View post (Compressor pedal decision)

View thread

Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/16/2009 12:11 am
Figured I'd add one final thing here. Even though I almost 99% use a Boss GT-8 to record with (with the Redbox Cabinetulator in the effects loop)... I still have the option of using AmpliTube X-Gear on the final recording. In fact in about 75% of the cases, I end up sacrificing the stereo GT-8 recording for a double tracked version ran through AmpliTube. Mostly just something like an AC-30 Amp with a 2 X 12 Cabinet simulation or whatever... but basically just whatever fits into the song's EQ.

I usually record all the other instruments first so the guitar has to fit into the space that's left over. That means sometimes recording the guitar part completely clean and then later running it through whatever effect or plug-in makes it blend in with the song.

With recording it's a total guessing game most of the time. You never know what the finished recording is going to sound like so unless you're in a band with a specific 'sound' that identifies you, you have to match the guitar tracks to whatever backing tracks you've come up with.