October backing track

Superhuman
Superhuman
10/06/2008 8:45 am
Big apology to all for the delay in getting this months backing track together - my baby daughter was sick this past week so it was very hard to get into the studio to lay it down. Anyway, I have it completed now but my internet connection at home is down for some reason - line being fixed this morning so I'll have it up this evening. Sorry for the delay!
# 1
Superhuman
Superhuman
10/07/2008 9:53 am
Ok guys, big delay this month - all my fault.
Without further ado, I give to you...

EDIT - new updated version here in this post

On MP3Unsigned (GT October Assignment)
http://mp3unsigned.com/showmp3.asp?mp3ID=56296
Edit: This is the 320kbps version now with the updated drums and basic mix/ compression/master.

I'll let more knowledgable members expound on the theory side of things, no ideas of what scales/keys to use. Any other questions on the track let me know.

Recording details: For anyone interested, there are two guitar tracks, one hard panned to each side with bass in the middle. Drums are EZdrummer, guitars are an Ibanez Universe with Evolution & pups through Rocktron Prophesy II, Bass is a Washburn BB5 through a Sansamp DI bass driver. Mix and EQ done in Cubase SX3.
Track is recorded at 185bpm in 4/4 time. Guitars are a little rough, not quite as tight as I would like. May update again if I get a chance...
# 2
equator
equator
10/07/2008 10:10 pm
We have a super backing track. :D
I’m going to listen to it a few times but I’m not going to record anything until the 320Kbps MP3 is available.

Thanks Dave for the BT. :cool:
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 3
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
10/08/2008 5:42 am
I'll second that - thanks for the work! Although I guess with your new 'toys' it's not work at all! :D

Hope the young 'un is feeling better too.
Can you play "Far Far Away?"

Yes - how far would you like?
# 4
Superhuman
Superhuman
10/08/2008 5:07 pm
Ok guys, updated version in the link at the beginning of the thread - just back up to the second poost and downoad it from mp3unsigned.com
Light, you can download a 320kbps version from that link for your server. Look forward to hearing what you guys come up with!
Cheers,
D
# 5
equator
equator
10/09/2008 7:44 pm
The key of the backing track is E minor.

I listened to it today; but, I’m having a hard time coming up with a theme so far. :confused: :confused: :confused:

equator's Music Page.

# 6
equator
equator
10/14/2008 2:30 pm
Hey Dave.
I heard the new mix of your backing track. Sounds great.

Could you email me the 320kbps MP3 or even the (CPR) Cubase Project file?
I can upload it to my server during the whole month and give people the direct link for downloading.

My address should be in your Private Messages. :cool:

equator's Music Page.

# 7
Superhuman
Superhuman
10/14/2008 4:01 pm
Sure I can send you the cpr file if you want to upload it into Cubase, it has the general track EQbut there is also a Pultec compressor plug-in there and Steinberg's Magnetto to warm things up and push a mild limiter. The mp3 thats there in the link is actually a 320 version at the highest resolution. i could send you the wav file if you want with or without the plug-ins? Let me know.
Dave
# 8
equator
equator
10/14/2008 5:03 pm
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanSure I can send you the cpr file if you want to upload it into Cubase, it has the general track EQbut there is also a Pultec compressor plug-in there and Steinberg's Magnetto to warm things up and push a mild limiter. The mp3 thats there in the link is actually a 320 version at the highest resolution. i could send you the wav file if you want with or without the plug-ins? Let me know.
Dave

Ok I got the MP3 now.
Didn’t know that I could download it even if I’m not a mp3unsinged member. :o

Have you recorded anything over that backing track yet, Superhuman?

equator's Music Page.

# 9
Superhuman
Superhuman
10/15/2008 8:19 am
Yeah, I started tinkering with it the other day - I don't know what key its in but I'm pretty sure it changes over one or two of the riffs. I've got some interesting exotic lines floating through my head and lots of mode changes to change the character of the solo. Still nothing concrete, I usually try to work it out in my head first before working it out on the fretboard. How you getting on now that you've had a bit of time to get used to it? Hope it's working out!
# 10
equator
equator
10/15/2008 2:53 pm
Ok guys, I analyzed the song a little today. Here is what I have concluded:
As far as I can tell; the two first chords are E Dominant 7 and Dmaj.

So; basically the key is A major. But Superhuman is starting on the fifth degree of the scale; thus, establishing an E Mixolydian tonality.
I personally favor two scales over those two chords:
E Dominant Pentatonic [E - F# - G# - B - D]
E Mixolydian [ E - F# - G# - A - B - C# - D]

There is a modulation at the third chord. Superhuman is modulating to the key of A# major, and then returning.
The same modulation appears several times throughout the song.

Thankfully the modulation is long enough that you can try different scales over the A# major chord.
I really like the sound of this Mode:
E Prometheus Neopolitan 4th Mode [ A# - C# - D - E - F - G#]

Have fun guys. :cool:

equator's Music Page.

