October backing track

mpaq
mpaq
10/31/2008 6:21 pm
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanEquator, I took a download but havent had a chance to listen to it yet - will be in my studio tonight so I'll post some feedback then. I found this an easy one to do, probably becuase I did the backing though. I hope it didn't scare people away, I tried to keep it simple (although I admit the modulation in the opening riff was a little tough to work with)... not too many posts this month looks like there won't be many submissions... still though, I had fun doing mine:-)

Hoping to hear from Maestro Shaz and Spedzar too!

I havent gone AWOL on this thread, i do check back to listen to other peoples stuff, i just dont feel ive progressed to the point where i can do anything substantial with a track of this tempo. But that doesnt mean i cant at least get ideas and learn from other submissions....
Maybe im back in for November depending on the track :)
# 1
equator
equator
10/31/2008 6:34 pm
Hey Mpaq, good to know you’re still around. :)
Hope you can participate next month.
Always enjoy listening to your music.
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 2
mpaq
mpaq
10/31/2008 7:46 pm
Originally Posted by: equatorHey Mpaq, good to know you’re still around. :)
Hope you can participate next month.
Always enjoy listening to your music.

thanks buddy, looking forward to it.....especially with my new VooDu Valve preamp!
# 3
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
10/31/2008 8:39 pm
This smacks of desperation... like a few others I had real trouble with this. Not the BT's fault, my limitations! The BT is excellent...

Anyway after many attempts I finally just plugged in, played one take and then attacked it with a VST effects plugin ( Artillery, from the Computer Music magazine cover disk ) which serves to hide the fumbles and hesitations... :rolleyes: There's no form or structure, by this time I wasn't thinking of anything in particular.

There's 2 versions, ( like you NEED 2 of these! ) the first was mixed using a regular hi-fi with big bass units, when I listened to it using 'phones the guitar was way too loud so the second version is mixed down a bit.

WrigglerUk ( Ocktyfex )
WrigglerUk ( Ocktyfex One )
Superhumans take, needless to say, fitted the track almost perfectly.
Equator, that was truly whacky! Very inventive, the second version is much better. I really did do a double take when the monologue started. It went on a bit though, and found myself not noticing the guitar so much.
Can you play "Far Far Away?"

Yes - how far would you like?
# 4
Superhuman
Superhuman
10/31/2008 10:20 pm
Hey dude that was well worth submitting, seriously - some very nice ideas in there. It followed the backing very well and I love that effect, never used anything like that before. Were you using the same scale that Equator mentioned at the beginning, don't know what I used but there were elements of whatever myself and Equator used in your take - no idea what the scale was. I just used my ear so don't ask me but yours had a very nice jam feel to it. Listen to it a few times and you might come up with some more ideas that you can drop in to give it some more structure. Good job though - as I said, well worth posting!
# 5
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
11/01/2008 10:20 am
Thanks for the appraisal, appreciated! According to Chordhouse, the main scale I used was the E Octatonic... it seemed to have lots of notes, so the chances of 'missing' were reduced! I guess it also had a few notes that shouldn't have been used... :o I also went into E minor here and there, but I wasn't conciously doing that, just whatever sounded OK.

# 6
equator
equator
11/01/2008 7:30 pm
Ok guys.
This is my final mix and my official entry.
I thought that the overall volume level of the track was too loud; so I brought the volume down.

I’ve heard songs that use voice samples before, but I always found the backing to be too loud and distracting, that’s why I gave priority to the vocal samples in the mix.
Nevertheless, I cut the volume of the vocal samples a bit, following your suggestions.

Here is the link and as always thanks for your input and taking the time to listen to my stuff. :)

Right click and Save as…

equator

Thanks.

equator's Music Page.

# 7
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
11/02/2008 10:16 am
That's so much better - the tone contrasts well with the track, the playing is fluid and that scale goes beautifully with the backing. Great work.

I'm out of circulation for a while, working in Geneva for a time. I'll pop in though to see what next month brings! :)

# 8
equator
equator
11/02/2008 4:15 pm
Thanks WrigglerUk.

Definitely, your second mix is better than the first.
Your choice of notes goes well with the backing track.
As Superhuman said, you have plenty of good ideas going on there.
Thanks for sharing. :)

equator's Music Page.

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.