GT Solo Assignment - August 2008

light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
08/16/2008 4:29 am
Hey people.. well this kind of fizzled out over the Summer break (and winter for me). Just that time of year I suppose. Anyway, I thought I'd throw up a backing track (yeah I know it's mid-month) and see if we can get things rolling again.

This is something I whipped up today, which I will be using for piece I am working on. It's just the basic verse section looped over for about 2 minutes or so. The chords are D E G D.. so guess what key it is in? That's right.. D! It has a very upbeat bluesy feel to it.. so D Major and B minor pentatonic scales work very well.

You can get the file here:
Right Click and Save As...
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 1
Psaltery
Psaltery
08/18/2008 6:05 am
Hey all,
An interesting track to play over. It's got that classic bluesy rock feel that I love so well :) So I broke out the Cry Baby and had some fun. You can hear it here:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=865182&content=music

Sorry about using soundclick but I am trying to get my own site up and running.

Have fun and lets get some more solos posted.
# 2
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
08/18/2008 12:03 pm
Now that I am home from work I can have a listen.. :)

Wow.. completely unexpected shred. Since I have been playing my more subdued version over the top of it for the last day or two, I wasn't expecting it to have a shred feel to it. I like it a lot though, Psaltery! :) Has a very Guns'n'Roses feel to it. :)

I'm thinking of setting up a little upload place for the solo assignments and hosting them on my webserver, then I can have archives of them all online so people can search through them by month/year and artist. I haven't done anything like that before, so it might be a while before it goes live but essentially it would allow me to stream the MP3's, like SoundClick does, but at the original file's bitrate. The limitations SoundClick imposes is essential because they have so many users uploading stuff but if it is just for GT Solo assignments, I can afford to dedicate 10 or even 20 gigabytes to the solos.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 3
Spedzar
Spedzar
08/19/2008 1:36 pm
Originally Posted by: light487Hey people.. well this kind of fizzled out over the Summer break (and winter for me). Just that time of year I suppose. Anyway, I thought I'd throw up a backing track (yeah I know it's mid-month) and see if we can get things rolling again.

This is something I whipped up today, which I will be using for piece I am working on. It's just the basic verse section looped over for about 2 minutes or so. The chords are D E G D.. so guess what key it is in? That's right.. D! It has a very upbeat bluesy feel to it.. so D Major and B minor pentatonic scales work very well.

You can get the file here:

Geez, what's happened to the monthly assignment threads? Anyone would think the Tour de France and the Olympics were on or something ;) July seemed to dissappear into the ether but there were a couple of thousand hits on the thread and only a paltry handful of solos... :confused:

I am wondering what actually motivates people to contribute to these backing tracks...???

1) A need for honest feedback, opinions, suggestions and constructive criticism about one's playing ability, sound, compositional skills, versatility and personal progress from a community of like-minded and open-minded fellow guitarists, in order to facilitate further learning, development and improvement in these areas (I guess this might be a main motivating factor for most people on a site like GT)...

2) A need for one's ego to be massaged - for those whose desire it is to have people observe and recognise them by telling them how amazing their playing is... Or perhaps even be discovered by some A & R people or famous act looking to recruit a major talent... :rolleyes:

3) A need for one's ego to be massaged - for those whose desire it is to appear to be the ones whose critiques are the most "knowledgeable", "self-righteous" and technically jargonistic in the sense that they really seem to know what they are talking about when picking someone's performance to pieces... ;)

4) A desire to contribute to someone's development on the instrument or in a compositional sense - by giving insightful and constructive suggestion.

5) A genuine interest in developing an original work by adding the finishing touches to a pre-prepared canvas - a need to actually play something to express one's art - a desire to post it here for the pure fun and enjoyment of having been a part of it and to have added something unique to a backing track.

6) For those who revel in the challenge of trying to get their heads, ears and hands around different styles of soloing.

