A good man and great inspiration-Jason Becker

Hjorvard
Hjorvard
05/22/2008 8:11 am
Alot of times, great guitarists or musicians in general will be bombarded with fanmail and worship, and either because of being to busy or having an ego the size of Cleveland, they ignore you. Whether it be on purpose or not, it still leaves a void in said fans life or at least a tad bit of frustration when no response is imminent.

Well, I was born with an incurable nueromuscular disorder as some of you know, and though it is pronounced more in my lower extremeties, the tension in my hands is so slight but just enough to cause a hinderance to my playing. At one point a couple months ago the frustration became so much I broke down. I didn't know who to turn too, and so I started listening to Jason Becker's music and thought if anyone could relate it'd be him.

So I wrote him, pouring my heart out and certainly not expecting to get a response, but lo and behold he did in fact write me back. Out of all he's gone through, he said I was in his thoughts and prayers and that he was sorry..when in all honesty I was more sorry that such a nice and talented guy had been stricken by the cruel hand of fate. But what inspires me the most isn't what he said to me, it's what he does everyday. He's so talented with so much music in his head and though he can only move his eyes he still writes and composes all the time.

It's because of his inspiration and perserverance that I won't ever give up, and I must say I'm getting pretty good too :) In anycase, not sure this post was going anywhere but I felt like sharing that little story.
# 1
sandollars
Eternal Student
sandollars
Eternal Student
05/22/2008 11:48 am
Thanks for the share.

Don't look now, but you too are an inspiration to others.
'01 Ramirez 1a
07 Martin D-35
'62 DiGiorgio Grande Sonoridad Brazillian Rosewood
90's Strat
90's Jazz Bass
# 2
head_creeps
head_creeps
05/22/2008 5:30 pm
Originally Posted by: sandollars

+1

Keep on keeping on!!!!

head_creeps
# 3
Hjorvard
Hjorvard
05/22/2008 6:43 pm
Originally Posted by: sandollarsThanks for the share.

hehe I wouldn't go that far but if in the future I do happen to inspire others, there would be no greater gift than that.
# 4
Superhuman
Superhuman
05/22/2008 9:07 pm
Great post man, Jason Becker's music actually changed my life too. Up untill I heard 'Perpetual Burn' guitar solos were just about fast collections of notes, then I heard him play and everything changed. When I heard how sick he was I was devestated but then I read his story on myspace and his website and discovered that he is still going and working on a new project.

Although it was played by a friend of his Michael Lee Firkins (the best emulation of Jasons playing style I've ever heard), this track epitomises Beckers beautifull phrasing and amazing style (one of his slower pieces), check out the vid:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MkYD-vjkbiE
(the solo break that starts from 2.55 up to the awewsome shred passsages is one of my all time favourite guitar solos - the mosre you listen to it the more clever you realise it is, incredible piece of music)

Also, here's a documetnary you might like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3MPEYodaVU&NR=1

And Marty Friedman talking about how he was the most gifted player he has known:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=72kvNgdUBi4

PS, he is in the process of doing a new album, he wrote a load of music by moving his eyes to a computer program and the tracks are being performed by Marty Friedman and Steve Vai among others (check out his blog on myspace for the details).

Just looking back at this stuff is making me reach for his cd's... amazing guy
# 5

05/22/2008 9:35 pm
Great story and great show of perseverance on your part.

I've knowed about Jason Becker for quite some time. Not a lot of people know that but Jon Broderick (founder of GT) has a sister site called musicianwar.com. Each year, musicianwar.com releases a best of. All the proceed of the cd goes to the Jason Becker's foundation. I've been blessed to be part of that compilation for 5 years now and hope to continu as long as I can. It's been an honor to give something back to him. I've heard many stories of strength concerning Jason Becker and everytime, I'm floored by how he handles everything. His is one of a kind, the kind of people that helps you put everything into perspective.

Get to know Jason Becker if you've never heard of him. His story will touch you.
# 6
sandollars
Eternal Student
sandollars
Eternal Student
05/23/2008 4:05 am
Originally Posted by: BenoitGreat story and great show of perseverance on your part.

I've knowed about Jason Becker for quite some time. Not a lot of people know that but Jon Broderick (founder of GT) has a sister site called musicianwar.com. Each year, musicianwar.com releases a best of. All the proceed of the cd goes to the Jason Becker's foundation. I've been blessed to be part of that compilation for 5 years now and hope to continu as long as I can. It's been an honor to give something back to him. I've heard many stories of strength concerning Jason Becker and everytime, I'm floored by how he handles everything. His is one of a kind, the kind of people that helps you put everything into perspective.[/QUOTE]

Good post!

QUOTE=Benoit]Get to know Jason Becker if you've never heard of him. His story will touch you.

So will his music!
'01 Ramirez 1a
07 Martin D-35
'62 DiGiorgio Grande Sonoridad Brazillian Rosewood
90's Strat
90's Jazz Bass
# 7
Hjorvard
Hjorvard
05/23/2008 7:14 pm
Originally Posted by: BenoitGreat story and great show of perseverance on your part.

I've knowed about Jason Becker for quite some time. Not a lot of people know that but Jon Broderick (founder of GT) has a sister site called musicianwar.com. Each year, musicianwar.com releases a best of. All the proceed of the cd goes to the Jason Becker's foundation. I've been blessed to be part of that compilation for 5 years now and hope to continu as long as I can. It's been an honor to give something back to him. I've heard many stories of strength concerning Jason Becker and everytime, I'm floored by how he handles everything. His is one of a kind, the kind of people that helps you put everything into perspective.

Get to know Jason Becker if you've never heard of him. His story will touch you.

That is so awesome that you guys are able to do that for him! Maybe one day if I get good enough I'd like to contribute music as well. If it wasn't for his inspiration and my undying love for music, I most certainly would have given up.. from my perspective, I was ridiculed for being born different, and even now that I am left with pain and little more than a distinguished limp, I never knew the joy of running, or skipping, or standing on one leg or kneeling down..but I realize it's one thing to have never known something, then to have had the whole world at your finger tips and having it cruely stripped away. From my experience alone I have been left so jaded (though I am not so much now) so it realy is truly amazing how he can hold no grudges or hate, and adapt and continue on.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.