Compressor pedal decision

equator
equator
01/12/2009 10:06 pm
Hi guys. A few months ago I asked you to help me pick up a distortion pedal.
You guys gave me your honest and informed opinion.
I ended up buying a Boss DS-1 and I am really happy with it.
This is how you voted back then: http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=161

Now I come to you asking your input to help me decide what compressor I should get.
I don’t want to spend more than $80, and in that price range I’ve found three pedals that I really like.

Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
MXR M-132 Super Comp
MXR M-102 Dyna Comp

I had a chance to test drive the Boss CS-3 and the MXR M-102 Dyna Com. I also read reviews, heard the sound clips and watched demos about them.
The other pedal (MXR M-132 Super Comp) I haven’t had a chance to test or watch demos, but the reviews and descriptions are good.

Thanks in advance. :)
Your input is needed before Saturday

Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 1
Superhuman
Superhuman
01/13/2009 2:50 pm
No experience with the MXR pedals so I would go with the old reliable Boss workhorse. You can't go wrong with Boss, besides performance they are virtually indestructible :D
# 2
paddyz1
paddyz1
01/13/2009 11:37 pm
Save your money (for a long time) and buy the boss gt-10

If only I had the money :)
# 3
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
01/13/2009 11:41 pm
All of my pedals are Boss, and I've used the CS-3 for several years. I would go with that one, and it will probably have the best price of the 3. Not sure what they go for now, but I think it's in your price range.

JD
# 4
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
01/14/2009 12:06 am
It's just me, but I would steer clear of effects processors, until you know a little more about what everything does. True, they have everything, but presets will teach you nothing about what a compressor does.

My power supply wouldn't work for my proc at a show once, and I only had an amp with spring reverb, and a compressor to get through the gig. If I only had presets, and knew nothing about effects, it wouldn't have turned out well.

I think you will be very happy with a CS-3 by Boss, if you want a proc in the future, get one. I Just want everyone to know there are other ways to get great tone, without tearing your hair out trying to set parameters. If you know how to use one, a proc can be great. It can also make you lazy in your playing, because it's a processed signal and doesn't pick up as much of the string noise. This can also be a drawback, when you want noise from the strings for other effects, such as harmonics or screaming bends.

Bottom line do what makes you happy now, and you can always upgrade later.

JD
# 5
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
01/14/2009 12:17 am
Sixpicker.. Funny you mention that. I started with a Line6 PODx3 and curently I'm buying the pedals that I use out of the processor and eventually wont use my pod for anything but practice when i need headphones on, or simply don't want to waste tubes. But generally, I feel that the bean pod constricts the overall quality of the tone. Perhaps a more expensive setup wouldn't

ONe thing that's nice about the pod, is that I can hook it up to my pc and ply through my pc speakers. :p
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 6
JeffS65
JeffS65
01/14/2009 12:20 am
Reviews seem pretty good and it's the right price:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rocktron-Big-Crush-Compressor-Pedal?sku=154228

Harmony Central Reviews:
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Rocktron/Big+Crush/10/1

Don't have it personally but thought of getting a compressor.
# 7
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/14/2009 12:47 am
Just out of curiosity. How come you guys don't just save up a few hundred bucks and buy a Boss GT-8 or something.
You'd have hundreds of Vintage Boss pedals at your disposal and no worries about batteries or extra cables.
Plus speaker and amp simulation, wah, pitch shifting, arpegiator, feedbacker, wave synth, auto riff, harmonizer and hundreds of other effects.
# 8
equator
equator
01/14/2009 12:59 am
Thanks guys.
Yeah, I have a multi-effects unit; but the sounds are too digital, that’s why I am going analog.
When I tested the two pedals the MXR M-102 Dyna Com sounded better than the Boss CS-3 IMO, but I honestly didn’t have enough time to tweak all the controls of the Boss pedal.
Both pedals are build like tanks and should last for a long time. :D

I came across the Rocktron Big Crush when I started to look for compressors and I liked the price and the features, but I keep hearing people say that it is noisy, and noise is the last thing I need in the signal chain. ;)

Thanks guys your advice is really appreciated.
Don’t forget to vote. :)

equator's Music Page.

# 9
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/14/2009 1:09 am
Yeah, I found that too. There's a little unit called a Redbox Cabinetulator that you can put into the effects loop though, that warms everything up and makes it sound more like a real amp. As soon as you put it in the loop, all the electronic buzz disappears and everything warms up.
# 10
Superhuman
Superhuman
01/15/2009 10:32 am
Beyond the distortion, EQ, preamp and speaker/cab itself the missing part in most chains for getting a top notch tone is a combination of noise supression and compression. Pedal combinations are a great way to learn how to get a good tone - easier than tweaking a multi processor but multi processors have every pedal imaginable plus a hell of a lot more although I think they are more suited to recording as most of the fancy effects are done post recording now anyway. The other nice thing about a good processor is you can record direct which cuts out all of the hassle of dealing with mics, changing room variables and the volume it takes to push a speaker/tubes to get a sweet tone (its almost impossible to go back the next day and get the same tone even with the mic and amp setup in exactly the same position).
Anyway, if you can afford it, try to get a good quality noise supressor too - Rocktron also make a Hush pedal but if you can pick up a second hand Super Hush C rack unit then go for it!
Re multi fx units, I've owned a lot, Podxt, Boss GT-Pro, Digitech GNX and a few stomp boxes. I traded them all in at one stage or another and now have the only unit I have ever been 100% satisfied with - Rocktron Prophesy II. They arent cheap but you can get the originla Prophesy handy enough on EBay and just upload the software upgrade to get the artists presets (Rusty Cooley, Dave Mustain etc). Best piece of gear I have ever owned, the only unit that preserves the guitars tone and feels like playing through a real amp when going direct to the board - pretty much all I ever use now.
Let us know how you get on with the pedal search and a review of the end unit would be cool too!
# 11
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/16/2009 12:11 am
Figured I'd add one final thing here. Even though I almost 99% use a Boss GT-8 to record with (with the Redbox Cabinetulator in the effects loop)... I still have the option of using AmpliTube X-Gear on the final recording. In fact in about 75% of the cases, I end up sacrificing the stereo GT-8 recording for a double tracked version ran through AmpliTube. Mostly just something like an AC-30 Amp with a 2 X 12 Cabinet simulation or whatever... but basically just whatever fits into the song's EQ.

