mikespi8
mikespi8
10/09/2008 11:01 pm
Just kidding.
Rock on!
Originally Posted by: hunter60
Birth of the Blues: Johnny Winter
By Hunter60

After a four-year hiatus, Winter returned to recording with three releases for Chicago's Alligator label with "Guitar Slinger" garnering him another Grammy nod. Despite musical trends, Winter has remained a true blues man, forgoing his occasional stints into rock and roll. He has never really regained his foothold as a major guitarist that he had in the late Sixties and Seventies, at least commercially, but critically, he remains a name that is often mentioned when people list influential guitarists.

The Nineties were noted with a continual touring schedule (as long as his health would allow) with occasional releases. As his career progressed, several of the labels that he has recorded with have released several compendiums of his work, mining demos and his pre-success period as well as repackaging practically his entire catalogue. In 2004, he released "I'm a Bluesman", his first release of new material in eight years.

In "History of the Blues", author Francis Davis writes of Winter " ā€¦ Johnny Winter and John Mayall have stuck with the blues through thick and thin. If someone happens to announce a blues revival and that brings people through the doors, so much the better. But these performers are in for the long haul, blues revival or no. They've long since paid all dues required of them."

It seems to me that blues is as much about living them as well as playing them. Johnny Winters career is near perfect example of that.

# 1
blacklabpupp
blacklabpupp
10/10/2008 11:02 pm
Sorry to hear of the illness, but I never really liked to hear hiim play. Dont get your self all balled up in a wad. But some styles of blues are not which I listen to. All the best.
# 2
garygreen
garygreen
10/13/2008 5:49 pm
Johnny Winter is the real deal and a great guitarist.
# 3
sidvic4580
sidvic4580
10/14/2008 3:04 pm
I saw both Johnny and brother Edgar many times. Each experience was as moving as the last with these blues geniuses.
# 4
charliemusician
charliemusician
10/14/2008 7:10 pm
especially the explorer
charlie
# 5
maxemillian
maxemillian
10/17/2008 8:02 pm
Highway 61 all the way!!!
# 6
switchgyrl
switchgyrl
10/19/2008 4:18 am
muddy & johnny, ohhh yeahhh! :cool:
# 7
ibjdiddy
ibjdiddy
10/29/2008 3:15 pm
Thanks for the great music that you continue to give. Bless You.

:mad:
Originally Posted by: hunter60
Birth of the Blues: Johnny Winter
By Hunter60

After a four-year hiatus, Winter returned to recording with three releases for Chicago's Alligator label with "Guitar Slinger" garnering him another Grammy nod. Despite musical trends, Winter has remained a true blues man, forgoing his occasional stints into rock and roll. He has never really regained his foothold as a major guitarist that he had in the late Sixties and Seventies, at least commercially, but critically, he remains a name that is often mentioned when people list influential guitarists.

The Nineties were noted with a continual touring schedule (as long as his health would allow) with occasional releases. As his career progressed, several of the labels that he has recorded with have released several compendiums of his work, mining demos and his pre-success period as well as repackaging practically his entire catalogue. In 2004, he released "I'm a Bluesman", his first release of new material in eight years.

In "History of the Blues", author Francis Davis writes of Winter " ā€¦ Johnny Winter and John Mayall have stuck with the blues through thick and thin. If someone happens to announce a blues revival and that brings people through the doors, so much the better. But these performers are in for the long haul, blues revival or no. They've long since paid all dues required of them."

It seems to me that blues is as much about living them as well as playing them. Johnny Winters career is near perfect example of that.

# 8
cleve christie
cleve christie
11/12/2008 1:19 pm
His live album from the 70's just kicked my butt back then.
# 9
guestoliving
guestoliving
07/27/2023 6:53 am

Honestly, I am unaware of the above person or the story. but it's great that he has been with the blu's through all of that time.

#Inspiring.

edited
# 90
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
07/27/2023 3:41 pm
#90 Originally Posted by: guestoliving

Honestly, I am unaware of the above person or the story. but it's great that he has been with the blu's through all of that time.

#Inspiring.

I have a guitar that Johnny Winter noodled with backstage at a Missoula concert.  It's nice to know his DNA is on the fretboard.

Winter passed nine years ago this month.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 91
guestoliving
guestoliving
08/05/2023 10:20 am

Wow, that seems interesting.

# 92

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.