are middle-easterners generally looked down upon these days?

nathanael hale
nathanael hale
06/17/2008 12:28 am
if so,why?
# 1
hunter1801
hunter1801
06/17/2008 1:27 am
Random, but whatever. Just make sure this topic stays civil
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/17/2008 1:45 am
I wouldn't say 'looked down upon'.
Maybe treated with more disdain than usual.

I guess it's to be expected.
I mean, if it was the French, British or Italians etc., who were responsible for 9/11, we'd be treating them the same way simply for the fact that they were from the same country.
# 3
quickfingers
quickfingers
06/19/2008 5:49 pm
i think the more serious issue is the prevailing christian ideals versus islamic ideals. i'm not religious but muslims still obvioulsy rub me the wrong way, seeing as their doctrines state that my lifestyle is punishable by death and damnation, and to kill me would be no more of a crime than slaughtering a filthy pig.

feel me? i don't have a problem with the people, i have a problem with their prevalent religion, and i think it's only natural to have distain towaeds individuals with such barbaristic mentalities.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 4
SiRMyztiq
Full Access PIMP!
SiRMyztiq
Full Access PIMP!
06/19/2008 7:58 pm
Ignorance feeds such kind of attitude so I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm Hispanic and I get confused for a middle-eastern all the time but middle-easterner's don't confuse me for one of them.

Weird.
# 5
earthman buck
earthman buck
06/19/2008 8:17 pm
Originally Posted by: quickfingersi think the more serious issue is the prevailing christian ideals versus islamic ideals. i'm not religious but muslims still obvioulsy rub me the wrong way, seeing as their doctrines state that my lifestyle is punishable by death and damnation, and to kill me would be no more of a crime than slaughtering a filthy pig.

That would be fundamentalist Islam. You'll find that many fundamentalist Christians say the same kinda things. Not all Muslims are like that.

And yes, I do think Middle Easterners are viewed in an unsatisfactory way these days, for the reason Kevin said. Sorta like how there was always that one jerkbag kid in your class who would throw an eraser at your teacher's head and make you all stay in for recess. It's a shame.
# 6
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
06/19/2008 8:59 pm
I never look down to muslims or see them as any different. But like all cultures, I always poke fun at the stereotypes. At the gas station/mart near my house (,the one of four stores in my town) I always talk to the guys that work their and a few of them are around my age (19) as well. Its funny though cause sometimes when I get out of my truck they say hey "then something in arab" and I'll be like **** you dude, don't gimme that abbuudy body ****.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 7
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
06/19/2008 9:36 pm
I've had to delete one post today. Please remember the rules of the forums, here is rule #3:

#3) There is no racism or other derogatory terms allowed at all....period

There's nothing wrong with discussing this kind of thing. Just watch your use of language. You may not see it as offensive but others may.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 8
ChipShank
Instructor - Knucklehead
ChipShank
Instructor - Knucklehead
06/23/2008 11:29 pm
I'm not preaching...or trying to sound self-righteous...I've got plenty of my own biases and issues with the world. LOL :confused:

But...
Being seen as an equal...not inferior...not a subordinate...not being looked down upon...is one of the basest of human desires. Be it a person, town, city, county, state, country, sex, race or religion....no one wants to be thought of as less than equal.
Beyond any and all religious/political/economic/goegraphical reasons for conflict on all levels around the world....being held down, looked down upon, being seen as less than equal....is probably THE biggest motivator towards conflict of any kind, when you really break it down to the core issues.

Light a stick on fire on both ends & hold one end down lower than the other...which end burns hotter & faster?

Cheesy metaphor I know....But human nature works in pretty much the same exact manner.
# 9
quickfingers
quickfingers
06/26/2008 11:08 pm
fundamentalist islam or not, it's hard to compare christianity. the koran has remained nearly unchanged since the first century A.D. which by nature brings out more devoted followers of the text. the vast majority of practicing muslims want to live in a government under religious doctrine...a far cry from the xtian fundies who complain about prayer in school.

i have my own reasons for disliking the pseudo-moral compass of the western world, but religion should have little, if anything to do with it. 13 year old girls dresseed and dolled up like hookers is a result of miseducation, poor parenting skills or to many tv shows, not religion (or lack thereof).
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 10
630BPM
630BPM
06/27/2008 10:25 am
BEcause they cant play THE guitar dude!
# 11
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/27/2008 2:39 pm
Individuals do not choose:

1. Where he or she is born.
2. What ethnic race his or her genes happen to be by accident of birth (color of skin, etc.).

Therefore these are not proper standards to use in judging them.

Individuals do choose:

1. What he or she thinks; the content of his or her mind.
2. What he or she does; the actions he or she decides to take.

Therefore these are proper standards to use in judging them.

Whether an individual is an Arab from Iraq, a Caucasian from Iowa, an African from Chad, an Asian from Vietnam, etc. is totally irrelevant in determining if that individual is morally good.

What is relevant is, the degree to which he or she thinks and acts rationally.

Does this individual earn his own way in the world? Does he produce the means of his own existence? Does he engage in productive behavior? If he chooses not to work and exist peacefully with others can he at least mind his own business and avoid interfering in or damaging other people's lives?

Or, does this individual exist by leeching the productivity of others? Does he engage in destructive behavior? Does he spend his time manufacturing imaginary grievances and claiming that mystical spirits are telling him to kill other people?

The old line about "Judge not ..." is doubly dangerously:
1. It gives destructive, irrational thoughts and actions a "free pass" when they should be condemned as morally wrong.
2. It ignores productive, rational thoughts and actions when they should be upheld and acknowledged as morally good.

It is crucially important to clearly identify and pass judgment on people; to identify the good and condemn the bad. But it is equally important that proper, objective standards be used to do this; based on the rationality of their thoughts and actions.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 12
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
06/27/2008 3:48 pm
Perfectly stated Mr. Schlegel. Thank you. Rep for you. :)
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 13
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
06/27/2008 3:50 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter60Perfectly stated Mr. Schlegel. Thank you. Rep for you. :)

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CSchlegel again."

Aw nuts - I guess I owe you one. :o
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.