Share your BEST compliments/musical experiences!

PValenti
PValenti
04/11/2008 4:57 pm
Hey all!

I thought that I would create a topic for sharing your best kudos or musical experiences. Perhaps this could be expanded to a whole portion of it's own on the forums?

Anyway...if it's something that just made your day, or even if it's just funny or ironic...or even if you've got a 'worst gig ever' story...lets hear it AND if you have pictures...post them puppies!

I'll start things off-

This story needs a bit of set-up first. About 20 years ago I was playing with a band called "One Night Stand" in a local dive. During the set I did a cover of a Missouri tune called "Movin' On". After the set some guy with short hair who worked at the bar came up and introduced himself to me as the bass player for Missouri (I don't recall his name...but it was him). He said that he had written that song and he proceeded to call me all kinds of 4-letter words and basically told me that it was HIS song and that I'd better never play it again. Needless to say it was the last time I played in that club because I did that song again the very next set...TWICE! lol

Anyway...so I was playing with my band "RiverGard" on Saturday March 15th of this year (2008) and during one of the sets I again did "Movin' On" by Missouri. After the set a waitress came up to me and handed me this napkin -

I immediately showed it to my band-mates and then asked the waitress who had given her this. She pointed to his table and I spent the rest of that break having a drink with Bill Larson and talking about the 'good old days'! Needless to say...I think that the car floated home that night!

OK...now time for YOUR stories and pictures! Post them up people!

:D
Sincerely,

Paul Valenti - Guitar/Vocals - RiverGard
www.RiverGard.com
www.myspace.com/RiverGard
# 1
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
04/11/2008 5:09 pm
That's a great story! Thanks. :)
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 2
earthman buck
earthman buck
04/11/2008 7:37 pm
Hahaha, great story.

This story's probably been told in some other thread at some point in time, but my band's first show went pretty well. It was a CD release party for a local band called Two Steps Back, and they were nice enough to let us open for everyone. We played our set, and everyone just kinda stood there nodding their heads, not really moving around or anything. We thought it was a failure until we realized that we just weren't the style of music everyone there was into. The other bands there were kinda that screamy new-punk-metal-whateveryoucallit stuff, and we were more of a regular rock band.

The other bands, we later found out, were actually moderately famous, at least in my area; Moments of Brilliance, Kincaide, Shotgun Rules. We'd heard some of their songs playing on the radio, we just didn't know it was them until after. They said they would have never guessed it was our first show if they hadn't known, and said they 'could tell we listened to a lot of classic rock,' which we thought were huge compliments. Some girls even asked us for our autographs. Later, this guy from another band asked us if we wanted to play with them the following month. So we said yes.

The second show had way less people, probably because the more famous-ish bands weren't there, it was all local stuff. It was sort of anticlimactic, but there were some cool parts. Everyone said we sounded a lot better. This one little kid came up to us and said he thought we were the best band there, which was pretty cool. We could see all the other bands' parents nodding their heads along to our songs, which I think may have been the single coolest thing ever. We heard from more than one of these band parents that we "sounded just like the Doors." Which of course we did not, but still.
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/11/2008 10:44 pm
Backed this guy up in Sioux Saint Marie and just had to have a pic of his 3 neck guitar.

# 4
PValenti
PValenti
04/12/2008 12:07 am
Man that's awesome! Thanks for that. :D
Sincerely,

Paul Valenti - Guitar/Vocals - RiverGard
www.RiverGard.com
www.myspace.com/RiverGard
# 5
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
04/22/2008 9:27 pm
[U]Coolest moment for me......[/U]
We (Havoc Din) opened up for Stuck Mojo a while back. The guitar player and founder of Stuck Mojo, Rich Ward, came up to me after their set and gave me all kinds of compliments on my tone and playing. That meant a lot since I had been a huge fan of them for like 10 years and Rich was a big influence on me.

[U]Funniest moment for me......[/U]
We were playing in Raleigh NC, and in the middle of a song, I turned around with my back to the crowd...I then proceeded to take a few too many steps backwards and-----FLOP-----fell right off the stage and landed flat on my back. A couple of people tried to catch me but was unsuccessful. I was laying there on my back still playing. This one guy grabbed my foot and started dragging me around the floor....I just kept on playing. Actually got some compliments after the show for not missing a lick during all of this..

[U]Worst moment for me....[/U]
Xanax, beer, and whiskey before a set......enough said b/c I don't even remember playing the show, which was a 1 hour set. I was told it was bad...
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 6
polansky
polansky
05/07/2008 8:47 pm
OK this happenend when I was a Drummer, a music store sponsored us to play in this weird mall, so we took it.

We had to play in the foud court and it was packed... with 5 to 9 year olds... don't know why.

During the gig it was akward cause little children were bangign on the raiser and the vocalist mic catched the stomps... a bit of hell, but we where playing fine.

At the end of the set I went "backstage" and started talking with a friend who was on the mixing board, suddenly two girls (bout 9 yrs old) come to me and said..."you are the wolrd gratest drummer, can we have your autograph?"... bro we were selling our demo cassette (damn that sounded old... cassette), I asked the bass player for 2 tapes removed the plastic wrapping and signed those for the girls.

That day I felt like a real rockstar... I'll remember that moment as long as I live.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.