ugly echo

enochthestrange
enochthestrange
11/13/2008 6:29 pm
i never really learned this o.o

how do i keep from making so much noise when i change strings? i know palm muting accuratley helps, but is there a different solution? like im playing a scale, and all the strings keep ringing and its ugly as hell
# 1
Gaelan_S
Gaelan_S
11/14/2008 3:43 pm
If you are new to playing, or don't play that often and haven't developed hardened fingertips, this echo you hear is likely the string sticking to your finger tips like it does with mine from time to time.

If the skin on your fingertips is soft, lkie mine usually is, it will wrap around the string when you fret and actually adhere slightly...hence causing you to inadvertently "pluck" the string when you change strings. This causes that unwanted and annoying resonance. The only suggestion I can make from experience is to play and toughen up your fingertips. Make sure your fingers are clean and dry as well. I find personally that damp/dirty fingers/finger tips are softer and tend to stick more.

Of course this is just my two cents based on my limited experience and observations when I am practicing. Hope something in this rambling is helpful :)

All the best!

G.
# 2
enochthestrange
enochthestrange
11/14/2008 5:07 pm
ah, i thought it was because i wasnt muting them constantly!

hmm well ill try that then i play on average about 4 hours a day, so i think my fingers are getting a little better
# 3
cirkustanz
cirkustanz
11/20/2008 4:29 am
My echo problem is different than yours. My low E string will ring a lot, even when it is not played. At first I thought it was my hand touching the string when I was practicing other chords, but even when I am sure it is not, some times the low E string will ring as if I had barely touched it.

I'm thinking something is wrong with my guitar and I am planning on bringing it to the shop where I purchased it later this week.
# 4
JeffS65
JeffS65
11/27/2008 9:15 pm
Originally Posted by: cirkustanzMy echo problem is different than yours. My low E string will ring a lot, even when it is not played. At first I thought it was my hand touching the string when I was practicing other chords, but even when I am sure it is not, some times the low E string will ring as if I had barely touched it.

I'm thinking something is wrong with my guitar and I am planning on bringing it to the shop where I purchased it later this week.

Sorry for the post resurrection but how close is your pick up to the strings?
# 5
Bryan Connolly
Bryan Connolly
12/05/2008 8:45 pm
Unless I'm hearing you wrong, that E string resonance is probably normal sympathetic vibration. The only way to combat this is to use your palm or the fleshy part of your thumb to mute the strings as you play. Play an E major scale up the high E string and I just about guarantee you'll have the E and A strings ringing out without even touching them.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.