equipment suggestions?

srpianojrguitar
srpianojrguitar
04/22/2008 5:39 am
hi everyone. been a while since ive been to this site haha. but i was thinking about getting into a bit of recording again, but i thought that, oh i dont know, maybe i could record in DEC ENT quality haha. but i think i have a better idea of what im looking for, i just need the people with the know how to help a bit.

im just looking for straight forward (record playing directley into computer)

i think this would do the trick, would it not?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-TonePort-GX-USB-Recording-Interface-104484647-i1275725.gc

because i think then id be able to just buy a condenser mic and plug the stereo jack into that and just start crackin.

also. i have this old old yamaha keyboard. it has a midi plug in the back. do i just get a midi to usb cable and record into the music software?

and finally, im looking for some programs. right now i edit music with sony vegas and audacity. i was wondering whether there was better programs for music recording/editing(for pc) and maybe an digital drum program. it doesnt matter if its freeware or not.

also, while im at it. do youguys know what the best recording mic is for 100 bucks?

thanks a ton guys.
You come into this world naked, you leave this world naked

-You dont leave the world naked

You do if you plan it right

HEYYY AQUAALUNNGGGGG!
# 1

04/22/2008 11:30 am
As far as recording software goes, the biggest name is always a good investment. Softwares like Sonar (http://www.cakewalk.com/) or Cubase (http://www.steinberg.net).

If you play an electric guitar, you pretty much have two options. Either record direct or mic you amp. I go direct. Depending on your gear, you might already be able to do that. I use a Line6 Spider amp and it comes with a line-out. I could connect the line-out of the amp directly in the LINE-IN of my sound card.

I didn't test out many mics but I have a SURE SM57. I think I paid around 100$ and it does a very good job.
# 2
Superhuman
Superhuman
04/22/2008 11:00 pm
The big name brands are great, Steinberg, Digidesign etc... but Reaper is just as good and it's free to download (you are asked to buy the licence for small money if you like it but there is no obligation). It has all of the flexibility of Cubase including VST plug-ins and midi compatability (something ProTools does not have) plus it has the user friendliness and mixing abiltieis of ProTools. It's also a very small installer (only a few MB's). Get it here: http://www.cockos.com/reaper/download.php

I bought Cubase SX3 about a year or two ago and I was not very impressed when I discovered Reaper and found that it was just as good and free to download - the licence works out at about 15 times cheaper than Cubase SX3 ($50 compared to $750). Get it, it's an excellent program!
# 3
srpianojrguitar
srpianojrguitar
04/23/2008 1:19 am
Originally Posted by: BenoitAs far as recording software goes, the biggest name is always a good investment. Softwares like Sonar (http://www.cakewalk.com/) or Cubase (http://www.steinberg.net).

If you play an electric guitar, you pretty much have two options. Either record direct or mic you amp. I go direct. Depending on your gear, you might already be able to do that. I use a Line6 Spider amp and it comes with a line-out. I could connect the line-out of the amp directly in the LINE-IN of my sound card.

I didn't test out many mics but I have a SURE SM57. I think I paid around 100$ and it does a very good job.

i only have a small practice amp that came with a ****ty epiphone guitar i have. and as far as my sound card, i have a mic in, but its 3.5mm so id have to get an adaptor for another cable. and i dont think it would end up being very good quality. so i think i might just get the line in thingy up above since it can do it easier.

and thanks for the software suggetsions
You come into this world naked, you leave this world naked

-You dont leave the world naked

You do if you plan it right

HEYYY AQUAALUNNGGGGG!
# 4
Superhuman
Superhuman
04/23/2008 12:24 pm
You still need something better than the regular line in to capture good quality sound. A usb direct guitar processor like a PODxt or a Boss GT8 etc is a great starting point or you can go for a good quality pci or firewire soundcard. A great sound card that has built in preamps, eight 1/4 inch ins/outs, xlr in out and midi - also has independent headphone amp is the Echo Layla 3G. Great value for money especially from E-Bay.
# 5
dimin
dimin
05/01/2008 2:15 pm
This looks overly simplistic, but read the entire web page and you'll find that it works for me as well as a lot of other people I know.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1901
# 6
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
05/01/2008 7:57 pm
The guitar Port will work great for getting tones on your PC, not to mention you can d/l more tones from the Line 6 site. I use a toneport and I'm very satisfied.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 7
Jazz1234man
Jazz1234man
05/12/2008 9:57 am
I have been playing for years (some semi-pro in the past), but am getting too long in the tooth now to go through this again, so I thought I would start to record my own tracks (just for fun and a good laugh).. However, I don't see many 4-track machines for sale (cassette tape type) any more.. Can anyone advise me on a cheap (easy to use) option for purchase please...????

Thanks.. Jazzman :D :D
# 8
Superhuman
Superhuman
05/12/2008 1:23 pm
Originally Posted by: Jazz1234manI have been playing for years (some semi-pro in the past), but am getting too long in the tooth now to go through this again, so I thought I would start to record my own tracks (just for fun and a good laugh).. However, I don't see many 4-track machines for sale (cassette tape type) any more.. Can anyone advise me on a cheap (easy to use) option for purchase please...????

Thanks.. Jazzman :D :D

Get a nice soundcard - loads of options there, I would recoomend either the Firewire Studio or the Echo Layla 3G but anything with a 1/4 inch, XLR and midi ins and outs will do - just make sure there is also a decent preamp built in. Then download Reaper (all in one recording, editing and sequencing suite) - that's all you need. You can download loads of free VST (virtual instruments) to add effects to what you record for mixing. A nice soundcard will allow you to plug your guitar direct - you can also look at the likes of the PODxt, or the Tone Port for direct recording - those units are a good way of easing back into recording, easy to use and the sounds are not too bad plus they double up as soundcards.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.