7) Perhaps it's a convenient way to be involved as a guitarist if you aren't a member of an actual band.

8) For the social butterfly that just wants a friend or 20 in the guitar realm.

9) For the genuine interest in listening to the diversity on offer in other people's guitaristic expression.

10) A combination of the above...

I'm sure there are a hundred other possible reasons...

Anyway this is just something to make people think about why they do this. For me, personally, I know why I do it (actually for many reasons) - and I guess ego is definitely a part of it because I'm kind of dissapointed when people don't put in the effort to make this whole thing more interactive for me personally and other individuals that post solos. Especially when so many people actually view this thread each month.

Anyway - just thought I'd get on my soapbox about it. I think this month I'm relegating myself to purely No. 9 and will join the many invisable members of the throng ;)
Spedzar - "the sound of one hand tapping"...
# 4
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
08/19/2008 8:18 pm
Psaltery - way cool! That fitted the manic drumming perfectly, well controlled and some really cool cliche licks! Excellent.

Spedzar - You missed the main reason I sometimes have a go - purely for fun! Yes, I sometimes like the challenge of trying something different, but I play for the enjoyment of the moment and not really 'to get better' or develop technically, way too late for that! :) Hence I pick and choose, if I'm not having fun with a track I dont bother. Also, since I lack the technical skills of the people I call 'musicians' rather than 'players', I dont always comment on other peoples takes. If I haven't something constructive to say I leave it, I'm not being anti-social, and I do listen to the music. Other people are better qualified to give criticism. Hey ho, end of soliloquy.

Light - Ta for the track. Those drum fills are a bit OTT though, specially for my pedestrian skills! Lessee what happens... ;)
Can you play "Far Far Away?"

Yes - how far would you like?
# 5
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
08/19/2008 8:25 pm
Haha yeh.. I just grabbed random fills and threw them in. :D As the music went on, I added more and more crazy fills. I left it that way because it was fun.. hehe.. :)

Oh yeh and in response to Spedzar.. I play the solos usually because they are a challenge but also because I simply enjoy playing and think, without trying to be egotistical or big-headed, that I have something to share that is valuable. I'm not saying it's brilliant or the best guitar playing in the world but it's valuable.

I also like to kid myself (day dream) that one day, one of my heroes will hear my playing and ask me to either play with them, or use my ideas/song.. haha.. doubtful.. but it's a dream.. :)

Incidentally.. I dreamt this backing track the night before I recorded it. :)
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 6
mpaq
mpaq
08/21/2008 3:26 am
[QUOTE=Spedzar]

I am wondering what actually motivates people to contribute to these backing tracks...???

1) A need for honest feedback, opinions, suggestions and constructive criticism about one's playing ability, sound, compositional skills, versatility and personal progress from a community of like-minded and open-minded fellow guitarists, in order to facilitate further learning, development and improvement in these areas (I guess this might be a main motivating factor for most people on a site like GT)...
QUOTE]

Hi Spedzar,
For me its #1 on your list above, but for sure I would agree that ego plays a role in any type of self expression.

Feedback helps me to stay focused and motivated. Practicing can get very frustrating at times and its great to get a few words of encouragement during those times when you're thinking "who the hell am I trying to kid, I''ll never be really good at this"....and conversely when you listen to your track so many times, no matter how bad it is is will start to sound good to you since at that point you've lost all objectivity, so the negative/constructive feedback helps bring you back down to earth.
I've been at this for about 8 months now, so I think im past the "phase" period and in this for the long haul.....but yea as far as ego goes, i'll admit its nice to hear the occasional reassurance that I dont suck :)
# 7
mpaq
mpaq
08/21/2008 3:40 am
Originally Posted by: PsalteryHey all,
An interesting track to play over. It's got that classic bluesy rock feel that I love so well :) So I broke out the Cry Baby and had some fun. You can hear it here:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=865182&content=music

Sorry about using soundclick but I am trying to get my own site up and running.

