Lessons...

emarwood
emarwood
04/07/2008 8:53 pm
My fingers are killing me, but I can't seem to want to put the guitar down for longer than it takes for my fingers to feel whether they're ready to get to work again. :D
I've just been out to a lesson, I've had one to one at my place a couple of times before today, and my teacher has kind of passed me on to another younger, cuter, yummier...
sorry where was I...oh right lessons, apparently he was a struggling musician, he's been in bands, DJing and all sorts.
And he's actually new at this teaching thing.

Any way getting to the point, does anybody here find that the more they like the teacher the more they put in on the practicing? :p Or has it got nothing to do with it what so ever? :cool:
We know not the minute or the hour. We should live each lipgloss as if it's our last. (Marian Keys. The Nicest Thing That Ever Happened to Me)
# 1

04/07/2008 9:42 pm
It's often a question on motivation. If you have fun while doing the lessons, you'll naturally find it easier to apply yourself. You won't mind working harder.

It's just like in school. I used to hate chemistry until I got a really cool teacher. He made things fun and interesting. Altho I never got good at chemistry, I really liked his classes :)

If you did find a teacher that makes working hard easier, by all means do everything in your power to stay with this teacher. It's not often you can find someone like that.
# 2
emarwood
emarwood
04/08/2008 7:18 am
I've only had that one lesson with him so far. And like I said he told me he is new to the teaching thing. But you can see he's got the passion.
I love music, there is nothing I can put above that. Even my reading, and I am a self confessed book-a-holic. :p
But I know what my mum is like, she'll acuse me of flirting with him. And developing a crush on him, even though I know nothing about him (she has already started saying it).
We know not the minute or the hour. We should live each lipgloss as if it's our last. (Marian Keys. The Nicest Thing That Ever Happened to Me)
# 3
Jose Daniel
Jose Daniel
04/08/2008 12:57 pm
Hey Emarwood,

Yeah, I find that when I like the teacher, my progress and results are extremely powerful! I think one of the factors that will help determine what kind of player one is going to become, although not every bit of it, is the quality of the teacher that one has.

Cool, keep on practicing! And continue learning as much as you can from that teacher!

Carpe diem,
Jose Daniel
Many drops of water make a river, many grains of rice make a large basket, do not underestimate your own potential, and do not think of any good deed as too small to do. - Master Shih Cheng-yen

Positive and negative emotions cannot occupy the mind at the same time. One or the other must dominate. It is your responsibility to make sure that positive emotions constitute the dominating influence of your mind. - Napoleon Hill
# 4
emarwood
emarwood
04/08/2008 7:59 pm
Originally Posted by: RickBwarn
You're lucky to have a great teacher, I just hope you're learning more about music than romance ;)

Luck would be a fine thing. :lol: :rolleyes: Some how I don't think I'm his type. Any how I'm paying him to teach me. Though out of class hours would be alright...

Jose Daniel thanks for the sound advice. I will work my butt sorry fingers off. :D
# 5
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
04/08/2008 8:44 pm
The fingers hurting is why most people give up learning to play guitar. Especially my younger students, but those that get past it are unstoppable.

Keep on practicing, and you'll be past that stage soon.

JD
# 6
emarwood
emarwood
04/09/2008 9:16 pm
I'll definitely try to pass through that pain barrier. I'll tell you what though. I am so annoyed with myself.
My teacher (Kurt) gave me this print out about how to tune up. And he said to give it ago as it's self explanatory. And that in the next lesson he will be un-tuning a string and I'll have to find out which one and put it right.

So Yesterday right I hear the sound not being as sharp as when he'd tuned it up for me right. So I thought right, perfect opportunity.
Well! I've completely buggered the thing up haven't I. And I've almost had enough of being so out of tune.

But I've got this book mum bought me for Chrimbo "Acoustic Guitar Private Lessons Acoustic Guitar Lead and Melody Basics" which has a CD in it and right at the beginning of it I believe there is a bit where they have plucked the strings of one which is tuned. So I might try playing that.
But I don't think I'm very good by doing it by ear.
I just seem to know that it doesnt sound right. But I'll be buggered if I can figure out how to sort it properly. :mad: :( :confused:
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.