Days when it all goes wrong

paddyz1
paddyz1
12/20/2008 12:11 pm
There are some days when I pick up my guitar and I am just rubbish. I can't get anything right and I want to throw the axe out of the window. I would have given up by now if it was not for the advice I got off a fellow workmate who plays and has a band.

His advice was simple 'You will pick up the guitar and play like a god most days. On the other days when it all goes wrong.....just put it down and come back later'.

That has helped me more than he knows. It was simple but effective.
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/20/2008 4:48 pm
Amen to that. There's been nights I've gone to do lessons and nothing works right. I'll just say to heck with it, shut everything down and go do something else. Next day, everything works great.
# 2
head_creeps
head_creeps
12/20/2008 9:47 pm
Really???? I've never had a day when I've played like a god!! DAMMIT!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

head_creeps
# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
12/21/2008 3:24 am
Originally Posted by: head_creepsReally???? I've never had a day when I've played like a god!! DAMMIT!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

head_creeps

It's kinda like sports where you get in 'the zone' and you're hands don't need as much direction from your head and it just flows out. When I practiced, I had a regimen wherein I would start out with very mechanical exercises, move to something I wanted to work on/been working on with technique or style, last I would just let it rip. That's fun. After being warmed up and working out some new stuff, it's like being primed up. I would have a total guitarwank fest. Every once in a while I would hit that zone where it all came together. Nothin' like it and is that key to the crack-like addiction guitar players have to the instrument. Skill mastery (and thus attention to your Guitar Tricks lessons...) will do that for you.

I wouldn't call myself a 'master' but there were times where I think I could see the neighborhood but only after dedicated time to building skill and ability. I think that's my point.
# 4
paddyz1
paddyz1
12/21/2008 1:34 pm
Originally Posted by: head_creepsReally???? I've never had a day when I've played like a god!! DAMMIT!!!

head_creeps

Figure of speech. I am crap really, just some days I am crappier than others :o

BUT ONE DAY I WILL PLAY LIKE A GOD

ONE DAY I TELL YOU; ONE DAY

HA HAA HA HAAAAAAA evil laugh and then I shall take over the world ;)
# 5
capitalalchemy
capitalalchemy
12/22/2008 5:53 pm
I think that its the opposite. Even on bad days I practice anyways. The key is consistency. As long as you're not hurting your hands you can keep practicing, except on a bad day I practice extremely slowly and do a lot of stretching before hand. If you can practice at mundane speeds for 30 to 60 minutes, you can get over the hurtle.

I've literally seen this make or break guitarists. I had a friend who didn't play when he "wasn't feelin' it" and his playing got progressively worse, to the point where he just quit all together, and he was a great guitarist.

He let himself get lazy. You always have to get your playing up to par of the previous day, so that you can continue or make progress. Even the best guitarists have to do this. Nobody just picks up a guitar and starts shredding. Sure, a lot of guitarists can do this right off the bat, but its generally not wise to do it - your hands are sensitive.

I use this analogy:

Its like going out and starting your car up on a cold winter's day, and then immediately taking your car out on the road, before letting it warm up. Anyone who has done this knows that the accelerator is not responsive, and that its hard to get past 50 miles and hour. After driving for several miles like this, the car kicks in, the hum of the engine changes and the accelerator is ready to go.

Your hands are just like this. You've got to warm up.

http://www.guitarticles.net
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.