anyway.

Interested in any thoughts. On mix, words, music or guitar.

Lost Our Way (back home)
lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=7264505&q=lo
hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=7264505&q=hi

Lost Our Way (back home)

Bettie Jean was the high school queen
now she has 3 kids one's turned 17
in her drawer is a tarnished ring
broken dream, doesn't mean a thing
there are times theres a teardrop in her eye
but she moves ahead and lets the teardrops dry

Danny boy was his mommas joy
now mommas gone and he's so withdrawn
He found a girl, but he was just her fling
broken dream doesnt mean a thing
He's never found some one on who he can rely
but he moves ahead as if to defy

la la la la
lost our way back home

a little girl in her restless world
looks up to the sky as she wonders why
her warm homes gone and the colds stinging
broken dreams don't mean anything
she told her daddy she would make it on her own
her friends all cheered her on, now she's all alone

la la la la
lost our way back home
# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
01/25/2009 1:29 pm
That's really, really good. Kinda has a Tom Waits feel but with a better voice (perhaps more like a Mark Knopfler) or a Lyle Lovitt. Just a good, low key and almost slightly depressing vibe. I think that was intended considering the lyrics. Relly tasty.

I went and listened to your audio you soundclick page and overall, you nearly have a solid disc of material. With the exception of the electronica 'Late for Work' deal, the total of the material makes for a pretty good cohesive release. I hear so many different things going on that are just quite good. From Pink Floyd, to what I said above, to Steely Dan to all kinds of others, it just seems to work. Ever looked at a label?

Thing is, I've been in the music biz for a long time even to the extent of having a small label nationally distributed (if you wanna get screwed..that's where it happens) and my point is that I've heard enough stuff over the years and had to develop an ear for good. Not 'my' good. Honestly, I would suggest that what you dp is not my taste. Doesn't matter, good is good. Think about the label deal. Also, I think Diary of a Spaceman would be very cool with lyrics.
# 2
333maxwell
333maxwell
01/26/2009 7:39 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65That's really, really good. Kinda has a Tom Waits feel but with a better voice (perhaps more like a Mark Knopfler) or a Lyle Lovitt. Just a good, low key and almost slightly depressing vibe. I think that was intended considering the lyrics. Relly tasty.

I went and listened to your audio you soundclick page and overall, you nearly have a solid disc of material. With the exception of the electronica 'Late for Work' deal, the total of the material makes for a pretty good cohesive release. I hear so many different things going on that are just quite good. From Pink Floyd, to what I said above, to Steely Dan to all kinds of others, it just seems to work. Ever looked at a label?

Thing is, I've been in the music biz for a long time even to the extent of having a small label nationally distributed (if you wanna get screwed..that's where it happens) and my point is that I've heard enough stuff over the years and had to develop an ear for good. Not 'my' good. Honestly, I would suggest that what you dp is not my taste. Doesn't matter, good is good. Think about the label deal. Also, I think Diary of a Spaceman would be very cool with lyrics.

Your very kind Jeff..

I can imagine for the same the same reasons you attribute to me (being all over the map musically) that any lable would never know how to market anyone like me.. there are very few 'anything goes' music formats for promotion.

In fact, I rather feel like the wandering guy without a home.

I was once told I should do one thing and do it well.. but as a musician and songwriter I simply can't. I write what I feel when I feel about what I feel.. like I say, I can't imagine there is any serious lable that would touch me with a ten foot pole.. *sigh*..

But as Jimmy once said 'thats ok, I still got my guitar'.. :)

Appreciate the kind words and sentiments.. made my day!

Peace!
# 3
RGX312l
RGX312l
01/27/2009 2:06 am
Great song!! the lyrics are so moving, Hitler could have read it and still make people cry ...

My fav line is " ...but she moves ahead and lets the teardrops dry". WOW!

In my opinion, much 'worse' and meaningless songs had won the Grammy...but anyway, I dun think anyone gives a **** about that here ...;)

RGX312L

PS: Diary of a Spaceman is one of my fav from your collection.
"Dangerous Distortion, Serious Sustain"

www.soundcloud.com/rgx312l
# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
01/29/2009 2:40 am
Originally Posted by: 333maxwellYour very kind Jeff..

I can imagine for the same the same reasons you attribute to me (being all over the map musically) that any lable would never know how to market anyone like me.. there are very few 'anything goes' music formats for promotion.

In fact, I rather feel like the wandering guy without a home.

I was once told I should do one thing and do it well.. but as a musician and songwriter I simply can't. I write what I feel when I feel about what I feel.. like I say, I can't imagine there is any serious lable that would touch me with a ten foot pole.. *sigh*..

But as Jimmy once said 'thats ok, I still got my guitar'.. :)

Appreciate the kind words and sentiments.. made my day!

Peace!

While I won't beat a dead horse...I'll get out my horse beating stick for a bit.

I agree if the thought is to sign to a major. Unless you look like Britney and are willing to pimp other peoples songs these days, that's a dead end.

I would look for a well distributed indie label. An indie will do much more for you than a major would with A&R and promotion. They key though, is distribution. They may have a distro agreement with a major or may use their distro houses (ie - RED Music - http://www.redmusic.com/aboutus.htm ). This allows mid-level labels the ability to move product while maintaining musical cred. The Distro house just requires the indie to sell a certain amount of volume and also have a regular release schedule (such as maintaining at least 2 releases a month from the label).

It's not a major and fortuen and fame may not be around the corner. However, RED was a distro for Insane Clown Posse, My Morning Jacket, Nine Inch Nails, Elliott Yamin, Dwight Yoakam, Radiohead and Switchfoot. They also distro'd the first 2 Metallica releases when they were known as 'Important'.

Not that you would look for a label that is with RED but that you can see that it is an avenue that an eclectic artist can explore and make a little something out of their music.

/Dead horse beating ;)
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.