View post (GT Solo Assignment - August 2008)

View thread

mpaq
mpaq
08/21/2008 3:26 am
[QUOTE=Spedzar]

I am wondering what actually motivates people to contribute to these backing tracks...???

1) A need for honest feedback, opinions, suggestions and constructive criticism about one's playing ability, sound, compositional skills, versatility and personal progress from a community of like-minded and open-minded fellow guitarists, in order to facilitate further learning, development and improvement in these areas (I guess this might be a main motivating factor for most people on a site like GT)...
QUOTE]

Hi Spedzar,
For me its #1 on your list above, but for sure I would agree that ego plays a role in any type of self expression.

Feedback helps me to stay focused and motivated. Practicing can get very frustrating at times and its great to get a few words of encouragement during those times when you're thinking "who the hell am I trying to kid, I''ll never be really good at this"....and conversely when you listen to your track so many times, no matter how bad it is is will start to sound good to you since at that point you've lost all objectivity, so the negative/constructive feedback helps bring you back down to earth.
I've been at this for about 8 months now, so I think im past the "phase" period and in this for the long haul.....but yea as far as ego goes, i'll admit its nice to hear the occasional reassurance that I dont suck :)