Have fun and lets get some more solos posted.

Man, when you break out the cry baby you dont fool around!! I agree with Light, re: the Slash influence there but you know what, it totally works on that backing track. Or should i say you made it work with such good control of the wah. Great job, really enjoyed it.
# 8
Spedzar
Spedzar
08/21/2008 10:27 am
Originally Posted by: mpaq[QUOTE=Spedzar]

QUOTE]

Hi Spedzar,
For me its #1 on your list above, but for sure I would agree that ego plays a role in any type of self expression.

Feedback helps me to stay focused and motivated. Practicing can get very frustrating at times and its great to get a few words of encouragement during those times when you're thinking "who the hell am I trying to kid, I''ll never be really good at this"....and conversely when you listen to your track so many times, no matter how bad it is is will start to sound good to you since at that point you've lost all objectivity, so the negative/constructive feedback helps bring you back down to earth.
I've been at this for about 8 months now, so I think im past the "phase" period and in this for the long haul.....but yea as far as ego goes, i'll admit its nice to hear the occasional reassurance that I dont suck :)

Haha well don't worry coz I've heard your playing and you certainly don't suck ;) and it's a very honest and interesting comment you make about listening to your own stuff and losing objectivity - it's like when your partner or family members end up getting exposed to what you do, they start listening to your playing and after constant high rotation from being so close to it the stuff becomes ingrained and they go "wow that's so unbelievably cool" and then you post it on here and someone goes "well maybe it could use some salt" or Maestro Shaz or Superhuman shreds a few lines to the same BT and you think "hmm, maybe I'm not actually as good as I think"...

I can't admit to being overly serious about the BT posts - I usually throw my stuff together very quickly with little thought and tend not to tidy things up. I think I'm actually just amusing myself a bit and I'm interested to hear other people's perspectives. I just wish guys like Frank Axtell and ToneZappa would occasionally post some solos to these BTs coz that would be very interesting indeed.
# 9
Spedzar
Spedzar
08/21/2008 10:45 am
Originally Posted by: WrigglerUkPsaltery - way cool! That fitted the manic drumming perfectly, well controlled and some really cool cliche licks! Excellent.

Spedzar - You missed the main reason I sometimes have a go - purely for fun! Yes, I sometimes like the challenge of trying something different, but I play for the enjoyment of the moment and not really 'to get better' or develop technically, way too late for that! :) Hence I pick and choose, if I'm not having fun with a track I dont bother. Also, since I lack the technical skills of the people I call 'musicians' rather than 'players', I dont always comment on other peoples takes. If I haven't something constructive to say I leave it, I'm not being anti-social, and I do listen to the music. Other people are better qualified to give criticism. Hey ho, end of soliloquy.

Light - Ta for the track. Those drum fills are a bit OTT though, specially for my pedestrian skills! Lessee what happens... ;)

Ah yes the fun factor - I just think that almost goes without saying but you have certainly hit the nail on the head there. I love playing and the most enjoyable times for me are when I lose all sense of time. I had a jam a couple of weeks ago with a really good friend of mine who is a very experienced and proficient drummer and it was just the two of us (I was blending guitar synth with regular guitar to make it more interesting) and we ended up going for over 80 minutes non-stop with this one big long constantly morphing creation full of improvised beats, hooks and solos. When we had finished we just looked at each other absolutely dumbfounded - both with massive ear-to-ear grins and on this total natural high where we couldn't explain what had just happened.

I don't quite get the same buzz from GT BTs :rolleyes: however it's definitely still fun - would we otherwise bother?