# 11
Superhuman
Superhuman
10/22/2008 11:58 am
Pretty quiet thread this month, hope its not the backing track causing people trouble! I am approaching this one quite differently than my usual way - mostly due to a very long break from playing (about 5 months without any gutiar). I divided the track up into a series of completely different and independent parts of lead (each part being a single take with a different theme/tone & style).
This makes things a lot easier as you can focus on a short stand alone solo over each of the different riffs. For example, my opening solo uses the whammy bar and wah pedal over a small number of notes - uncomplicated but very unusual, the next solo is much faster and very 'outside' using some kind of diminished scale with lots of chromatics - this one was jammed off the cuff but came out nicely, the next is a more structured and simple followed by a standout solo that uses a big wah sound and huge tone, followed again by another jammed shred part and ending with a simple hook back to the intro. I tried to play a straight solo right through from start to finish but just couldn't come up with any solid ideas that kept me interested.
Anyway, just incase anyone else is finding this a little tough, you could try dividing it up like I did - hope that helps.

PS Thanks for the breakdown of the scales Equator - sounds impressive!
# 12
equator
equator
10/22/2008 12:23 pm
I’ve been really busy these past days, but I did managed to record two parts.
First part is an opening theme, it is not fast at all, but it does explore the E Prometheus Neopolitan 4th Mode.
Second part is a tapped section combining different modes. This one is faster.

I have a few ideas for the rest of the solo; I hope to record them soon. :)

equator's Music Page.

# 13
Superhuman
Superhuman
10/23/2008 1:39 am
Ok guys, here's my take (might change it a bit before the end). It's the first track I've recorded and the first time I've played for 5 months. The break really helped me to lose some bad habits and add a twist to my direction. I'm pretty happy with this one so far. I used a Dean MAB-1 and an Ibanez Universe for the lead parts through the same patch in a Rocktron Prophesy II, I also used a CryBaby wah on some parts - don't usually go big on the effects but I think the delay works well here. Hope you like it.

On Mp3Unsigned
http://mp3unsigned.com/showmp3.asp?mp3ID=56080

On Soundclick
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=7003822&q=hi
# 14
equator
equator
10/27/2008 3:00 pm
Superhuman, your solo rocks, man.
Loved your exotic phrases and the wah pedal work.

I just finished my take and I will be putting the link up in about 15min.
Once again thanks for the BT, man. :cool:

equator's Music Page.

# 15
equator
equator
10/27/2008 3:31 pm
Ok guys here is my take.
The song is constructed of separate solos.
Two different guitar tones give you the idea of two players exchanging licks :cool:

Tone 1. Wah pedal and Compressor.
Tone 2. Compressor, a touch of Chorus, delay and Reverb.

I titled the song “The False Paradigm”

Right click and save as…

equator

Thanks for listening. :)

equator's Music Page.

# 16
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
10/27/2008 8:20 pm
Heyas

I've tried to play a solo for this one about 3 or 4 times since it was put up. I just can't seem to get into the right head-space to do anything with it. I can sort of hear what I want to accomplish but can't get "there" to do it.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 17
Superhuman
Superhuman
10/29/2008 2:15 pm
Equator, I took a download but havent had a chance to listen to it yet - will be in my studio tonight so I'll post some feedback then. I found this an easy one to do, probably becuase I did the backing though. I hope it didn't scare people away, I tried to keep it simple (although I admit the modulation in the opening riff was a little tough to work with)... not too many posts this month looks like there won't be many submissions... still though, I had fun doing mine:-)

Hoping to hear from Maestro Shaz and Spedzar too!
# 18
Superhuman
Superhuman
10/29/2008 10:06 pm
Originally Posted by: equatorOk guys here is my take.
The song is constructed of separate solos.
Two different guitar tones give you the idea of two players exchanging licks :cool:

Tone 1. Wah pedal and Compressor.
Tone 2. Compressor, a touch of Chorus, delay and Reverb.

I titled the song “The False Paradigm”

Right click and save as…

equator

Thanks for listening. :)

Equator, real unusual exotic scale you are using there - sounds nice - love those arps. Will comment in more depth at the end of the month. One thing though, the lead seems a bit too loud as do the vocal samples. Try bringing the guitars back a tad and rather than reverb, try a brief experiment with the Cubase stock double delay vst - I reckon it could work really well here. A bit of delay on the vocals too and some reverb would give them a more produced sound. Unusual take man but it sounds good!
# 19
equator
equator
10/30/2008 5:05 pm
Thanks Dave for the advice.
Here are the changes I did:

1. I raised the level of the backing track.
2. Added “Analog Delay” to the lead guitars.
3. Added “Vocal Exciter Delay” and “Small Room Reverb” to the vocal samples.

Here is the new link:
Right click and save as…

equator

equator's Music Page.

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.