I usually record all the other instruments first so the guitar has to fit into the space that's left over. That means sometimes recording the guitar part completely clean and then later running it through whatever effect or plug-in makes it blend in with the song.

With recording it's a total guessing game most of the time. You never know what the finished recording is going to sound like so unless you're in a band with a specific 'sound' that identifies you, you have to match the guitar tracks to whatever backing tracks you've come up with.
# 12
equator
equator
01/16/2009 1:08 am
Yeah, I have plenty of effects sources: Guitar Rig 3, riff works, GearBox, free ampSE 2.0, Drive stomp and hundreds of VST; plus my little amp has built-in effects.

I know when people think about effects, the last thing they think about is a compressor, because it’s not as cool as a whammy, wah, delay, etc.
But I’ve seeing the difference when I disengage the compressor on my multi-effects unit, Guitar Rig or GearBox. There is a big difference on the tone, plus my picking is somewhat aggressive and I need the compressor to keep the level in check and also for legato/tapping.

But, you are right Kevin, even with all the effects in the world; you are always going to end up using VST at some point of the recording process.
Thanks.

equator's Music Page.

# 13
equator
equator
01/16/2009 1:32 am
Take a look at FreeAmp 2.0

Picture

That is a really cool Plugin. :cool:

equator's Music Page.

# 14
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/16/2009 5:52 am
I gotta add .... I just got 3 plug-ins that are still blowing me away.
Ya havta search for em, but they consist of 3 virtual copies of the old Beatles studio equipment from Abbey Road circa 1960 .... RS135, 127 etc...They're the most simplest of plug-ins and kinda pricey, but they completely convey exactly why they were in use, so many years ago to accentuate certain tracks. I've done a lot of research into old Beatles recordings and the one thing that always evaded me was the 'boost' or 'accentuation' that can be heard on a lot all of their old albums.
As soon as I got these plug-ins, that 'sound' that was missing from all the old recordings was immediately evident.

The only missing element now is the live, "echo chamber" that is pretty much impossible to emulate.
# 15
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/16/2009 8:15 am
I also mostly use Amplitube when I record. I've also been using Waves GTR 3.0 and it isn't too bad.

I would go with the MXR Dynacomp but it's really a personal choice.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 16
Bryan Briggs
Bryan Briggs
01/27/2009 8:23 am
I've used the CS-3 with good luck, the CS-2 is even better but impossible to get a hold of.
# 17
Superhuman
Superhuman
01/27/2009 11:06 am
Originally Posted by: Kevin TaylorI gotta add .... I just got 3 plug-ins that are still blowing me away.
Ya havta search for em, but they consist of 3 virtual copies of the old Beatles studio equipment from Abbey Road circa 1960 .... RS135, 127 etc...They're the most simplest of plug-ins and kinda pricey, but they completely convey exactly why they were in use, so many years ago to accentuate certain tracks. I've done a lot of research into old Beatles recordings and the one thing that always evaded me was the 'boost' or 'accentuation' that can be heard on a lot all of their old albums.
As soon as I got these plug-ins, that 'sound' that was missing from all the old recordings was immediately evident.

The only missing element now is the live, "echo chamber" that is pretty much impossible to emulate.

Hey Kevin, you use Cubase 4 right? Just wondering if it comes with Steinberg's 'Magneto' plug-in (it's in the dynamics drop down in VST plugs). If you haven't tried it yet goive it a go, it allows you to push the gain without distorting recordings, making digital sound like analogue which seriously warms up recordings. Great for doing mini masters on a final mix down wav before burning to MP3.
# 18
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/27/2009 3:42 pm
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanHey Kevin, you use Cubase 4 right? Just wondering if it comes with Steinberg's 'Magneto' plug-in (it's in the dynamics drop down in VST plugs). If you haven't tried it yet goive it a go, it allows you to push the gain without distorting recordings, making digital sound like analogue which seriously warms up recordings. Great for doing mini masters on a final mix down wav before burning to MP3.

I used to use it on Cubase VST 5.1 but it wasn't included with Cubase 4 for some reason.
I've been using PSP Vintage Warmer in it's place although just on individual tracks like acoustic guitar or vocals.
# 19

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.