B Major...Little hand syndrome

Stephen Pengill
Stephen Pengill
05/07/2008 5:59 pm
Hi there,

I have gotten to the part in the beginner tutorial where I learn B Major chord (I also have the same problem with F major but there is another post about that).

With the B major chord my fingers simply won't reach. I can stretch them using my other hand but they ping back close together as soon as i let go :) I had been told this was a tricky chord to get down but damn!

Also I notice the instructor in the video is using a Fender Stratocaster. The size of each fret seems to be smaller than on my guitar (a Benson guitar from ebay which was part of a beginner kit). Could this be true or is it just the video perspective?

Stephen
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/07/2008 6:37 pm
The Fender may have a smaller or thinner neck than your own guitar.

You might try jumping ahead to using barre chords. I remember when I first started playing, I also had trouble with the F and B chords and that was one of the main reasons I started with barre chords instead.
Once I had those down, all the rest of the chords were simple.
# 2
BrokenJera
BrokenJera
05/07/2008 6:46 pm
that might just be the video scale (instructor has bigger hands/longer fingers) but im not familier with your guitar maker so i cant be sure.

there are many ways to play a B major chord. one tis to play it like a Barre chord. in which you use your first finger to play the root note (5th string 2nd fret) and your third finger to play the other 3 notes by 'Barring' them across the 4th 3rd and 2nd strings at the 4th fret. you will miss the high note F# on the 1st string. its not really right but it might work for now.

another thing that will take a while is to start doing finger streching trills, which is a rapid series of hammer on and pull offs. start with your 1st fing on the 3rd string and the 3rd fret, pick the note then hammer on your 2nd finger to the 4 th fret and pull off, keep doing that rapidly, then keep your 1st finger on the 3 fret and hammer on with your 2nd finger on the 5th fret. ii think you should have the idea by now. do this with all your fingers reaching as far as you can without hurting yourself. if you fell any pain other than the usual muscle soreness stop.

do that every day as part of your practice warmup and in a few weeks or or you should see an improvment in your reach. also move around the neck and strings with it.

if you have any questions just ask some one will help you out.
They say the END is near, but I'm Tired of waiting.
# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/08/2008 12:31 pm
Originally Posted by: Stephen PengillAlso I notice the instructor in the video is using a Fender Stratocaster. The size of each fret seems to be smaller than on my guitar (a Benson guitar from ebay which was part of a beginner kit). Could this be true or is it just the video perspective?

That is true. It's me and my '79 strat which has an "A neck" (Fender made A, B, C necks; all slightly different sizes & profile shapes). My hands are relatively small. Therefore I am using my favorite guitar there, which has a very small neck (thin across the frets and thin profile, too! Nice. :) )

Both Kevin & Jera offer good advice:

1. Go on ahead to other chords and things. Come back to the B chord later on on a regular basis and try it as you gradually improve your skill in other areas. If you are diligent in practicing, it will gradually get easier for you to do the B chord also.

2. Try finger stretching and strengthening exercises. But do not over do it. If you are reaching a PAIN level, then STOP! And go back to it later. It is counterproductive to continue playing through pain. Discomfort can be reasonably played through to a certain point. When it turns into actual PAIN, you need to give it a rest.

Another option: for now you can alternately play the B chord in one of these ways when it comes up in practice or songs (until you can manage the whole chord).

E |----------------|
B |--------4-------|
G |-----4--4-------|
D |--4--4--4-------|
A |--2--2----------|
E |----------------|

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes for you!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
Stephen Pengill
Stephen Pengill
05/08/2008 4:06 pm
Thanks everyone for the tips. I will try these tonight but not stress out too much about one little chord :)

I got the F down, more or less.

Chris, your beginner tutorials are great. Playing god save our greatest queen (I'm British!) went down a treat with my work colleagues :)

I 'finished' the first tutorial in three days... about an hour each day... Is this too fast? I have a tendancy to rush things but i want to learn to play properly..

Stephen
# 5
BrokenJera
BrokenJera
05/09/2008 2:23 am
if you can do everything in those tutorials and recall all the infomation relitively quick ly, as in play a c chord without having to look it up then id say your ok. speed in getting through these isnt what you want. you want to be able to use the info, so take your time and get it down correctly so you wont have to come back later.
They say the END is near, but I'm Tired of waiting.
# 6
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/09/2008 2:27 pm
Originally Posted by: Stephen PengillChris, your beginner tutorials are great. Playing god save our greatest queen (I'm British!) went down a treat with my work colleagues :)[/quote]
Glad to hear it. :) Here's how that came about:

A guy I play roller hockey with is the Sports Info Director at a local college. I do occassional backing tracks for his sports webcasts, local radio shows & spots, etc. Last year he asked for the "Star Spangled Banner" in electric guitar form.

We got to talking about how a lot of the newer soccer guys on his college's team are British. I told him I could do "God Save The Queen" for them to play before their matches. He thought it was a neat idea and apparently they loved it.

Then I realized that I could turn all my studio tracks of it into a Brian May inspired tutorial. Because I did it essentially how he did (at the end of Queen's "Night at The Opera") - 4 part close harmony guitars playing the melody through.
[QUOTE=Stephen Pengill]
I 'finished' the first tutorial in three days... about an hour each day... Is this too fast?

It takes as long as it takes. And that is going to be different for every individual. Just be totally honest with yourself about judging whether or not you really know and can do the stuff in the beginner courses. It's always there for you to review if necessary.

Jera is right in pointing out you want to be able to use the stuff in the beginner courses. If some idea, chord, scale, technique, etc. is in the those courses, it's there for a reason: it forms the fundamental basis of guitar technique and you will need it in order to move forward and learn anything else!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.