View post (GT Solo Assignment - August 2008)

View thread

Spedzar
Spedzar
08/21/2008 10:45 am
Originally Posted by: WrigglerUkPsaltery - way cool! That fitted the manic drumming perfectly, well controlled and some really cool cliche licks! Excellent.

Spedzar - You missed the main reason I sometimes have a go - purely for fun! Yes, I sometimes like the challenge of trying something different, but I play for the enjoyment of the moment and not really 'to get better' or develop technically, way too late for that! :) Hence I pick and choose, if I'm not having fun with a track I dont bother. Also, since I lack the technical skills of the people I call 'musicians' rather than 'players', I dont always comment on other peoples takes. If I haven't something constructive to say I leave it, I'm not being anti-social, and I do listen to the music. Other people are better qualified to give criticism. Hey ho, end of soliloquy.

Light - Ta for the track. Those drum fills are a bit OTT though, specially for my pedestrian skills! Lessee what happens... ;)

Ah yes the fun factor - I just think that almost goes without saying but you have certainly hit the nail on the head there. I love playing and the most enjoyable times for me are when I lose all sense of time. I had a jam a couple of weeks ago with a really good friend of mine who is a very experienced and proficient drummer and it was just the two of us (I was blending guitar synth with regular guitar to make it more interesting) and we ended up going for over 80 minutes non-stop with this one big long constantly morphing creation full of improvised beats, hooks and solos. When we had finished we just looked at each other absolutely dumbfounded - both with massive ear-to-ear grins and on this total natural high where we couldn't explain what had just happened.

I don't quite get the same buzz from GT BTs :rolleyes: however it's definitely still fun - would we otherwise bother?

But keep it up Wriggler - I enjoy having a listen to your contributions and it's cool to have people regularly keeping this thing alive. :)
Spedzar - "the sound of one hand tapping"...