View post (equipment suggestions?)

View thread

Superhuman
Superhuman
05/12/2008 1:23 pm
Originally Posted by: Jazz1234manI have been playing for years (some semi-pro in the past), but am getting too long in the tooth now to go through this again, so I thought I would start to record my own tracks (just for fun and a good laugh).. However, I don't see many 4-track machines for sale (cassette tape type) any more.. Can anyone advise me on a cheap (easy to use) option for purchase please...????

Thanks.. Jazzman :D :D

Get a nice soundcard - loads of options there, I would recoomend either the Firewire Studio or the Echo Layla 3G but anything with a 1/4 inch, XLR and midi ins and outs will do - just make sure there is also a decent preamp built in. Then download Reaper (all in one recording, editing and sequencing suite) - that's all you need. You can download loads of free VST (virtual instruments) to add effects to what you record for mixing. A nice soundcard will allow you to plug your guitar direct - you can also look at the likes of the PODxt, or the Tone Port for direct recording - those units are a good way of easing back into recording, easy to use and the sounds are not too bad plus they double up as soundcards.