Amps

Van Malmsteen
Van Malmsteen
05/01/2005 2:33 pm
Seems I've had so many different amps over the years, Marshall, Hiwatt, Mesa 50/50 (didn't last long, left channel went on the 2nd day), Ampeg, and so on. I guess it's just individual preference and what your looking for in an amp. But, there is one that seems to be one of my favorites. It's the one I keep coming back to through the years which is the Musicman HD-130. These are now vintage and you'll rarely see one anymore. Their kind of a moded Fender Hybrid. They have that crystal clear clean sound of a classic Fender and the other channel has great gain for lead and the rock sound.

just my 2 cents...
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
05/02/2005 12:01 am
[font=trebuchet ms]Why should the players always be the ones who have to buy the gear? Get the singer to buy a big PA - then all you need is a mic![/font] :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
05/02/2005 4:12 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraCan someone help me with my problem? :p

I heard that a 1960 Marshall Cab goes really well with the amp I have, but now i'm not so sure whether I should get one with all this talk of rhino's and stuff.

Advice? (For more information on my amp, see earlier post)
[font=trebuchet ms]Since your amp has transistor, not tube, output stage, you don't have the problem of needing to crank it to get it to sing. Get whatever cab(s) sound good, and if it's too loud, just turn it down.

The reason bands used two full stacks 'back in the day', is that there were no PA setups like the ones in use today. Each player had their own system, and the drummers had to rely on their own muscles in order to keep up! One amp was actually running, while the other was a backup. Nowadays, with mics on everything, and the kind of mixing desks that used to be found only in recording studios, there's no need for monster amps & stacks, or for drummers with baseball bat sticks.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 3
Ibanex420
Ibanex420
05/23/2005 10:50 pm
It's true you don't need a big amp to sound loud, and small amps cranked can give you big time distortion. I started with very small amp, then a twin twelve, but I finally settled on a 100w/4-12. Even though I probably never get passed three on my master volume, there's a big time "presence" with the big cabinet and bass response that just doesn't seem to be there with a small amp no matter how loud you crank it or mike it for that matter. For me, a three channel amp is a must!
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
05/24/2005 5:29 am
[font=trebuchet ms]I sold my pair of Garnet 412 cabs because there's nowhere I can actually use them. My Ampeg VT-22 has been sitting idle for so long that I'm looking into ways to modify it to run at lower power levels. At 120 Watts with efficient speakers, it's just too loud for any of the local clubs. And at 98 pounds, it's too frickin' heavy to drag around. My VT-40 is now a 1x15" combo with casters. And the Master Volume lets me get good sound at greatly reduced output.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.