But keep it up Wriggler - I enjoy having a listen to your contributions and it's cool to have people regularly keeping this thing alive. :)
# 10
Superhuman
Superhuman
08/21/2008 10:53 am

For me it is genuinely to be able to put something reasonably advanced together over a backing track that I don't have to worry about and be able to hear the different takes that other players have on the same piece of music. Sometimes I hear a phrase or part on one of the other takes and think "wow that works really well" - I find the thread helps to get new ideas and viewpoints in terms of how others see the same piece of music. That plus it's nice when you get positive feedback but equally important when I hear negatives - I still play what I want to hear but sometimes you realise something is off when a fresh set of ears hear it and leaves detailed comments. If I don't like the backing track or it doesnt inspire me then I don't bother recording anything.

Anyway, I havent been able to play any of my guitars for about the past 15 weeks becuase of a big job in my house. Moved back in over a week ago and it still won't be finished untill next week. The work included a sound treated recording studio in the attic so I will be back with a vengeance once the damn contractors get the hell out of my house!
# 11
Spedzar
Spedzar
08/21/2008 1:10 pm
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanThe work included a sound treated recording studio in the attic so I will be back with a vengeance once the damn contractors get the hell out of my house!

Ahhh, I envy you Dave - I'll have to wait until next year to get my studio/garage properly decked-out (finances permitting). You must be itching to make some noise? Just don't bring the house down with that metal madness... ;)
# 12
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
08/23/2008 10:09 am
Hehe.. I wouldn't mind turning my spare room into a decent recording studio.. but hey.. I just don't have the time or the money to do something like that at the moment. I'll just keep using it as a storage room for all my music stuff.. hehe..

I've got a rough take on my solo here, I am still working on ironing out all the kinks but since there's not that many submissions yet, I thought I'd throw this up for now.

light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 13
Psaltery
Psaltery
08/24/2008 8:52 am
Hey All,

Thanks for the comments.

I really had fun with this one.

Nice to hear another post light487 (even if it's still a "rough take") sounds good.

I must agree with WrigglerUK about the drum tracks being somewhat OTT, but that is kinda what set the mood for my solo. :D

Cudos to light487!

I am looking forward to more posts because I have listened to some of your guys' playing, and there is many talented players on GT.
# 14
longbraid
longbraid
08/26/2008 7:03 am
no one knows me, my name is michael, and i never seem to have enough time. my playing is rusty, and i lack the skills and resources to record effectively for this, but i dream about it. listening to everyone inspires me to make more time and try new things. i hear you guys do things that i could never do. andas right now, i just need the mood listening to your posts, puts me in. i hope it never goes away, as it means alot to me as it is. thx to all for posting. God bless.
# 15
Julian Vickers
Julian Vickers
08/26/2008 11:51 am
Hey guys, you want a backing track for next month?

I got a couple of good ones sitting around
Miracle Blade 4: Gibs on touch.
# 16
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
08/26/2008 12:09 pm
Originally Posted by: Julian VickersHey guys, you want a backing track for next month?

I got a couple of good ones sitting around

Sure.. I still play over that Jazz one you did back in 2007.. :) I think it was the October one.. :) You going to submit a solo for this month?
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 17
equator
equator
08/26/2008 2:58 pm
Ok guys, here is my goofy take.
I recorded it last night and did the mixing this morning.
I just played whatever came to my head without thinking in a solo structure or anything.

Like I said, it is just a goofy solo and I decided to title it “The Clown” :D

Right click and save as...
equator

Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 18
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
08/26/2008 4:47 pm
First draft... maybe the only draft... Found myself repeatedly playing the outro riff from Layla, so just worked it in. It's way too trebly and badly phrased etc. so I'll maybe come back to it.

WrigglerUk

Psaltery - there are indeed many talented players here. This aint one of them!
Can you play "Far Far Away?"

Yes - how far would you like?
# 19
Julian Vickers
Julian Vickers
08/26/2008 9:55 pm
Originally Posted by: light487Sure.. I still play over that Jazz one you did back in 2007.. :) I think it was the October one.. :) You going to submit a solo for this month?

Cool man you want me to email you the tracks? Pm me your addy or something
Miracle Blade 4: Gibs on touch.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.