View post (Compressor pedal decision)

View thread

Superhuman
Superhuman
01/27/2009 11:06 am
Originally Posted by: Kevin TaylorI gotta add .... I just got 3 plug-ins that are still blowing me away.
Ya havta search for em, but they consist of 3 virtual copies of the old Beatles studio equipment from Abbey Road circa 1960 .... RS135, 127 etc...They're the most simplest of plug-ins and kinda pricey, but they completely convey exactly why they were in use, so many years ago to accentuate certain tracks. I've done a lot of research into old Beatles recordings and the one thing that always evaded me was the 'boost' or 'accentuation' that can be heard on a lot all of their old albums.
As soon as I got these plug-ins, that 'sound' that was missing from all the old recordings was immediately evident.

The only missing element now is the live, "echo chamber" that is pretty much impossible to emulate.

Hey Kevin, you use Cubase 4 right? Just wondering if it comes with Steinberg's 'Magneto' plug-in (it's in the dynamics drop down in VST plugs). If you haven't tried it yet goive it a go, it allows you to push the gain without distorting recordings, making digital sound like analogue which seriously warms up recordings. Great for doing mini masters on a final mix down wav before burning to MP3.